PDA

View Full Version : Best Image Compression Format?

designers_hub
28th August 2005, 09:06 PM
What is the best compression format for images? (i mean in size).

The lowest quality, B&W, lets leave the dimensions out of it.

Besides from gif, jpeg etc what else is there? is there something out there which can get lets say a 640x480 image of the default apple (aqua blue) desktop to 1kb - 5kb? Insane yes but is it possible?

vargz
28th August 2005, 09:18 PM
Best way to find out is with the 'save for web' option in Photoshop. Open and edit the 640x480 image as desired, then from the 'save for web' dialog, you can try each image format at different levels of quality, number of colours, etc. and it will show the image size in kb.

Ok, now this is assuming you have Photoshop? If not, let me know, I'll do the experimentation for you :)

In any case, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

ford.boy
28th August 2005, 09:21 PM
That's a pretty na´ve post there. Go to howstuffworks.com and educate yourself on image compression formats :)

Now, every format has its good and bad points, Jpeg 2000 is pretty good bang for you byte. And now way you're going to get an image with complex gradients and sharp edges to look good at high res in 1-5kb!!

Johnny Appleseed
28th August 2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by designers_hub@Aug 28 2005, 09:06 PM
Besides from gif, jpeg etc what else is there?
The reason gif and jpeg are so ubiquitous is because they're about as good as it gets when it comes to minimising file sizes. As said above, Photoshop can help you get them down to the lowest number of KB possible.

neilrobinson
28th August 2005, 10:43 PM
i stick with jpeg... almost anything can open it :)

also i have heard that genuine fractals can provide great compression compared to LZW on tiff's etc, this is for professional type applications. It has saved me a couple of times where i have to get 300mb+ images either interstate or overseas urgently.

neil