PDA

View Full Version : Media watch is on the ipad and journalism NOW! (on ABC)

Chief911
5th April 2010, 09:23 PM
AS title says

MrJesseRoss
5th April 2010, 09:26 PM
I have no idea what that sentence actually means.

Goodbye
5th April 2010, 09:28 PM

The television program "Media Watch" is reporting the iPad release and its journalistic coverage. The program screens on the free-to-air network "ABC" in Australia ;)

gikku
5th April 2010, 09:30 PM
paying for news on the net - dinosaurs.

Chief911
5th April 2010, 09:34 PM

sorry, wanted to get the word out quickly...

Chief911
5th April 2010, 09:35 PM
paying for news on the net - dinosaurs.

It's important to pay as they mentioned, how is twitter going to report on a war is a solid example.

macrob69
5th April 2010, 09:44 PM
Enjoyed Media Watch tonight - not sure if the iPad will save the papers though...

snark
5th April 2010, 09:50 PM
Transcript available here if you missed it:
Media Watch: Will The Tablet Cure Newspapers' Ills? (05/04/2010) (http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s2864273.htm)

Enjoyed Media Watch tonight - not sure if the iPad will save the papers though...
It will be interesting to see whether the big players can come up with a decent reading experience on the iPad. You download the paper onto your iPad in the morning, and flick through the stories on the train on the way in to work. The stories are indexed, proper sized pictures - yeah, it might work.

Chief911
5th April 2010, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=Petronius;950705]Transcript available here if you missed it:
Media Watch: Will The Tablet Cure Newspapers' Ills? (05/04/2010) (http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s2864273.htm)

cheers i was looking for that!

jesse
5th April 2010, 11:09 PM
I was disappointed by MW tonight! I had sat three of my friends down with the idea that "this show is awesome, and calls all the other bullshit Australian media out". They all just rolled their eyes when it started to talk about iPads.

snark
5th April 2010, 11:13 PM
Yeah, it wasn't a typical episode this week.

I love the voice-overs they use when they're quoting from the other media.

glacierdave
6th April 2010, 07:38 AM
Media Watch is also available as a podcast (search on iTunes for it). If it wasn't, I'd probably miss it most of the time.

Quasar
6th April 2010, 02:46 PM
It will be interesting to see whether the big players can come up with a decent reading experience on the iPad. You download the paper onto your iPad in the morning, and flick through the stories on the train on the way in to work. The stories are indexed, proper sized pictures - yeah, it might work.

Certainly for me the right kind of media, features and price would get me on board. But then I'd actually like to see professional journalism continue.

It would have to be priced less than print though, and include things like video and audio interviews. Things like full interviews that aren't actually used in articles for instance.

One thing I have actually wondered about is whether the future is one where all we'll have left in terms of this kind of journalism is public stuff like the BBC and ABC.

snark
6th April 2010, 05:58 PM
Certainly for me the right kind of media, features and price would get me on board. But then I'd actually like to see professional journalism continue.

It would have to be priced less than print though, and include things like video and audio interviews. Things like full interviews that aren't actually used in articles for instance.

One thing I have actually wondered about is whether the future is one where all we'll have left in terms of this kind of journalism is public stuff like the BBC and ABC.

You've hit the nail on the head there. The price has got to be less than print, and the 'extended' features have to be there by default.

Much as I dislike Rupert Murdoch's political leanings, I agree with him when he says that giving away news free is unsustainable. If I have to choose between paying for quality reporting, and getting free dross, I'll pay.

There was an interesting article on Ars Technica recently: link:
Is permission needed to retweet hot news? (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/04/is-permission-needed-to-retween-hot-news.ars)

SRG
6th April 2010, 07:42 PM
also you can watch it on iview here ABC iView (http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/542002)