PDA

View Full Version : 256M RAM is not enough for iPad?

eddieaus
5th April 2010, 08:27 PM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/04/ipadmemory.png

Gizmodo (http://m.gizmodo.com/site?sid=gizmodoip&pid=JuicerHub&targetUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fgizmodo.com%2F5509384%2Fsor ry-your-ipad-is-low-on-memory%3Fop%3Dpost%26refId%3D5509384)

Gizmodo posted this today, seems iPad's 256M RAM is not enough for certain apps. oh well, i will wait for the next gen then.

Japester
5th April 2010, 08:29 PM
How do you know how much RAM it has?

Japester
5th April 2010, 08:31 PM
Also, very few developers have had an iPad to test, so it's certain that apps will need debugging and optimisation.

bitingmammal
A teardown of the iPad confirmed it has 256mb RAM I read.

eddieaus
How do you know how much RAM it has?

umm.... here:

iPad Tech Specs: Cortex A8, 256MB Ram, PowerVR SGX 535 - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/04/ipad-tech-specs-cortex-a8-256mb-ram-powervr-sgx-535/)

WindowsVista
5th April 2010, 10:06 PM
I am surprised. Definitely sounds like the weak spot and suggests we may not see multi-tasking any time shortly.

marc
5th April 2010, 10:24 PM
Shame. Like the original iPhone, RAM will probably be a sore point for the iPad.

Andrew T Chadwick
5th April 2010, 11:32 PM
I remember when i was a lad that 256MB of ram was enough to run a general purpose computer with room to spare. Since the iPad doesn't run as many services as a normal computer, the hardware spec is fixed and there are a lot less variables 256MB should be more than enough .

LithgowLights
5th April 2010, 11:39 PM
I remember when i was a lad that 256MB of ram was enough to run a general purpose computer with room to spare. Since the iPad doesn't run as many services as a normal computer, the hardware spec is fixed and there are a lot less variables 256MB should be more than enough .

Yes, provided you want to run the text, or very limited graphic user interface of that time too. I dont remember seeing flight Control HD on my 8086 PC, and my TI 99-4A would have had a hard time with Pocket God, not to mention Real Racing. :)

mab
5th April 2010, 11:42 PM
Yes, provided you want to run the text, or very limited graphic user interface of that time too. I dont remember seeing flight Control HD on my 8086 PC, and my TI 99-4A would have had a hard time with Pocket God, not to mention Real Racing. :)

I remember playing Doom on a 386DX with 32MB of RAM

gehenna
5th April 2010, 11:55 PM

486 DX4 100 with 8mb memory here ;)

kyte
6th April 2010, 05:04 AM
Gizmodo posted this today, seems iPad's 256M RAM is not enough for certain apps. oh well, i will wait for the next gen then.

I'm not that surprised where We Rule is concerned... I found that it crawled on my iphone after I'd had it open a while. Its buggy as heck and I don't play anymore.

I'd be more interested in this if one of the regular apps ran out of memory.

DX2/66 here, also 8MB. Got motion sickness and havent played since.

mab
6th April 2010, 08:07 PM

How about Impossible Mission on a Commodore 64 with 64 kB RAM just goes to show what programmers could do with limited resources back in the day. Flight Control HD needing 256 MB of RAM seems a bit rich

WEpNx2qde3Q

lord
6th April 2010, 08:19 PM
How about Impossible Mission on a Commodore 64 with 64 kB RAM just goes to show what programmers could do with limited resources back in the day. Flight Control HD needing 256 MB of RAM seems a bit rich

It really is amazing what some nice tight code can do. Check out the prod Chaos Theory, this whole video - sound and all is stored in under 64kb. I'd link to the exe but there isn't too much point in that ;)

ZfuierUvx1A

cosmichobo
6th April 2010, 08:32 PM
This is an area of computer life that needs to be reigned in.

Just because you can load a modern computer up with meg upon meg of RAM, doesn't mean you can be sloppy with code.

Websites are just as bad. My fiancée uses essentialbaby.com.au a lot, and after a while, it makes Firefox crawl. (Bad ads?)

I guess I'd kind of expected the iPad to have more than 256MB of RAM... though with its limited OS, I suppose it's not that bad.

PS I miss Impossible Mission!

mab
6th April 2010, 08:38 PM
It really is amazing what some nice tight code can do. Check out the prod Chaos Theory, this whole video - sound and all is stored in under 64kb. I'd link to the exe but there isn't too much point in that ;)

Just checking, is that 64kb or 64kB the later is impressive but if it's the former it's amazing

P.S. post the link I would like to try it.

mab
6th April 2010, 08:46 PM
PS I miss Impossible Mission!

Someone should contact the creators of Impossible Mission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_Mission) it would be a cool and nostalgic iPhone/iPad game.

marc
6th April 2010, 08:51 PM
I remember when i was a lad that 256MB of ram was enough to run a general purpose computer with room to spare.

I remember using computers with 512k (Amiga) or even 16k (BBC Micro). Doesn't mean it's sufficient today for an iPad. Most of the app crashes on the original iPhone were ram related.

I guess we'll see, but 256MB seems a little small.

Just because you can load a modern computer up with meg upon meg of RAM, doesn't mean you can be sloppy with code.

Sure, but it's about images and sound as well as code. The screen resolution plays a big part in these things. A full sized iPad image is 2.25MB. If you want to display a picture, there's not really much you can do to reduce that.

Websites are just as bad. My fiancée uses essentialbaby.com.au a lot, and after a while, it makes Firefox crawl. (Bad ads?)

Is Flash to blame? Maybe install ClickToFlash?

I guess I'd kind of expected the iPad to have more than 256MB of RAM... though with its limited OS, I suppose it's not that bad.

It's not too bad for one app at a time. If there's any kind of multitasking in OS 4.0, that might change.

zaca
6th April 2010, 09:42 PM
I like the idea of it only being 256MB.

At first I was shocked and thought that Apple was stupid for doing so, but now I am content. For starters, it keeps the price down. It may cost $10 to make then 256MB chips, a few dollars for the headphones, a few more for the dock, why not a glowing apple logo and an extra few GBs in there. Next, it forces developers to write efficient code. Take a look at Crysis - thats what happens when you have unlimited potential resources, an inefficient money hog. It also means that future systems will always be slightly better and as a result everything will run much smoother. If they stuck 1GB in there, people will use it up, then what happens next year? Move it up to 2GB? (I know everyone is asking for 512)

Now look at the PS2, great games were made for it. 32MB of RAM, 300MHz CPU, 150MHz GPU. PSP - 222MHz CPU, 111MHz GPU, 64MB RAM (original only had 32MB) - yes the screen is 1/6 of the size, but look at the difference in CPU/GPU/RAM...I wont even get started on the DS.

I think its a smart move. People will be disappointed now. Developers will optimise their code. Everything will be fine and we will go crazy and get the iPad 2 comes out with a 1.5GHz CPU and 512MB of RAM.

Now think iPad 3G, $130 more for a 3G dongle seems like a lot. Could they add an extra 128/256MB to it to add some value? Most likely no, but just a thought.

bartron
6th April 2010, 09:42 PM
it's 256mb of application memory. I'm not an iPhone/iPad developer but there could be code under the hood that may negate loading apps from flash memory into application memory in order to execute and thus 256mb is determined to be enough. It could/should also mean to keep developers conscious of how they develop their apps. They can't just load textures, sounds etc into memory willy nilly whether the app needs it at that point or not. That's a valid development practice on desktop computers as spinning magnetic platters are slow. Everything in the iPad should be fast to access from storage so no need to load stuff until you need it.

Keeping apps lean also may help the iPad remain fast and responsive.

mab
6th April 2010, 09:44 PM
Sure, but it's about images and sound as well as code. The screen resolution plays a big part in these things. A full sized iPad image is 2.25MB. If you want to display a picture, there's not really much you can do to reduce that.

While I'm not up with the architecture of the iPad wouldn't the picture be mmaped to video RAM? and thus saving user space RAM or is the GPU using shared memory?

Dammit I've been a sys admin too long the only programming I do now days is scripting :(

amstrad_mac
6th April 2010, 09:49 PM

aaaaaahhhh those were the days.. i had the Amstrad PC Pentium SX-100Mhz

bartron
6th April 2010, 09:52 PM
While I'm not up with the architecture of the iPad wouldn't the picture be mmaped to video RAM? and thus saving user space RAM or is the GPU using shared memory?

Dammit I've been a sys admin too long the only programming I do now days is scripting :(

Even with tripple buffering you'd only need 8mb for the display buffer. That plus 32-64mb of vram would be trivial to put on the same die as the gpu.

People forget that this isn't a desktop computer or even a laptop. It's an appliance. Appliances don't need Gb of RAM.