PDA

View Full Version : iPad and TomTom cradle

spider-man
5th April 2010, 08:27 PM
Has anyone tried or read about docking the iPad to the TomTom cradle. I know its not going to hold it in place like it does with the iPhone and Touch, but the docking piece slightly points outwards, therefore you might still be able to plug it in.

I was one of the unfortunate ones who didnt get an iPad to test this on, but I was able to get one on eBay with $100 worth of US Itunes credit thrown in for less than what was offered on here ;)

My apologies on that word I used previously :)

entropy
5th April 2010, 08:41 PM
perhaps a large rubber band?

On second thoughts, as I actually think about it: the tomtom cradle is windscreen mounted. You are not going to use that with an ipad. For goodness sake, it would obscure a good section of the driver's view.

spider-man
5th April 2010, 09:54 PM
It would be mounted on the centre console and not the windscreen. I have taken to consideration that it would be to large for the windscreen :)
We'll know soon enough when the boys get back from their trip :D

EZYHD
6th April 2010, 09:44 AM
Will Tom Tom GPS actually work with the iPad?.

Alessiman
6th April 2010, 09:55 AM
Will Tom Tom GPS actually work with the iPad?.

Since there is no GPS chip on the iPad I would very much doubt that is would work

Actually it might but accuracy would be questionable

eron
6th April 2010, 10:31 AM
I'll try it with my Magnellan Car kit when I get my iPad. I have an extension cable so it should plug in.

~Coxy
6th April 2010, 10:41 AM
Isn't the TomTom cradle just an independent GPS receiever that sends the current location data to the iPhone via serial in the Dock connector?

In that case, it may well work on the iPad.

bacco007
6th April 2010, 11:51 AM
What about the TomTom for iPod Touch cradle (rather then the iPhone cradle)?

opilot87
6th April 2010, 05:37 PM
Since there is no GPS chip on the iPad I would very much doubt that is would work

Actually it might but accuracy would be questionable

Quite the contrary, the cradle has its own proper GPS chip, so i'm sure it would work well just like it would on an iPod Touch.

Ollie

spider-man
6th April 2010, 05:49 PM
Quite the contrary, the cradle has its own proper GPS chip, so i'm sure it would work well just like it would on an iPod Touch.

Ollie

+ 1
Its a shame it didn't come out with built in GPS

LithgowLights
6th April 2010, 08:25 PM
I'll try it with my Magnellan Car kit when I get my iPad. I have an extension cable so it should plug in.

Is that a 30 pin dock to iPod/iPhone/iPad extension cable? If so where did you get it, as that could be a really handy device for me here

thebasa
8th April 2010, 02:16 AM
any luck anyone? i don't have the extension cable but last night I was able to get the tomtom bluetooth to show up on the iPad discoverable only once, after holding down the mount's pairing button, but after typing the default passcode 5555 it reverted to not connected while my iPhone was in the dock and still connected. Now I can't get it to show up at all in the discoverable devices in the bluetooth app no matter what i try. The tomtom manual says you can pair up to 8 devices so it shouldn't be a requirement that anything be in the dock but with the phone in the dock or not, the iPad does not display the device when searching for discoverable bluetooth devices.

LithgowLights
8th April 2010, 08:27 AM
Yes you can pair up to 8 devices, but only ONE can be connected at any time I believe

MrGadget
9th April 2010, 10:39 AM
Hi
Any one knows from I can get good iPad accessories?? I inquire so many places here in Australia including online stores but no one is keeping it.