PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] iPhone OS 4.0 Reveal April 9th & How to Follow

NeoRicen
6th April 2010, 02:26 AM
From Engadget:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/04/top.jpg

Yes folks -- the world is turning upside down. Apple has announced an iPhone OS 4 event on April 8th at 10AM for a "sneak peek of the next generation of iPhone OS software." So if you're wondering about the future of the platform... your answers will appear sooner than you think. The team collectively dropped an "OMG" when we saw this news, as it's pretty unusual to see such a big event coming from Apple right on the heels of something like the iPad launch. Of course we'll be there -- at Apple's Infinite Loop campus in Cupertino -- live and direct, providing the liveblogging coverage you know and love.
That's early Friday morning this week here in Australia.

NeoRicen
6th April 2010, 02:36 AM
So, Apple has announced they're holding another press event, but you're not a member of the press! How are you supposed to follow what's going on and see what new goodies Apple has for us?

Read this FAQ to find out.

Q: When is the Event being held?

A: On Thursday the 8th of April, at the Apple Town Hall in Cupertino.

That equates to the following times on Friday the 9th of April in Australia:

1:00AM in Western Australia
2:30AM in the Northern Territory and South Australia
3:00AM in Queensland, News South Wales, Victoria & Tasmania

Q: Who will be delivering the presentation?

A: Being an iPhone OS announcement Steve Jobs will likely make an appearance, but expect the bulk of the presentation to be handled by Scott Forstall, VP of iPhone Software. Phil Schiller will probably make an appearance as well as a few developers to show off what OS 4.0 can do.

Q: What is Apple going to announce at this event?

A: iPhone OS 4.

Q: Will Apple stream the event live?

A: No.

Q: Is there another way to follow the event live?

A: Yes, while Apple themselves doesn't offer the content of the event until after it has finished, many hard working bloggers and journalists post a continuous stream of short text updates about what is happening on stage in what is called a 'live blog'.

Engadget will be running one here. (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/live-from-apples-iphone-os-4-event/)
gdgt here. (http://live.gdgt.com/2010/04/08/live-iphone-os-4-0-event-coverage/)
Gizmodo here. (http://live.gizmodo.com/)
Ars Technica here. (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/iphone-os-4-special-event-cupertino-liveblog.ars)

Q: Will Apple make a video of the event available?

A: Yes.

While Apple hasn't actually announced plans to release a video of the keynote, they have released videos of every event for the last several years without announcing their intentions to do so ahead of time.

Q: When will they make the video available?

A: Videos are usually posted the afternoon of the event, which is usually by 12pm AEST.

Q: How can I get the event video when it is made available?

Once the video is made available, a link should appear on the front page of Apple.com (http://www.apple.com/) and on Apple's events page (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/).

Alternatively you can subscribe to the Apple Keynotes podcast (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=275834665) (iTunes link) using iTunes. The event video should be added to the podcast feed around the same time it is posted to Apple's website.

If you are working, at school, or just want to watch the keynote spoiler-free, subscribe to the podcast and set it to refresh every hour, and it should be ready for you when you get home in the afternoon.

FineWine
6th April 2010, 07:04 AM
Wonder if they will also announce "One More Thing" say, like, iLife10 & iWorks10 (or 11)

gamblor
6th April 2010, 07:12 AM
I can't remember - did the 3GS get announced at the same time as the 3.0 software announcement? If so, YAY - new iPhones!

HIGHLY suspect we will find out about international iPad availability and pricing.

Bring on Friday!

Remy
6th April 2010, 07:57 AM
I can't remember - did the 3GS get announced at the same time as the 3.0 software announcement? If so, YAY - new iPhones!

HIGHLY suspect we will find out about international iPad availability and pricing.

Bring on Friday!

No, last year there was a preview of iPhone OS 3.0 in February. New iPhones (3GS) & release of 3.0 was in June at WWDC.

As for international iPad availability/pricing, I expect we'll see that before Friday (not at the event anyway) but I'm only guessing.

mitty
6th April 2010, 08:30 AM
Yay, about time! Looking forward to this. Hopefully they'll introduce some cool home screen widget style system and I won't need to jailbreak again.

jack112006
6th April 2010, 08:46 AM
I'm think the big new feature of 4.0 will be multitasking. Just like rumoured, you will double tap the home button (I personally believe that a 4-finger swipe is better) and you will see an expose-like display, and then you just tap on the app you want to change to. When in expose, you will be able to kill an app by tapping a little close button (like when moving apps on home screens).

I also believe that there will updated UI elements. iPhone and iPod touch will be brought inline with iPad, although things like popovers will remain iPad exclusive. Another nice thing to have would be built-in apps that work well no matter how you hold your iDevice, just like iPad.

mitty
6th April 2010, 08:59 AM
Anthony may as well not bother trying to re-sync himself with our timezone, he'll be better of being wide awake on Friday morning :)

lord
6th April 2010, 09:58 AM
I call bullshit.

Only gizmodo actually has this 'source'. Engadget and MacRumors are linking to that article.

grfxninja
6th April 2010, 10:11 AM
Multi tasking doesn't really bother me (though if it was available, I would no doubt use it all the time) but what I would really like to see is a useful lock screen - like the mockups that have been floating around for a while now.
Stuff like Next couple of appointments/to do items, last couple of received emails etc (I think this might be possible with a JB but I couldn't be stuffed)

asgr8
6th April 2010, 11:45 AM
new lock screen,
unified inbox as steve said,
very limited multitasking (maybe two 3rd party apps at the time)

Remy
6th April 2010, 11:47 AM
I call bullshit.

Only gizmodo actually has this 'source'. Engadget and MacRumors are linking to that article.

It's not fake.

Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/apple-holding-iphone-os-4-event-april-8th/) received the invitation themselves, here. They didn't link to Giz in the article.
Gizmodo (http://beta.gizmodo.com/5509821/apple-iphone-os-4-revealed-on-april-8) says "Apple's just sent an invite" No 'source'.
MacRumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/05/iphone-os-4-0-preview-event-scheduled-for-this-thursday/) never gets invites to the press events, so they just linked to whoever got it first.

nibbles
6th April 2010, 12:02 PM
I can't wait, I am going to update to the latest iPod touch when it's released as my first gen isn't big enough and is a bit slow sometimes so hopefully it will be soon. I was going to jailbreak my iPod this week for some of the features the actual software lacks but now I will wait for the keynote.

What I would like from the keynote & what I think will happen:
- multi tasking in the OS
- the option to have a background image on it
- no set orientation for the home screen
- new iPod touch with brushed aluminium back (like the iPad)
- new macbook pro's even though I don't plan on buying one soon
- possibly new iPod refresh but probably only minor changes
- mention of a new iPhone and possibly an advanced preview
- A new weather app along with a few others built in

And lots more but being apple all we can do is guess

The Fluffy Duck
6th April 2010, 12:28 PM
All I can say guys is DONT INSTALL THE BETA. If it was anything like 3.0beta its going to be arse and not worth it :(

Remy
6th April 2010, 01:17 PM
This is a software event only, so I wouldn't expect anything other than OS 4.0 to come out of Friday's keynote.

iJohn
6th April 2010, 01:20 PM
I reckon they will release the new iphone this week and on for sale in june!!!

imacattack
6th April 2010, 02:22 PM
I reckon they will release the new iphone this week and on for sale in june!!!

I hope so finger crossed and i am hoping we will see a new designed case to match the current iMacs, Macbooks & iPads. ;)

Melishunt
6th April 2010, 02:41 PM
Forgive my stupidity, but are you all anticipating an iPhone OS release update (software???) or an entirely new generation of iPhone???

tcn33
6th April 2010, 02:58 PM
I'm guessing just a preview (and SDK release) for iPhone OS 4.0. Nothing about the next model of iPhone itself, no hardware of any kind discussed on the day. (Wouldn't be surprised if there's some variety of small speed bump released earlier in the day, but nothing actually discussed during the event itself.)

In fact, probably something very similar to the OS 3.0 event (http://www.macworld.com/article/139401/2009/03/appleevent.html) in March 2009.

mitty
6th April 2010, 03:03 PM
In fact, probably something very similar to the OS 3.0 event (http://www.macworld.com/article/139401/2009/03/appleevent.html) in March 2009.

Agreed.

It only makes sense. Tell everyone now about all the whizbang new features that will hopefully be available in OS 4.0, give the devs a beta to allow them to make a bunch of new cool apps, and then release it all at the same time as the Iphone 3GSi (or whatever letter they tack on this time).

gehenna
6th April 2010, 03:04 PM
Iphone 3GSi (or whatever letter they tack on this time).

iPhone 3GS∞+1

Remy
6th April 2010, 03:17 PM
Word is they'll call it the iPhone HD.

Personally, I see no need for additions. Call it an iPhone, and people will flock no matter what processor/networking/resolution it has.

Phormic
6th April 2010, 03:33 PM
Ah brilliant! I wonder what surprises we have in store for us? Will Scott "Crazy Eyes" Forstall dress and sound even more like Steve?

Will we have another interminably boring presentation from EA's Travis Boatman who will show us another 70 level 3D game created entirely from scratch in half an hour (and would have been quicker but the programmer had to take a toilet break)?

Will Google be dumped for Bing with a "boom!" from Steve?

Will Phil "Man Boobs" Schiller make a cameo appearance with yet another wart on his face?

All these questions to be revealed...

NeoRicen
6th April 2010, 06:41 PM
Guys there's not going to be a new iPhone.

June 2007: iPhone released.
March 2008: iPhone OS 2.0 revealed.
June 2008: iPhone 3G revealed, iPhone OS 2.0 released.
March 2009: iPhone OS 3.0 revealed.
June 2009: iPhone 3GS revealed, iPhone OS 3.0 released.
April 2010: iPhone OS 4.0 revealed

Guess what's happening in June? Doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Frankly I'm surprised so many people have failed to see this pattern and are under the impression the iPhones themselves were revealed in March.

Not to mention, a new iPhone announced in Apple's own tiny venue? Not a chance.

This event is primarily for the benefit of developers.

nibbles
6th April 2010, 06:56 PM

June 2007: iPhone released.
March 2008: iPhone OS 2.0 revealed.
June 2008: iPhone 3G revealed, iPhone OS 2.0 released.
March 2009: iPhone OS 3.0 revealed.
June 2009: iPhone 3GS revealed, iPhone OS 3.0 released.
April 2010: iPhone OS 4.0 revealed

Guess what's happening in June? Doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Frankly I'm surprised so many people have failed to see this pattern and are under the impression the iPhones themselves were revealed in March.

Not to mention, a new iPhone announced in Apple's own tiny venue? Not a chance.

Good point, I'll take a look into their release patterns which I hadn't done maybe it will be iPhone OS 4 and that's it

EDIT: iPod touch release dates have been feb '07, sept 9th '08, sept 9th '09 which is unfortunate as it looks like we won't be receiving new ones anytime soon

Macbook pros usually have an early and a late cycle same with macbooks and possibly iMacs

Xserves look like they may be due for an update and with the iPad release it may have thrown the cycle out the door

zillatron
6th April 2010, 07:15 PM

Spot on.

'Uncle' Phil said it ages ago when they pulled out of Macworld:

"He noted that Apple marches to certain product cycles, the educational buying season (late summer), the iPod product cycle (October), the iLife development cycle (usually March), the iPhone cycle (June). January doesn’t fit ANY of them."

Obviously this is before iPad was announced (which, may now run annually from April) and the iPhone was still the new kid on the block - but there is no reason, or rumours, to say this is changing.

Dan

NeoRicen
6th April 2010, 07:15 PM
Good point, I'll take a look into their release patterns which I hadn't done maybe it will be iPhone OS 4 and that's it

EDIT: iPod touch release dates have been feb '07, sept 9th '08, sept 9th '09 which is unfortunate as it looks like we won't be receiving new ones anytime soon

Macbook pros usually have an early and a late cycle same with macbooks and possibly iMacs

Xserves look like they may be due for an update and with the iPad release it may have thrown the cycle out the door
I think you mean September 2007 for the iPod touch, not February. iPods, touch included, have been September every year since at least 2005, probably longer.

They will get the 4.0 software update at the same time as the iPhone though, for a cost.

nibbles
6th April 2010, 08:50 PM
I think you mean September 2007 for the iPod touch, not February. iPods, touch included, have been September every year since at least 2005, probably longer.

They will get the 4.0 software update at the same time as the iPhone though, for a cost.

No, no definitely not I was right February 05, 2008 from the apple site it self Apple - Support - Technical Specifications (http://support.apple.com/specs/#ipodtouch)

kyte
7th April 2010, 09:48 AM

bingo. They also probably would be wanting to keep the fuss well and truly away from the worldwide iPad release.

I'll look forward to iPhoneOS4 in June, and I'll update my 3GS, but I won't be upgrading to a new phone until next year (or the year after, if the iPad is all that it promises to be)

zillatron
7th April 2010, 01:10 PM
... but I won't be upgrading to a new phone until next year (or the year after, if the iPad is all that it promises to be)

you wont be upgrading to the latest hardware just because it's the latest hardware?! and you call yourself a fanboy...pffffft :P

Dan

obzelite
7th April 2010, 06:50 PM
i wouldn't expect much.
more info on the lock screen, maybe calender, new email messages.
email app will check for new email without the need to open it.
home screen will rotate.
under the hood stuff to improve battery life.

you may see sub menus in the icons, so instead of side scrolling thru six or seven screens of icons, you click on a games icon and all your games are there.
These may follow the way things are divided in the itunes store.

just my 2c

gikku
7th April 2010, 06:54 PM
i wouldn't expect much.

email app will check for new email without the need to open it.

just my 2c

got this already.
perhaps a unified inbox for all your email accounts.

benb
7th April 2010, 07:12 PM
No, no definitely not I was right February 05, 2008 from the apple site it self Apple - Support - Technical Specifications (http://support.apple.com/specs/#ipodtouch)
Actually that is the revision date on the support doc. It was updated in Feb 2008 for the addition of the 32GB model. The 8 and 16GB models were introduced on the 5th September 2007 (see iPod Touch - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod_touch)).

mestevie
7th April 2010, 07:54 PM
I predict that the 3G phone will be dropped from the upgrade cycle and that only 3GS and iPhone 2010 will be able to run OS4....

W9cae
7th April 2010, 08:28 PM
I predict that the 3G phone will be dropped from the upgrade cycle and that only 3GS and iPhone 2010 will be able to run OS4....

I was saying similar today at the Mac cave. How Apple will do this will be interesting. But they did similar with the iPod classic and the new model was not different in architecture.

It has to do with model numbers of a specific device.

mac_man_luke
7th April 2010, 08:55 PM

I think it will be free for ipod users now that the stupid law that made them charge for it no longer exists

nibbles
7th April 2010, 09:14 PM
Do you guys think that it will support first generation iPod touches? I am wanting a new touch anyway so I hope they release them on friday but I doubt they will

Remy
8th April 2010, 12:25 PM

I don't know about the 3G model, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple dropped support for the first generation iPhone & iPod touch.

In that case, I'd also expect them to make last year's 3.0 software update free for iPod touch owners, so that at least they'll be able to update to the latest compatible version.

ipwn
8th April 2010, 03:25 PM
Neo,

Links are up

Gizmodo Liveblog (http://live.gizmodo.com/)
Live from Apple's iPhone OS 4 event! -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/live-from-apples-iphone-os-4-event/)

Stock up on redbull before you get home!

Melishunt
8th April 2010, 03:36 PM
thanks ipwn

Remy
8th April 2010, 03:36 PM
Here's Ars (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/iphone-os-4-special-event-cupertino-liveblog.ars) too.

W9cae
8th April 2010, 03:55 PM
Will MacTalk be doing the live compare thing to the blogs ?

decryption
8th April 2010, 04:41 PM
Will MacTalk be doing the live compare thing to the blogs ?

Nah, don't have the energy :(

nibbles
8th April 2010, 04:57 PM
Nah, don't have the energy :(

You mean i'm actually going to have to battle the slooooooooooow sites as heaps of people hit them up instead of listening half asleep to you podcast, is there anybody doing a podcast for me to listen to live

Melishunt
8th April 2010, 05:42 PM
whats the go with these things? I've never been online when one was live, I've only ever watched the uploaded links via the apple site. How do we watch it and keep up to date live? Is there a video 'streeamed' or do we have to wait untill it's over and it's been uploaded onto the web. Which won't be untill about 4am in the morning... By then I will have polished off half a bottle of scotch and be in my undies eating nachos half asleep playing Tiger woods golf on the wii

NeoRicen
8th April 2010, 05:59 PM
I think it will be free for ipod users now that the stupid law that made them charge for it no longer exists
Actually, the law (pretty sure it was actually just a standard practice, not a 'law') was that Apple had to count iPhone revenue over the 2 year contract, instead of counting all the revenue up front, when the phone was sold. So a $499 iPhone (about what Apple would get from AT&T) would count as $62 of revenue a quarter for two years, instead of $499 the quarter the phone was sold. At least that's how I understood it.

The standard was recently changed however so that Apple could count all the revenue they earn from an iPhone sale up front.

Apple's excuse for charging for the iPod software update was that the iPod touch was accounted for all up front, and therefore they couldn't add new features via a software update without charging. This is, of course, complete and utter bullshit, but it was their excuse.

If they stick to that logic (which they won't) then they'll actually need to charge for iPhone software updates and iPod updates. Of course they're not going to do that, and your guess is as good as mine as to what BS excuse they come up with this time.

whats the go with these things? I've never been online when one was live, I've only ever watched the uploaded links via the apple site. How do we watch it and keep up to date live? Is there a video 'streeamed' or do we have to wait untill it's over and it's been uploaded onto the web. Which won't be untill about 4am in the morning... By then I will have polished off half a bottle of scotch and be in my undies eating nachos half asleep playing Tiger woods golf on the wii
I really hope you're joking. Look at the second post of this very thread.

Ecto1
8th April 2010, 06:33 PM
So how are we thinking tomorrow morning will go down? I think it be like this.

Steve will come out and talk about the iPad and how it's done better then they expected which will follow with the iPhone. That will lead to 4.0 OS and Steve will pass it on to freaky bug eye's. After it's all said and done Steve will come back and say oh and one more thing 4.0 is shipping today. Everyone will cheer and music will play.

BowieNIN
8th April 2010, 06:38 PM
never followed a live blog before - what do people recommend out o the choices we have??

decryption
8th April 2010, 06:38 PM
Anyone staying up for the event tonight at 3AM? I dunno if I will. I kinda should so I can take notes and have a post up when it's over, summarising it - but I'm also just back in my sleeping pattern from the USA trip and staying up/getting up early will destroy it again :(

entropy
8th April 2010, 06:42 PM
What I find amusing about Scotty forstall's presentation is the mitre. He always says about three words before distinctly pausing for a beat, then saying the rest of the sentence.

He obviously has a problem with speaking too fast when he is nervous and has been coached to slow down.

jack112006
8th April 2010, 06:47 PM
Anyone staying up for the event tonight at 3AM? I dunno if I will. I kinda should so I can take notes and have a post up when it's over, summarising it - but I'm also just back in my sleeping pattern from the USA trip and staying up/getting up early will destroy it again :(

I'm waking up early for it. I haven't missed one since Macworld 2008, and don't plan to start now.

nibbles
8th April 2010, 06:52 PM
I'll wake up early, reasonably early night tonight and wake up at 3am find out what the fuss is about and then go back to sleep until 8, decryption i'm sure many of us would like you to be up and giving us a twitter stream or something but oh well you'd better get some of that stuff they call sleep to catch up from the big us trip

asgr8
8th April 2010, 06:54 PM
i'll be awake for it. hoping for multitasking and some UI refresh. maybe some hints for iphone 4.0 :)

NeoRicen
8th April 2010, 07:09 PM
So how are we thinking tomorrow morning will go down? I think it be like this.

Steve will come out and talk about the iPad and how it's done better then they expected which will follow with the iPhone. That will lead to 4.0 OS and Steve will pass it on to freaky bug eye's. After it's all said and done Steve will come back and say oh and one more thing 4.0 is shipping today. Everyone will cheer and music will play.
Uh, hell no.

No Beta? Only 9 months development? No opportunity for third parties to test with it/implement features?

Not gonna happen.

Dux
8th April 2010, 07:22 PM
Just give me a better lock screen, wireless syncing and I'd be happy.

NeoRicen
8th April 2010, 07:31 PM
Lot of people are saying multitasking. I'm still wondering... what for?

The only thing I can think of is for 3rd party audio apps. Push Notifications takes care of the rest (at least for me), IM, reminders, etc. Even then I can see Apple implementing some kind conduit for 3rd part apps to pass audio streams through. Not sure what else multitasking grants.

I suppose it would mean developers don't need to run servers, but I'm not sure, from the user's or Apple's perspective, that's worth the downsides (low battery life, managing tasks, performance).

All I want is a better notifications system for messages, IMs, upcoming calendar events etc. (those blue boxes are annoying and useless), some way to tell if an IM app (or similar) is still logged in from the home screen (just a green dot or something please), a more useful lock screen and a UI refresh.

Stez
8th April 2010, 07:42 PM
I've got all 4 sites bookmarked. Never done something like this before even though I've been tempted for the iPad launch. Waking up in the morning and scrambling for facts is pretty hard. I guess I'll download a movie or two, watch some new Family Guy episodes and play some games on my iPod Touch. Will be a good morning :P

tcn33
8th April 2010, 07:51 PM
I don't plan to get up, but somehow I seem to bounce awake at 3 am every time. Hopefully it'll be worth it.

vecsty
8th April 2010, 07:55 PM

Will be up, and taking notes. OS 4 will give a hint as to what WWDC will be like, 10.7 and just what direction Apple will be moving towards. One question I am sure will be asked is will OS 4 be available for the current iPad.

Have a read of Sawtooth Wave (http://sawwave.blogspot.com/) it will be interesting to see how close this guy is ;)

spathi
8th April 2010, 07:56 PM
I'll be at work. Probably the only upside to working the grave yard shift is never missing an Apple event :P

scruffie
8th April 2010, 08:11 PM
ive entered in my email so that those sites will notify me 15 minutes before they start... no doubt i will sleep through it.

it would be interesting what they do with the iPhone. I'm hoping that android has made apple quibble in their boots and now they'll produce something spectacular.

Stez
8th April 2010, 08:15 PM
Well I'll be disappointed if this presentation is of the same quality as the OS 3 one. Hopefully this time we'll actually get a decent presentation, not just 5 examples of some crappy new feature they've implemented in whatever app.

Even if multitasking was announced, it would still be boring because it'll be like last year, ''we've implemented copy and paste and this is it in Safari....'' and that's it. I think hardware launches is where Apple is really at. Because there's actually something interesting going on. Anyway Apple please prove me wrong this time.

thre3dee
8th April 2010, 08:31 PM
I think personally I'm really needing a change, not specifically just additions. I don't see a big change in the look, but some major things need some major changes (such as the Home screen/Lock screen).

Stez
8th April 2010, 08:48 PM
I think personally I'm really needing a change, not specifically just additions. I don't see a big change in the look, but some major things need some major changes (such as the Home screen/Lock screen).

Agreed. A new look OS X kinda UI would rock! The way I see this presentation panning out is:

1. Talking about the iPad and it's sales
2. Some developer info
3. New features of iPhone 4.0
4. New features of iPhone 4.2, with the .2 officially becoming the iPad OS seperation from the iPhone one.
5. SDK available today, officially coming late June.
6. One more thing, NEW MBP's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

benb
8th April 2010, 09:04 PM
Lot of people are saying multitasking. I'm still wondering... what for?

The thing I want is background app updating for 3rd party apps (which is what I think most people are meaning by multi-tasking). That way RSS readers, twitter apps or Pocket Weather can update in the background in the same way that Mail does. This TidBITS article summarises the whole multi tasking thing well. TidBITS iPhone iPad iPod: Does the iPhone OS Need Multitasking? (http://db.tidbits.com/article/10989)

jack112006
8th April 2010, 09:25 PM
I personally believe that multitasking will be an opt-in thing. You will turn it on in Settings.app and be hammered with warnings about reduced battery life. I believe that the rumours claim that you will double-click the home button to activate an expose like interface. For me, I have had pro switcher on my iPhone for months and have used it rarely. I can definitely see how some people could get a lot of use from it, but for me, it has limited use.

I also remember reading back in September about an FM Radio app and proper Bluetooth file transfers were coming in 3.1. I would love to have both of these features and they would see a lot more use than multitasking. The location aware homescreen would be a nice feature for when I am away on holidays, but besides that, I see no use for it.

As I mentioned before, I would love for the OS to become fully landscape native, just like the iPad. As for UI enhancements, I see all the built in apps lining up with the iPads versions, minus the popovers. As for a release date? I am going to guess, rather specifically, Saturday July 3.

ts10
8th April 2010, 11:00 PM
My dark horse for tonight: AppleTV to run OS4.0.

andyrb
9th April 2010, 12:00 AM
Well, I'll be up at 3am anyway so I'll be around to read what is going on. Got no idea really what to expect in terms of iPhone OS additions or changes, but if I got to pick stuff I'd like to see I'd say multitasking, on screen list of notifications (missed calls, sms's, upcoming appts, etc) and possibly even themes or user-selectable UI changes.

barefootman
9th April 2010, 12:34 AM
My dark horse for tonight: AppleTV to run OS4.0.

That WOULD make my day :)

W9cae
9th April 2010, 02:17 AM
Tick tock tick tock I am up again for an Apple event. Looks like others on ground zero are wondering if today will be the end of the road for updates for the original iPhone.

jack112006
9th April 2010, 02:41 AM
Good Morning all. I am I the only one here thats more excited for Australian iPad dates & prices than anything else?

kyte
9th April 2010, 02:46 AM
Good Morning all. I am I the only one here thats more excited for Australian iPad dates & prices than anything else?I think so. I'm only here because I am not sleeping well, gave up trying, got into Mactalk and only then remembered. I'm kinda watching Jason Chen on Gizmodo sling off at people he thinks are ugly. Arrogant twit.

I'll probably watch engadget once it gets going.

decryption
9th April 2010, 02:50 AM
Blogs I've got loaded:

Gizmodo Liveblog (http://live.gizmodo.com/)
Live from Apple's iPhone OS 4 event! -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/live-from-apples-iphone-os-4-event/)
Macworld | Live Update: iPhone OS 4.0 Event (http://www.macworld.com/article/150449/2010/04/liveupdate.html?lsrc=top_1)
Live: iPhone OS 4.0 preview at Apple headquarters - Big Tech - Fortune Brainstorm Tech (http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/04/07/live-iphone-os-4-0-preview-at-apple-headquarters/)
Live Blog: iPhone OS 4.0 Event | Mac|Life (http://www.maclife.com/article/news/live_blog_iphone_os_40_event)
Live Blog: Apple’s iPhone OS 4.0 announcement (http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/04/08/apple-iphone-os-4-live-blog/)
Live iPhone OS 4.0 event coverage – gdgt live (http://live.gdgt.com/2010/04/08/live-iphone-os-4-0-event-coverage/)

kyte
9th April 2010, 02:52 AM
*All* of them? My god, Anthony, how many pairs of eyes do you have :)

Remy
9th April 2010, 02:59 AM
Good morning everyone - I've got Gizmodo, Engadget, Ars Technica & gdgt all fired up and ready for action. I think I want intl. iPad availability announcements more than anything else today, although I do love an iPhone OS preview event.

kyte
9th April 2010, 03:00 AM
I'm down to engadget and gdgt (with the latter autorefreshing, cant get it working on engadget)

hamusta
9th April 2010, 03:03 AM
yay lets party :)

BowieNIN
9th April 2010, 03:06 AM
I'm down to engadget and gdgt (with the latter autorefreshing, cant get it working on engadget)

same here

kyte
9th April 2010, 03:09 AM
He still looks really sick to me. Way too thin. Terrible colour. Back to the show

tcn33
9th April 2010, 03:11 AM
gdgt and Ars seem to be the best feeds so far.

decryption
9th April 2010, 03:12 AM
50 million iPhones. Damn, that's a lot of iPhones.

kyte
9th April 2010, 03:13 AM
whoah, looking very promising for devs!

[edit] and for the rest of us, multitasking yay!

andyrb
9th April 2010, 03:14 AM
oooh, this is exciting!

edit: WALLPAPER!

edit2: Do they call them "tentpole" features because they give us Apple nerds tentpoles?

Mecha
9th April 2010, 03:15 AM
and the haters can now stfu!

BowieNIN
9th April 2010, 03:17 AM
this looks like it was worth getting up for.. so far so good.

jboy
9th April 2010, 03:21 AM
audio anywhere?

decryption
9th April 2010, 03:23 AM
I still don't understand how the multi-tasking implementation in OS4.0 really works..

jack112006
9th April 2010, 03:24 AM
My god the homescreen wallpaper looks bad. But multitasking looks sweet and I can't wait for the next six features.

EDIT: I have a feeling this event could run quite long if we are only a third of the way into the first of seven features.

gr8bob
9th April 2010, 03:27 AM
I still don't understand how the multi-tasking implementation in OS4.0 really works..
I'm sure it's just a couple of 'core services' which are kept active in the background in order to support the multitasking apps at their minimal state.

opilot87
9th April 2010, 03:27 AM

The operation of it of the technical side?

Ollie

decryption
9th April 2010, 03:28 AM
Ohh, now I get it - they've had certain tasks have an API to run in the background, rather than the entire app itself. Interesting. I wonder what the other background APIs are...

jack112006
9th April 2010, 03:30 AM

Apple keeps running a set of core API's in the background which let the main features of most apps continue to run while your doing other things. Double click the home button, and you can select the app you want. Thats all there is to it.

opilot87
9th April 2010, 03:31 AM
Ohh, now I get it - they've had certain tasks have an API to run in the background, rather than the entire app itself. Interesting. I wonder what the other background APIs are...

Yeh that's what I understood, by only running parts of the app, it only uses a fraction of the resources/battery. They are going through the background API's now. I guess it will everything that will allow the apps to be useful in multitasking.

jack112006
9th April 2010, 03:32 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that its a bit odd that Push Notifications are one of the API's running for multitasking?

tcn33
9th April 2010, 03:32 AM
This is all good stuff, and it's still only one of the seven "tentpole features". Really hoping a new lockscreen and global quiet hours are among the other six...

kyte
9th April 2010, 03:34 AM
Push notifications ON the phone instead of someones server. good news.

SaucyChick
9th April 2010, 03:35 AM
Folders!! Yay!!

jack112006
9th April 2010, 03:36 AM
OMFG! Folders! Finally! Thank you Apple, now I can have all of my 350+ apps on my iPhone and see them all!

gr8bob
9th April 2010, 03:36 AM
These background APIs are highly reminiscent of a reduxed versions of Windows services. :D

SaucyChick
9th April 2010, 03:37 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that its a bit odd that Push Notifications are one of the API's running for multitasking?

No, but it's 3.30am and I'm just ignoring whatever doesn't make sense - Ars or MacTalk can explain it to me tomorrow ;)

Mecha
Folders!! Yay!!

BOOYAH

kyte
Seemds like *someone* has been paying attention to the jailbreak community :) Categories anyone?

W9cae
Just wondering what folks data use will now go to. I see it now someone left an app running & gets $10, 000 phone bill.

tcn33
9th April 2010, 03:39 AM
UNIFIED MOTHERFUCKING INBOX.

jack112006
9th April 2010, 03:40 AM
I think its time I go refresh my developer account for another year...

jack112006
9th April 2010, 03:41 AM
iBooks! YAY!!!

tcn33
9th April 2010, 03:42 AM
Is it just me or are we flying through these features? Steve's up to something.

SaucyChick
9th April 2010, 03:43 AM
I'm really glad I played crappy facebook games for hours, trying to keep myself awake - this is awesome!!

(well, I don't really need tentpole 5...)

jack112006
9th April 2010, 03:43 AM

Well we are already 45 minutes in, and he does need time to explain international iPad availability info :D

spathi
9th April 2010, 03:44 AM
Multiple exchange accounts seems pretty awesome. Work email + personal exchange/push gmail :)

jboy
9th April 2010, 03:44 AM
It's game, set, match to Apple.

hobbsy101
9th April 2010, 03:45 AM
omg is anyone else really overwhelmed. we're gettn hit with feature agter feature! all of them are great so far! multitasking!!!

opilot87
9th April 2010, 03:45 AM

Hey! Don't slow him down, I just want to get to bed already!

Ollie

hobbsy101
9th April 2010, 03:46 AM
game centre? lol apple "blow them (PSP, DS) out of the water"

hobbsy101
9th April 2010, 03:48 AM
iAd, of course

jack112006
Wow game centre sounds pretty crazy, its basically Xbox Live for iDevices. iAd, wow what a name. The service really better be something.

roboboy
Bluetooth Keyboard Support!

DaveOZ
9th April 2010, 03:51 AM
Hopefully printing next.

kyte
9th April 2010, 03:51 AM
iAd? hrmmmmmmm. If my phone starts showing ads every three minutes, I'm off to nokia again

definitely NOT impressed. Ive spent over $1000 ona phone and the next s/w update is going to force ads on me? I DONT think so. (well maybe not, no more free apps then)

andyrb
9th April 2010, 03:55 AM
I'm not impressed with this iAd thing. Much rather have the option to purchase an ad-free app.

hobbsy101
9th April 2010, 03:56 AM
yessss we need printing!! especially for pages on ipad

decryption
9th April 2010, 03:56 AM
I'm not impressed with this iAd thing. Much rather have the option to purchase an ad-free app.

It's up to the developer to include the ads - Apple isn't forcing developers to put ads in every free app :p

opilot87
9th April 2010, 03:58 AM
iAd? hrmmmmmmm. If my phone starts showing ads every three minutes, I'm off to nokia again

definitely NOT impressed. Ive spent over $1000 ona phone and the next s/w update is going to force ads on me? I DONT think so. (well maybe not, no more free apps then)

No, free apps you download that choose to include them (just like they already do, except crap ads), will show adds.

Ollie

jesse

errr that will be the option....

asgr8
awesome .. never loved playing mw2 so late at night and after that this whole lot of goodies except iad ofcourse.

cant wait to get 4.0

tcn33
If ads are an available option for any app, what's to stop the developer community from putting them in every app?

hobbsy101
9th April 2010, 03:59 AM
decryption are you frikken lovvin 4.0 already??!!!

kyte
9th April 2010, 04:00 AM
It's up to the developer to include the ads - Apple isn't forcing developers to put ads in every free app :p

quality is different to the usual fare as well. I'll reconsider once I see how its working. This means of course that I won't update in a rush like I usually do

spathi
9th April 2010, 04:01 AM
I hope all of the devs using Openfeint and Plus+ jump on Game Center. a unified system would be great and can add a lot of value to a gaming platform (like XBL)

opilot87
If ads are an available option for any app, what's to stop the developer community from putting them in every app?

Whats to stop the developer community from putting ads in every app now?

Ollie

kyte
engadget remarking on steve being more pumped about the ad opportunities than ibooks... and who is surprised? MASSES of potential dollars there.

kyte
9th April 2010, 04:02 AM
are we going to get "one more thing"?

[edit] Guess not. I'm going back to bed. nini!

asgr8
9th April 2010, 04:03 AM
no multi tasking for 3g

hobbsy101
9th April 2010, 04:04 AM
ha that sucks for iPhone 3G

tcn33
9th April 2010, 04:05 AM
Huh, well that was pretty anti-climactic.

gr8bob
9th April 2010, 04:06 AM
no multi tasking for 3g

Not surprising

opilot87
9th April 2010, 04:07 AM
Steve said the iPhone 3GS will run pretty much everything. Does that mean a thing things mentioned will only be for the new 4th gen iPhone?

Ollie

Melishunt
9th April 2010, 04:08 AM
IS THAT IT??!!! So you people got your multitasking and merged email accounts.. OH AND THERE'S GOING TO BE MORE ADS ON THE IPHONE GREAT!!!!

What happened to the macbookpro refresh??
What a disappiontment

jesse
9th April 2010, 04:10 AM
What happened to the macbookpro refresh??
What a disappiontment

what? Its an OS4 event. Not a mac hardware event.

W9cae
Looks like first gen & 3G iPhone will miss out on some of the fun. This will drive new sales of iPhones. Smart move on Apples part.

Melishunt
No hint of the new i3,i5,i7 Line up or Australian iPad availability or pricing. I'm so pissed

Superman
9th April 2010, 04:11 AM
Q: Will iPad’s success impact its international launch?

Steve: No, we said we’re launching internationally later in April, and we’re launching later in April,

andyrb
9th April 2010, 04:12 AM
errr that will be the option....

Unless I missed something about ad requirements in the presentation, I'm worried that there will be lazy developers out there who'll just go the in-app ad option and not provide the paid ad-free alternative.

decryption

Customers & developers - shitty developers will do shitty things. An app like Things, or the paid version of Tweetie or Instapaper - would they really put ads in their app?

tcn33
No hint of the new i3,i5,i7 Line up or Australian iPad availability or pricing. I'm so pissed

Yes, because a smartphone operating system preview would naturally include a notebook refresh announcement. :crazy:

Melishunt
9th April 2010, 04:13 AM
what? Its an OS4 event. Not a mac hardware event.

I was still hoping for some info about the new line up. My money is already spent on one I'm just waiting for them to come out.

opilot87
9th April 2010, 04:14 AM

Yep, like they were going to announce their local release date and local pricing for every model in the line up...... for 50 different countries....

Ollie

gr8bob
9th April 2010, 04:23 AM
I was still hoping for some info about the new line up. My money is already spent on one I'm just waiting for them to come out.

Get a PC, you'll be much happier. :D

spathi
9th April 2010, 04:25 AM
Interesting:

11:23AM - Steve: We do not have plans to be a worldwide ad agency. We don’t know a lot about advertising, but we’re learning. We tried to buy AdMob, but Google snatched them up because they didn’t want us to have them, so we bought another smaller company, Quattro. But we’re babes in the woods.
11:22AM - They’re talking a lot more about iAd right now. Steve: “Why is this so different? These 185k apps don’t exist on computers. This is a new phenomenon, this is the first time this kind of thing has ever existed. We never had that on the desktop, so search was the only way to find a lot of things.” The man has a point, the web (and web ads) are the mechanism of choice on PCs.

Melishunt
9th April 2010, 04:26 AM
Yep, like they were going to announce their local release date and local pricing for every model in the line up...... for 50 different countries....

Ollie

50 different countries? I would have expected them to group Continents... 'i.e. Europe and Australia go on sale April ......"

gr8bob
9th April 2010, 04:27 AM
“There was no decision to make as far as multitasking. Some of the earlier hardware can’t support multitasking at all.” – Jobs

Pretty much expected.

Melishunt
9th April 2010, 04:29 AM
haha Apple doesn't know much about advertsing??? Bullshit... they've got probably the hugest consumer market out there.. That doesn't happen with smoke and mirrors.. It's all those 'I'm a PC, I'm a Mac' ads etc

Melishunt
9th April 2010, 04:30 AM
Get a PC, you'll be much happier. :D

Wash your mouth out with soap. I wouldn't piss on a PC even if it was onfire.

gr8bob
9th April 2010, 04:30 AM
haha Apple doesn't know much about advertsing??? Bullshit... they've got probably the hugest consumer market out there.. That doesn't happen with smoke and mirrors.. It's all those 'I'm a PC, I'm a Mac' ads etc

Those were done with help from their advertising agency.

Wash your mouth out with soap. I wouldn't piss on a PC even if it was onfire.

You need to take a chill pill.

jesse
9th April 2010, 04:34 AM
Unless I missed something about ad requirements in the presentation, I'm worried that there will be lazy developers out there who'll just go the in-app ad option and not provide the paid ad-free alternative.

I doubt that will be the case, and ads in phone apps are not hard to implement currently. Shit apps will over do it, but people just won't use them.

Melishunt
9th April 2010, 04:35 AM
You need to take a chill pill.

haha, don't worry I mean no harm. I'm just joking. But really I will never ever ever buy another microsoft product as long as I live

Melishunt
9th April 2010, 04:36 AM
Ads in aps are going to completely turn me off using my iPhone on 3g all together. all that uneeded data...

decryption
9th April 2010, 04:37 AM
Continue the discussion here: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/39/83296-iphone-os-4-0-preview-summary.html