PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest place to buy an iPad online?

ChrisG
5th April 2010, 11:16 AM
Hi all,

The wait is killing me and I don't think I can last till the end of the month. Out of desperation I am looking at getting my iPad from overseas, but am not sure which way to go (ebay, priceusa, others)?

How have you guys bought your iPad's and how much did you pay for them?

Note: I want to get the 16GB model.

Thanks in advance.

TheKeddi
5th April 2010, 11:41 AM
You can't get one from Price USA at the moment, unless they can do a walk in and get one from the store, all our orders were canceled.

Ebay may be your best bet, pay more but that's the cost of early adoption, that's what I did when my Price USE preorder was canceled.

ChrisG
5th April 2010, 11:44 AM
I'm still contemplating whether or not to wait it out and get it from Australia and not run the risk of getting customs fees buying from the U.S. I found quite a good price for an 16GB model on eBay for $620 + postage. How much did you pay for yours TheKeddi?

Exocet
5th April 2010, 12:09 PM
Cheapest place? Welcome to the Apple Store - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/) in about 4 weeks.

TheKeddi
5th April 2010, 12:23 PM
I paid $800 all up inc postage with insurance and tracking. for the 16 gig model.

I don't mind paying the extra though, I couldn't wait any longer!!!

and if it's under $1,000 including the shipping price there are no import or customs fees, that's a blanket thing on importing anything.

Remy
5th April 2010, 04:26 PM
Cheapest place? Welcome to the Apple Store - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/) in about 4 weeks.

Yeah, to be honest the best and cheapest way to get yourself an iPad is to wait for a few more days (price and release date should be out very soon) then reserve/buy one online. The wait will be worth it for peace of mind and more money in your wallet :)

darksplat
5th April 2010, 08:01 PM
who was the power seller?

spider-man
5th April 2010, 08:34 PM
who was the power seller?

The name sounds a bit suss, but its Getachew Gabre :D

darksplat
5th April 2010, 09:04 PM

not coming up in any searches

spider-man
5th April 2010, 10:10 PM
sorry thats is his real name his sellers name is gabre5 and has 2 left. He was kind enough to send me a message to let me know that he had included a gift card for being the first to buy one off him. all the best

iTy
6th April 2010, 09:54 AM
I bought mine off the US iTunes (http://www.facebook.com/mikesay98) guy that I buy my gift cards from.

Let them know I (Tyrone) referred you guys and we can all be happy :)

I've ordered my 32Gb (After transport fees and Cali tax. $950 AUD inc. $50 gift card) iPad and is probably on its way as I type. His fees are 10% of the product price.

He is still willing to go to Best Buy/Apple store et al to buy these for people. :rolleyes:

mitty
6th April 2010, 10:52 AM
I'm finding I'm not hanging out terribly for one. Sure I'll get one, but even when they arrive here I'll probably wait a few days to see if the carriers have any deals.

jleetj
7th April 2010, 12:23 AM
Wow, 1saleaday (http://1saleaday.com.au/) is selling the 16Gb version today for $799!

(I'm not related to them in any way)

supermariobothers
7th April 2010, 12:47 AM
Uhm... Thats $150 more than expected retail?!?

TheKeddi
7th April 2010, 09:13 AM
You pay what you think it's worth, it doesn't matter how much more than retail it is.

Those who got theirs from Anthony paid more than retail, those who got them from eby paid more than retail, its one of the things early adopters do!

Mine has left Australian customs as of yesterday, hope it's not too far away! Any day now!!!!

DaveOZ
7th April 2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the tip. My 64gb iPad is on it's way.

ZAK248313
7th April 2010, 11:31 AM
What's the fastest way to get one? Any sellers out there with immediate fedex shipping- maybe to get here by Sat?

TheKeddi
7th April 2010, 11:34 AM
What's the fastest way to get one? Any sellers out there with immediate fedex shipping- maybe to get here by Sat?

I think you would be lucky to get one here by Sat now. Good luck with getting one tho!!!

maclab
7th April 2010, 12:44 PM
I'm in hong kong at the moment and I saw an ipad in the wan chai computer centre, he wanted about au$1000 for a 16 gig , I can wait.

SiriX
9th April 2010, 12:16 AM
Gotta love Hong Kong & Wan Chai CC.... they literally have everything you could imagine :) can't wait to head back there later on this year :D

time4magik
9th April 2010, 11:36 AM
there are some really good ebay ones on at the moment -- should i buy them now? are there any problems with the ipads that might get fixed when they come to australia?

does anyone know besides ebay where to buy one fast?

hope ebay ones arnt scams

TheKeddi
9th April 2010, 12:19 PM
If you go with a reputable seller then you will be ok, warranty is international, so yes you can have it fixed here.

as to weather you want to get one now or wait for our own launch depends on how much you are willing to spend to import one.

u98925
9th April 2010, 08:17 PM
hope ebay ones arnt scams

....yes just like the '3G' unit that is available for immediate shipping from Queensland :eek:

WindowsVista
9th April 2010, 08:19 PM
Hehe I saw that. So tempting :P

SRG
9th April 2010, 08:20 PM
Well I gave in and got mine for $740 plus $60 postage from a Aussie in the states with 235 transactions and 100% feedback. To be safe paid Paypal for protection as well.

Should have sometime next week Apple IPAD 16GIG Wifi Tablet Brand New Unopened - eBay, Apple Laptops, Computers. (end time 09-Apr-10 20:00:49 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170469145125&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1151wt_1167)

time4magik
9th April 2010, 09:30 PM
hey your the one who i was talking to about the ebay sale today i think..

what did you mean about they are ready to ship to queensland u98925?

time4magik
9th April 2010, 09:31 PM
oh the 3g lol, yer thats a scam allright

time4magik
9th April 2010, 09:34 PM
they say that the ipads will arrive in just says to the sydney store for safe keeping and that they will sell in just 2 weeks! i find that very believable, i mean they did promise us the ipad this month, and apple probly wnt be mean and by 'late april' take it to the 29th, they will probably bring it out on the 18th or the 24th

which means we shoul know the price by atleast the 12th, one things for sure - in the next 7 days we should be finding out the price and be able to put in pre-orders (or we will be just getting it at xmas)

good luck apple, plz dont screw us on price!

regards locky
emaillachlan@yahoo.com.au

time4magik
11th April 2010, 02:25 PM
i got this guy on ebay telling me that they will not be here by april and we will see them in june/july kinda like the iphone when it came out for australia.
dunno if hes right or hes trying to just sell me his ipad:)
I REALLLY WANT ONE NOW!!!! i find the best thing to do when your waitng for one is to go to blog sites and talk it out with other people

if anyone wants to talk about the ipad plz email me!!
emaillachlan@yahoo.com.au

hobbsy101
12th April 2010, 10:25 AM
mine just touched down at the Brisbane International Processing Facility. Hopefully have it by tomorrow or Wednesday can't wait! Bought on eBay last Thursday and seller shipped it out on Friday via USPS Express

DaveOZ
12th April 2010, 01:51 PM
Mine is with AusPost

Apr 12, 2010 10:17am AUSTRALIA - SYDNEY Received and awaiting clearance for delivery.

Wonder if that means I'm going to have to pay duty/GST?

hobbsy101
12th April 2010, 01:54 PM
hey DaveOZ mines at Brisbane and been that exact status for almost 5 hours now but its under $1000 so there should be know worries! hopefully the tracking info is delayed

TheKeddi
12th April 2010, 03:59 PM
Mine said it was cleared from customs still when it was delivered. Don't believe everything the tracking site says!

jayden
12th April 2010, 04:50 PM
Hi guys,

I bought a few 16gb iPads while in the US recently. I'm selling them on eBay at the moment, or you can pick them up off me for $800 in the Brisbane area. Let me know if you are interested!

I'm not sure if ebay links are appropriate in this forum, but my eBay ID ninjapig, if that helps you find me :)

Cheers,

Jayden

hobbsy101
12th April 2010, 05:37 PM
haha the status FINALLY changed. don't know why it took 7 hours!!! to process it. does anyone know what comes after "transferred for delivery processing"?

MightyAtom
12th April 2010, 05:54 PM
haha the status FINALLY changed. don't know why it took 7 hours!!! to process it. does anyone know what comes after "transferred for delivery processing"?

It should look something like this, Scheduled for delivery. > Received at delivery hub. > Lodged with courier pickup service. Are you checking the Australia Post tracking site or USPS? At this stage Aust Post should have more detail.

hobbsy101
12th April 2010, 05:57 PM
It should look something like this, Scheduled for delivery. > Received at delivery hub. > Lodged with courier pickup service. Are you checking the Australia Post tracking site or USPS? At this stage Aust Post should have more detail.

oh ok. yeah AusPost does have more detail and im checking the USPS site as well. so, yeah, at the moment it says transferred for delivery processing that's at Brisbane but I live 3 hours away from brissy so dont know when it'll get here. any ideas?

iTy
13th April 2010, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't believe everything the status says. Mine was supposedly just out customs when I got a pleasant ring at the door. Low and behold, my iPad had arrived.

Within 3 hrs hours though USPS sent me an email with a summary of what happened. It had about 6 other steps in there that wasn't previously there :)

itsanobscureid
14th April 2010, 12:22 PM
sorry if I'm being an R-word.org (http://r-word.org/) but where do you track USPS Express shipments on the Auspost website?

Cheers

MightyAtom
14th April 2010, 12:37 PM
sorry if I'm being an R-word.org (http://r-word.org/) but where do you track USPS Express shipments on the Auspost website?

Cheers

Australia Post - International Tracking (http://ice.auspost.com.au/)

itsanobscureid
14th April 2010, 04:10 PM
thanks buddy :)

SRG
14th April 2010, 05:05 PM
well mine is through customs

Out of Foreign Customs, April 14, 2010, 10:55 am, AUSTRALIA

sadly don't know which one so hopefully I will have it tomorrow (doesn't show up on the Aussie post tracking so is there a trick there like don't put in the EH or something?

DaveOZ
14th April 2010, 05:07 PM
Mine has been stuck in customs since monday :(

SRG
14th April 2010, 05:09 PM
Ok in case it helps anyone else you don't have any spaces on the Australia post one.

Mine is marked as scheduled for delivery so I assume tomorrow!

SRG
15th April 2010, 03:53 PM
Pleased to report i am posting this from my new iPad, stunning piece of kit.

The netcomm t1 3G wireless wifi router is working a treat as well with it.

time4magik
15th April 2010, 05:10 PM
oh hey ninjapig! Its me Locky, (that guy kept emailing you bout ipads on ebay!)

modernpacifist
15th April 2010, 05:28 PM
Hey Guys

I'm providing this as a service to Mactalk members - no profit at these rates - just really badly want iPads! Already have 3 people getting their iPads through me so if anyone else is interested.

Wi-Fi models:
16GB: $657.00
32GB: $775.00
64GB: $893.00

3G Models:
16GB: $810.94
32GB: $928.60
64GB: $1047.70

Those prices are in Australian Dollars and include all charges excluding shipping from me to you. Although I have called Australian Air Express and overnight shipping has come in at around $30.

If you want more info about the procedures etc, PM me your email and I'll send you a brief (kind of a silly word since it is quite long).

Cheers

Leopard
15th April 2010, 05:34 PM
Have you any on the way or are you putting in an Order.

modernpacifist
15th April 2010, 05:35 PM
I've already ordered 2. I got my iPad through the pre-order system. Pre-ordered it and had it the following Thursday.

led-zep
15th April 2010, 07:53 PM
modernpacifist just sent you a PM!

mcargy08
15th April 2010, 11:19 PM
Mine has been stuck in customs since monday :(

same mine has been stuck since tuesday! cant wait! although it does say guaranteed delivery of 16 April 2010. hope it arrives tomorrow.

have you got yours?

Syrecx
16th April 2010, 01:45 AM
there's no cheap place to buy an ipad...just what you are willign to pay for it cos u dont want to wait. If you think its worth it, buy it, if not...wait it out. =p

I got mine..hauahauah..sorry..i cant help it..!

DaveOZ
16th April 2010, 09:24 AM
Just paid my Customs GSt bill so mine will be here Monday. Sad not to have it for this weekend but I'll get over it.

Mullo
16th April 2010, 06:37 PM
Just paid my Customs GSt bill so mine will be here Monday. Sad not to have it for this weekend but I'll get over it.

Why did you have to pay a customs bill did you buy more than one ??

DaveOZ
16th April 2010, 06:49 PM
I paid US$970 for a 64Gb on eBay

mcargy08
16th April 2010, 08:18 PM
My iPad arrived today! Woohoo! Using it now to post this message.

ChrisG
17th April 2010, 12:10 PM
Woop de doo daaaaa!!!!! I just bought an 16GB iPad on eBay!!!!!!!! If anyone is interested here is a link to the sale. NEW Apple iPad 16GB Tablet WIFI Get it NOW Apple Sealed - eBay, Tablets, Computers Networking. (end time 24-Apr-10 05:09:04 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370366310277) I thought it was a pretty good deal!

James
17th April 2010, 02:38 PM
Woop de doo daaaaa!!!!! I just bought an 16GB iPad on eBay!!!!!!!! If anyone is interested here is a link to the sale. NEW Apple iPad 16GB Tablet WIFI Get it NOW Apple Sealed - eBay, Tablets, Computers Networking. (end time 24-Apr-10 05:09:04 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370366310277) I thought it was a pretty good deal!

Congrats on your purchase! I'm envious!

BTW, interesting eBay seller you bought it from - hollywood-closet-clothing-men.

You could buy an outfit to go with your iPad - maybe something fetching in black and silver lamé?

;)

Jinkst
17th April 2010, 05:48 PM
Mine still says it's only in Acceptance on the USPS site. Not even in shipped from the States situation yet. Good thing is I've already had it in hand for a few days :-)

Glad I got mine for under $1000AUS so I didn't have to pay any import taxes and it wasn't delayed through customs :-)

iphonedev
17th April 2010, 08:26 PM

Congratulations!

ChrisG
17th April 2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys! The wait is killing me, although it should be here by Wednesday :D

Syrecx
18th April 2010, 04:15 AM
Hey Guys

I'm providing this as a service to Mactalk members - no profit at these rates - just really badly want iPads! Already have 3 people getting their iPads through me so if anyone else is interested.

Wi-Fi models:

3G Models:

Those prices are in Australian Dollars and include all charges excluding shipping from me to you. Although I have called Australian Air Express and overnight shipping has come in at around $30.

If you want more info about the procedures etc, PM me your email and I'll send you a brief (kind of a silly word since it is quite long).

Cheers

Does mactalk honour this?? Any one ordered? No offence, just wants to make sure we have a safe environment.

Jinkst
18th April 2010, 05:17 AM

I think it's hilarious it says "sale" and "40% off" when the original price listed is over 100% markup already lol.

Still, not a bad deal although they've charged double for shipping than that service actually costs.

Still, you sound happy and in a few days you'll have a shiny new iPad so that a what counts.

Jinkst
18th April 2010, 05:21 AM
Hey Guys

Wi-Fi models:

3G Models:

Cheers

Have you taken into account the fees and charges you will pay at Customs when importing products that as soon as you bring in two of will come to over $1000?

iphonedev
18th April 2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys! The wait is killing me, although it should be here by Wednesday :D

The wait would be worth it.

I still remember my mate capturing the unboxing video when my iPad arrived :)

I would like to suggest you to download USPS app on your iPhone,this app was very handy during the wait period :)

Cheers

time4magik
18th April 2010, 10:26 AM
Im trusting modern pacific, although he hasnt answered his mobile yet :/

led-zep
18th April 2010, 10:42 AM
ive also trusted modernpacifist to help me with an iPad. had some email exchanges late this week, hoping to hear my order has been placed asap!

time4magik
18th April 2010, 04:36 PM
yer i tried calling him but i think he gave me wrong number lol and he hasnt responded on facebook

Alicepire
18th April 2010, 05:10 PM
I haven't heard back from modernpacifist, but he probably just hasn't checked his PMs since I sent him a message. But it would be awesome if he is able to get us the iPads.
I'm not sure if I trust ebay for my iPad purchase, I was at the Apple Store the other day and one of the genius' was telling me about a guy who came in, thinking his iPad just needed activating. Turned out it was DOA and he was screwed until it was released in Aus.

itsanobscureid
18th April 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm sorry if this sounds like the post of an impatient idiot - it is :)

For those who imported, how long did everyones iPads sit in customs?
Auspost tracking has said this since friday lunchtime:
Apr 16, 2010 - 12:19pm - AUSTRALIA - BRISBANE - Received and awaiting clearance for delivery.

Really I'm trying to work out if it is likely to come tomorrow, you would have thought customs would work on the weekend wouldn't you?

Any advice from those who've already got there iPad would be great.
Thanks ;)

hobbsy101
18th April 2010, 08:31 PM
I'm sorry if this sounds like the post of an impatient idiot - it is :)

For those who imported, how long did everyones iPads sit in customs?
Auspost tracking has said this since friday lunchtime:
Apr 16, 2010 - 12:19pm - AUSTRALIA - BRISBANE - Received and awaiting clearance for delivery.

Really I'm trying to work out if it is likely to come tomorrow, you would have thought customs would work on the weekend wouldn't you?

Any advice from those who've already got there iPad would be great.
Thanks ;)

Hey man I was exactly like you don't worry. I live in QLD too and mine said that at 4.30pm and I got it the next day and I live 3 hours away from Brisbane so would be surprised if you don't get it tomorrow or Tuesday. But hang in there it's frikken awesome! Haven't used my laptop in ages

itsanobscureid
18th April 2010, 08:33 PM
Hey man I was exactly like you don't worry. I live in QLD too and mine said that at 4.30pm and I got it the next day and I live 3 hours away from Brisbane so would be surprised if you don't get it tomorrow or Tuesday. But hang in there it's frikken awesome! Haven't used my laptop in ages

That's exactly what I wanted to hear - thanks man :)
btw did the auspost website actually update before it was delivered?

hobbsy101
18th April 2010, 09:03 PM
That's exactly what I wanted to hear - thanks man :)
btw did the auspost website actually update before it was delivered?

Yea it did. It said arrived at posting facility at like 5.30am the next morning so when it says it's in your town or suburb you shud get it that day

time4magik
18th April 2010, 09:15 PM
Hmmmm yer i was very close to an ebay purchase - but i live in toowoomba so il get it from modernpacific

supafly
19th April 2010, 11:25 AM
I haven't heard back from modernpacifist, but he probably just hasn't checked his PMs since I sent him a message. But it would be awesome if he is able to get us the iPads.
I'm not sure if I trust ebay for my iPad purchase, I was at the Apple Store the other day and one of the genius' was telling me about a guy who came in, thinking his iPad just needed activating. Turned out it was DOA and he was screwed until it was released in Aus.

I have placed an order with Modernpacifist also, the first time we tried ordering the order was cancelled by Apple. A second attempt has been made and I am still waiting to here of confirmation of order, though Modernpacifist did email me a copy of the Order Acknowlegement. He is a very nice guy and I have been pleased with his communication, etc. Seems very trustworthy and I am sure that if it becomes too difficult for him to order iPads he will simply just refund. I ordered a 16gb Wifi model. Fingers crossed this attempt gets processed by Apple and not cancelled.

itsanobscureid
19th April 2010, 12:05 PM
well I hope you guys have better luck than me :(
I have just contacted auspost to chase up my package - which their tracking stays is still in customs.

They tell me that the package has been 'returned to sender' by customs - no specific reason.

So I call customs and they tell me they don't return items to sender and it must have been auspost.

I then call both back - both of which pass the buck and say I'll just have to wait and see if the sender gets it back then file a complaint.

Fantastic!

Now what, do I bite the bullet and import another, wait to see if this one gets back to the seller and have him send it out via FEDEX rather than USPS Express - or kick a random person in the genitals!

Fedgrub
19th April 2010, 12:19 PM
Is there any difference between an order acknowledgement and an order confirmation? Or are they both the same, just different terms?

supafly
19th April 2010, 01:36 PM
Nope, different things - one is the Acknowlegement of the order, the other confirms it....

Fedgrub
19th April 2010, 02:54 PM
Nope, different things - one is the Acknowlegement of the order, the other confirms it....

If I placed my order on the 14th, the following day got a acknowledgement that says when it will ship and that it hasnt shipped yet, has an order number and a sales ref number... But have not received anything since, who should I be contacting to say I never received a order confirmation? Its been way too long.

Has anyone received an order confirmation after their order acknowledgement?

time4magik
19th April 2010, 04:16 PM
Wow lots of people having fun with customs hehe
ModernPacific if your out there plz contact me! you havnt responded facebook or phone (but i think you gave me wrong number)
PLZ! i want my ipad asap, il pay you $700 for 16gb wifi!

supafly
19th April 2010, 11:02 PM
Looks like my latest order with Modern has been cancelled too :(

time4magik
20th April 2010, 04:20 PM
Rats, i want an ipad sooo much - modernpacific i cant contact, ebay is a rip off though i may result to it - anyone got any ideas or links?!?!

DaveOZ
20th April 2010, 04:23 PM
Mine has been stuck in customs for a week now. Paid the duty on friday but still not delivered. NEVER USE USPS AGAIN. I will happily pay for DHL since they have in-house customs agents that clear things a lot faster.

tcn33
20th April 2010, 04:29 PM
Mine has been stuck in customs for a week now. Paid the duty on friday but still not delivered. NEVER USE USPS AGAIN. I will happily pay for DHL since they have in-house customs agents that clear things a lot faster.

:eek: Which USPS service was this, Global Express or Express International?

edit: and how many were in the package if you need to pay duty?

DaveOZ
20th April 2010, 04:40 PM
1 x 64gb and it came at just over $1000. Bastards.

itsanobscureid
20th April 2010, 04:47 PM
well it could be worse guys
my 16gb iPad bought on ebay arrived at customs brisbane and the box was empty!
So someone must have stolen it somewhere along the way.
I'm now trying to get the seller to claim from USPS insurance, otherwise I will have to open a paypal dispute.

Pain in the ass to say the least, kinda tarnished the whole ipad thing for me at the moment.

WindowsVista
20th April 2010, 04:50 PM
well it could be worse guys
my 16gb iPad bought on ebay arrived at customs brisbane and the box was empty!
So someone must have stolen it somewhere along the way.
I'm now trying to get the seller to claim from USPS insurance, otherwise I will have to open a paypal dispute.

Pain in the ass to say the least, kinda tarnished the whole ipad thing for me at the moment.
That's horrible!:frustrating: I hope the seller does the right thing and claims for you. That sucks :(

time4magik
20th April 2010, 04:56 PM
WOW - fcuking postmen, they should just do their job and not steal people letters and shit

ChrisG
20th April 2010, 09:34 PM
My iPad just got shipped and sent via USPS Express Mail from the United States - California. The tracking says "Electronic Shipping Info Received". When do u guys reckon I'll get it?

MightyAtom
20th April 2010, 09:38 PM
My iPad just got shipped and sent via USPS Express Mail from the United States - California. The tracking says "Electronic Shipping Info Received". When do u guys reckon I'll get it?

Next Monday, there's a slight chance you could get it Friday but I wouldn't count in it.

ChrisG
20th April 2010, 09:44 PM
Even if it is via Express Mail? How long did it take for you to get your iPad and what service did you have?

MightyAtom
20th April 2010, 10:02 PM
Even if it is via Express Mail? How long did it take for you to get your iPad and what service did you have?

Express mail, mine shipped on a Tuesday also, received it Monday. Check your USPS tracking it should state a guaranteed delivery date, that's usually pretty accurate.

wolfie
20th April 2010, 10:04 PM
how does the customs judge gst.
ok so you got 1k and over tax, so do they look at the declared value/invoice of the item and do a direct conversion ( as they cant compare to aud prices of same item )
or do they add a buffer zone of like 20 per cent?

hypothetically speaking, the top end model, wifi plus 3g is 829 plus taxes pushes it to about 900.
conversion still makes it under 1k so why are people getting hit with gst?
courier costs are not included right?

MightyAtom
20th April 2010, 10:20 PM
Probably because people are paying well over retail price for these things, and yes I'm pretty sure they include the shipping cost when calculating import duty.

ChrisG
20th April 2010, 10:28 PM
Funny how we got it shipped the same way. Did you buy yours on eBay as well? So much for EXPRESS delivery, if that's the case. I can't seem to find the guaranteed delivery date on the tracking information, all I can find is this:

http://img.skitch.com/20100420-rqbqwawer858cjxmqaj874s2hg.jpg

Express mail, mine shipped on a Tuesday also, received it Monday. Check your USPS tracking it should state a guaranteed delivery date, that's usually pretty accurate.

decryption
20th April 2010, 10:29 PM
Probably because people are paying well over retail price for these things, and yes I'm pretty sure they include the shipping cost when calculating import duty.

No, they don't include the shipping cost. They go by the declared value on the invoice/shipping label. You can declare a lower value on a parcel, but I've done that a few times and half the time it ends up being taxed at the market rate anyways.

wolfie
20th April 2010, 10:42 PM
so if the seller adds the invoice or copy of it, theres no problem?

decryption
20th April 2010, 10:46 PM
so if the seller adds the invoice or copy of it, theres no problem?

Well seeing as the item is actually worth under AU$1000 (no iPad is worth more than $1,000, disregard what you paid for it - Apple charge US$829 for the most expensive one), there's no problems regardless of what you do.

led-zep
21st April 2010, 09:23 AM
New Apple iPad 16GB WiFi. Sydney Seller. Free Shipping - eBay, Apple Laptops, Computers. (end time 25-Apr-10 14:16:18 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130383345458&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching)

hey for all interested, my mate just purchased one from this seller, was good to deal with and the stock is in Oz. thought id mention it here for the guys after a cheap (well cheaper!) 16gb wifi iPad!

DaveOZ
21st April 2010, 09:27 AM
Yay, mine's here.

time4magik
21st April 2010, 04:23 PM
ZOMG daveOZ, whats your first impressions?

DaveOZ
21st April 2010, 07:43 PM
ZOMG daveOZ, whats your first impressions?

It's awesome. Kids have taken it now. :mad:

Alicepire
22nd April 2010, 12:57 AM
I ended up caving and trawling ebay. I ended up getting a 16gb for $650 from a guy who lives in a town I used to go to school in (small world). I'm picking it up Friday.
My main concern about buying from ebay was in case it was broken, this way I get to make sure it's working before I hand over my cash :D

time4magik
22nd April 2010, 07:34 AM
if its sealed in the facotry plastic he couldnt of touched it, but he could of dropped it :P

or he could of someohow taken the ipad and sealed it back haha, if somone went to that much trouble you deserve to be scammed :)

good luck
locky

ChrisG
22nd April 2010, 05:53 PM
My USPS tracking info now says "Item in transit" does this mean i may get it tomorrow?

http://img.skitch.com/20100422-ny83kkmpwc9w4nsk8p5jran7qy.jpg

time4magik
22nd April 2010, 08:23 PM
mine says that too, it just means that it has been picked up and has left the companys wharehouse, so its not in a building anymore its being delivered on some form of vehicle

parra81
23rd April 2010, 09:29 AM
Hi Chris,

this was my tracking info...took a while for USPS to update. I found once it was in Australia the Aust Post tracking site was the best. It updated regularly and more frequent then the USPS site.
Australia Post - International Tracking (http://ice.auspost.com.au/) - Just remember no spaces in your tracking number

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9215/ipadshipp.png (http://img685.imageshack.us/i/ipadshipp.png/)

ChrisG
23rd April 2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up Parra81, my tracking info just got updated to "International Dispatch". Saying my item has left the United States. Sounds like i won't get it today, most likely next week. Do you know if USPS delivers over the weekend and also if Australia Post deliver on Mondays Public Holiday?

Bosox76
23rd April 2010, 01:45 PM
My 32gb iPad ordered through the online store via rellie's in the US on the 15th April has just been shipped......from China!!!

Now have to wait for it to reach the US, then be forwarded to me. Hoping to receive it by next week or mayber early the week after.

It's taking a bit longer than i had hoped. Oh well :(

codemonk
23rd April 2010, 02:29 PM
According to the Australia Post website: "Your item was lodged with the courier pickup service at 08:12 on 23 Apr 2010."

I've called, and AusPost confirmed that it is on board with the courier. However I have spoken to the local courier who normally does parcels for australia post, and he definitely doesn't have it.

So now I am left in iPad limbo. :(

WindowsVista
23rd April 2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up Parra81, my tracking info just got updated to "International Dispatch". Saying my item has left the United States. Sounds like i won't get it today, most likely next week. Do you know if USPS delivers over the weekend and also if Australia Post deliver on Mondays Public Holiday?

I'm quite sure Australia post will deliver it to your door so definitely NO to Saturday delivery (they sometimes do it around Christmas however) and for public holidays no. So probably Tuesday! Mine should hit customs Monday, so I hope they're working Monday:)

hangdog
24th April 2010, 10:32 AM
Fuggit, my 16GB iPad went to my brother's apartment block in Minneapolis a few hours ago, but the front office attendant , who's supposed to be there 9am-5pm, wasn't there at 10am to sign for it (as my brother said, she's "out a LOT"). Hope she's around on Monday afternoon.:mad:

time4magik
25th April 2010, 07:04 AM
mine has one all around the world lol, hope its not broken! :)

craigd
25th April 2010, 02:30 PM
I bought mine from a friend in the US, it was posted a few days ago and I hopefully will recieve around Wednesday.

He also has a second iPad which if anyone wants it they can PM me which is available for cost+postage us$590.

http://img.skitch.com/20100425-tggeqtgf856w3jf9ypgp5mxwdf.jpg

ChrisG
25th April 2010, 04:55 PM
How come yours has a guaranteed delivery date and mine doesn't? I have the same service as you "Express Post International", so why wouldn't mine have that?

craigd
25th April 2010, 04:58 PM
How come yours has a guaranteed delivery date and mine doesn't? I have the same service as you "Express Post International", so why wouldn't mine have that?

I am not sure. How far along is your order, I think mine has only recently started showing that

ChrisG
25th April 2010, 05:46 PM
We'll the Electronic Shipping Info was received on the 20th, then on the 21st it was Processed through the sorting facility and on the 23rd it was shipped. Since then i haven't had any updates.

ChrisG
26th April 2010, 02:02 PM
Just checked my tracking number again and "whop de do da" it looks like it's in Sydney now at the International Processing Centre!

http://img.skitch.com/20100426-8quurkmwy67n5suq3ei8sa7ek3.jpg

Now that it's in Sydney and I am in Sydney does it look like I may get it on Tuesday?

parra81
26th April 2010, 02:26 PM
I would say you have a good chance of getting it tomorrow, if customs are working today.

Mine cleared within 3 hours and there were 4 updates between 9pm and 5am when it was shipped to the local depot. It then arrived at 11:30.

Here's Hoping for you :)

amnesia
26th April 2010, 04:10 PM
mine is in Alexandria at Fed Ex offices. i should have it by Thursday...damn public holidays!

aparajuli
26th April 2010, 04:41 PM
Got mine on Friday. My cousin from Kansas bought it on Sunday in the US at the Apple store (Monday here) and used FedEx express shipping.. it arrived on Thursday but no one was at home so they came back on Friday. Very speedy delivery but i'd expect so given I paid almost close to $100 for shipping alone :)

iCantwait
26th April 2010, 07:20 PM
I got mine off ship2me.com - decryption tweeted about it - 16gb for $587usd (au$650 after paypal screw you over) they take a 10% cut so all up you pay $499+17%. Where the hell it is i have no idea though.........

time4magik
26th April 2010, 08:15 PM
i hope fedex delivers to toowoomba

Nightwish
26th April 2010, 08:22 PM
Where the hell it is i have no idea though.........

Probably isn't a good thing, haha.

SomeGen
26th April 2010, 09:09 PM
I ordered mine from ship2me as well. It's current sitting like 25km away until this stupid public holiday is over. I can't wait till tomorrow when its delivered.

iphonedev
26th April 2010, 09:55 PM
I ordered mine from ship2me as well. It's current sitting like 25km away until this stupid public holiday is over. I can't wait till tomorrow when its delivered.

Is that a 3G version? or the WiFi?

SomeGen
26th April 2010, 10:02 PM
the wifi

iphonedev
26th April 2010, 10:04 PM
the wifi

Does ship2me take orders for 3G?

SomeGen
26th April 2010, 10:05 PM
Yeah, they do. check out Ship2Me Package Forwarding - Use Our Shop4Me Service to Purchase Your iPad (http://www.ship2me.com/ipadnow)

iphonedev
26th April 2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah, they do. check out Ship2Me Package Forwarding - Use Our Shop4Me Service to Purchase Your iPad (http://www.ship2me.com/ipadnow)

Thanks

Will let my mate know about the same.

Cheers for that

WindowsVista
26th April 2010, 10:38 PM
http://img72.yfrog.com/img72/8066/screenshot20100426at103h.png
Let's hope it comes tomorrow! Not due till Wednesday, however.

supafly
26th April 2010, 10:43 PM
The ship2me shop4me service sounds great, probably worth the extra $80 or so if your really keen. Hoping mine arrives by the end of the week.

iCantwait
26th April 2010, 11:15 PM
update - its been ordered from the online store and on its way to the ship2me depot im looking about two weeks I reckon - meh

craigd
27th April 2010, 09:32 AM
I bought mine from a friend in the US, it was posted a few days ago and I hopefully will recieve around Wednesday.

He also has a second iPad which if anyone wants it they can PM me which is available for cost+postage us$590.

http://img.skitch.com/20100425-tggeqtgf856w3jf9ypgp5mxwdf.jpg

Mine hasn't updated since the 23rd, maybe due to the public holidays etc who knows.

Does the site ALWAYS update when it hits the country etc, surely its not still in transit to Australia.

I wonder if customs etc were working over the weekend

Bosox76
27th April 2010, 11:27 AM
Could I please get some advice from fellow Mactalkers who have had their iPads shipped from America. My iPad has finally arrived in the US from China and my uncle is asking whether I want it shipped via UPS or Fedex.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either service? I know Fedex is more expensive by US$40), but is UPS just as reliable as Fedex? Any other pros/cons?

Thanks in advance.

bartron
27th April 2010, 11:34 AM
Mine hasn't updated since the 23rd, maybe due to the public holidays etc who knows.

Does the site ALWAYS update when it hits the country etc, surely its not still in transit to Australia.

I wonder if customs etc were working over the weekend

Go to the Australia Post tracking site instead
Australia Post - Track (http://auspost.com.au/track/)

USPS finally updated the tracking info....2 hours after I had the iPad in my hands.

kevinnugent
27th April 2010, 11:37 AM
Could I please get some advice from fellow Mactalkers who have had their iPads shipped from America. My iPad has finally arrived in the US from China and my uncle is asking whether I want it shipped via UPS or Fedex.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either service? I know Fedex is more expensive by US$40), but is UPS just as reliable as Fedex? Any other pros/cons?

Thanks in advance.

UPS or USPS? Either way, I think FedEx are faster. They also handle Customs issues on route evidently.

craigd
27th April 2010, 11:56 AM
Go to the Australia Post tracking site instead
Australia Post - Track (http://auspost.com.au/track/)

USPS finally updated the tracking info....2 hours after I had the iPad in my hands.

Awesome thanks.

Just checked mine has hit Melbourne awaiting clearance for delivery.

It says on the USPS site guaranteed for the 28th

Do you guys think this is likely.

I hope so

WindowsVista
27th April 2010, 01:04 PM
Awesome thanks.

Just checked mine has hit Melbourne awaiting clearance for delivery.

It says on the USPS site guaranteed for the 28th

Do you guys think this is likely.

I hope so

Definitely! Mine was meant to come on the 28th too (via USPS) but came this morning! Very happy, typing on it now in fact:). So it must be waiting to pass customs (mine took exactly an hour yesterday) then it will be awaiting final processing then gets take to a delivery hub and put on a delivery truck (this happened very early this morning for me).

ChrisG
27th April 2010, 01:23 PM
Just got my iPad then and am typing this message on my new baby! Am loving it so far!!!!!

bartron
27th April 2010, 01:29 PM
Today seems to be iPad round 2 day :)

Picked mine up this morning about 9:30 (because Australia post sent it to the wrong address...otherwise I'd have had it sooner)

Productivity today took a dip.

Nightwish
27th April 2010, 01:36 PM
The ship2me shop4me service sounds great, probably worth the extra $80 or so if your really keen. Hoping mine arrives by the end of the week.

Just wondering, how much did it come to all together in $USD for the shop4me service? :) Cheers

alextrob
27th April 2010, 01:41 PM
Mine was supposed to be brought back today by my sister who's been in New York for a few weeks but they wouldn't let her take it on as carry-on luggage because it was still sealed in the box. And now it's getting posted by the airport/airline for free (yay? :unsure:). Pretty annoying.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

craigd
27th April 2010, 03:06 PM
Why did you just get her to open it

bkea
27th April 2010, 03:20 PM
I'm off to america in 3 weeks, Really wanted one for the trip over!
Finding it hard to resist ordering one from ship2me :D

kevinnugent
27th April 2010, 03:26 PM
Mine was supposed to be brought back today by my sister who's been in New York for a few weeks but they wouldn't let her take it on as carry-on luggage because it was still sealed in the box. And now it's getting posted by the airport/airline for free (yay? :unsure:). Pretty annoying.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

She should have put it IN her carry on luggage. My wife's was sealed, and in her backpack. They didn't even request it be taken out for scanning.

alextrob
27th April 2010, 03:28 PM
Why did you just get her to open it

I would have if she'd asked but I guess she had more important things to do (like catching a plane) than give me a call & check. I'm seeing her tonight so I'll find out more about what happened.

I'm guessing she probably wanted to preserve the initial unboxing experience for me :confused:

She should have put it IN her carry on luggage. My wife's was sealed, and in her backpack. They didn't even request it be taken out for scanning.

Yeah I'd read that they don't make you take out iPads separately like they do with laptops, so I was pretty surprised she got stopped.

richardisfamous
27th April 2010, 03:30 PM
Hey guys. Just thought I'd share my experience here for those contemplating an iPad eBay purchase.

Bought mine on Thursday last week, shipped Friday and it landed in Brisbane and is with the Courier now. Hoping for a late afternoon delivery, but either way it'll be tomorrow for sure.

Shipping was USPS Express International and it's been flawless so far. Sure, its been the longest 5 days of my life but at least I know it's in Brisbane.

I'll let you guys know when it arrives. :)

SomeGen
27th April 2010, 04:39 PM
Mine just arrived. Syncing it now.

richardisfamous
27th April 2010, 05:42 PM
Just got mine as well. Posting from it now. It's spesh!

supafly
27th April 2010, 05:45 PM
FML..... Getting extremely jealous of you guys!! :P I have been waiting to see what is happening with the order ModernPacifist has placed - hoping to hear it is on its way, its been weeks!!!

alextrob
27th April 2010, 06:26 PM
Ok, I was fooled. My sister wanted to surprise me. Using my iPad now :D

Cassy
27th April 2010, 06:52 PM

hahaha!! love it :)

congrats and hope you enjoy it!

craigd
27th April 2010, 07:29 PM
Mine is still showing in customs has been since 10am this morning.
USPS shows Guaranteed for tomorrow still.

http://img.skitch.com/20100427-jf2tqj789s61j5uj4mxgtbmens.jpg

Fingers crossed

WindowsVista
27th April 2010, 07:35 PM
Mine is still showing in customs has been since 10am this morning.
USPS shows Guaranteed for tomorrow still.

http://img.skitch.com/20100427-jf2tqj789s61j5uj4mxgtbmens.jpg

Fingers crossed

Wow that's an awfully long time for it to be in customs:shocked: hopefully it moves overnight!
Also, you left your tracking code visible.

richardisfamous
27th April 2010, 08:19 PM
I was lucky I guess, mine arrived from the US today and was delivered today. For those worried, give AusPost a call and see what the go is.

craigd
27th April 2010, 09:19 PM
I was lucky I guess, mine arrived from the US today and was delivered today. For those worried, give AusPost a call and see what the go is.

Thats awesome. I am starting to think mine is not gonna show tomorrow.

Anyone used usps and been let down with a delivery date

huntelaar2009
27th April 2010, 09:59 PM
i am waiting for mine as well:mad:
I got mine from Hong Kong, it is a 64g and i didn't put any reciept or invoice in the parcel for my ipad.
I just declared it as the official price (us$699). According to the AUSPOST mine arrived AUS today at 2:54pm at the international processing centre in SYDNEY checking by the customs and it is still awaiting clearance for delivery processing.

How long does this normally take? I was reading this thread and most people just got pass the customs straight away. Is this because i didn't put my reciept in there to proof the value? Will i need to proof its value? Is there anything to do with EMS?

Thankyou so much!!!

craigd
27th April 2010, 10:06 PM
Ok I have an update.

Auspost still has this as in Customs.

Just for shits and giggles I checked the USPS site one more time.
It has been updated. Looks like my iPad cleared customs just 8 minutes after going in.

http://img.skitch.com/20100427-r4r25yybrmte7x6s7yewrq5sey.jpg
Maybe tomorrow is still a go. Fingers crossed

huntelaar2009
27th April 2010, 10:12 PM
how do i upload photos here???
I am a boarder and ImageShack is blocked in my school:footinmouth:

kevinnugent
27th April 2010, 11:28 PM

Haha.... Good one!

craigd
28th April 2010, 10:22 AM
Mine was lodges with local courier 7:31 this morning.

Looking promising :)

supafly
28th April 2010, 12:51 PM
I have been patient for a few weeks now.... waiting is agony!

craigd
28th April 2010, 08:10 PM
Couldn't resist

http://img.skitch.com/20100428-dtyw6j6uen5r44jsb9apekjrnk.jpg

leoleakey
28th April 2010, 08:17 PM
Couldn't resist

ohhhhh woho

supafly
28th April 2010, 10:35 PM
Couldn't resist

Asshole!!! :tongue::tongue: Hope your loving it, that pic has brought a tear to my eye!

craigd
28th April 2010, 10:41 PM
Asshole!!! :tongue::tongue: Hope your loving it, that pic has brought a tear to my eye!

Haha I'm loving it, just converting a dew ebooks to to fall sleep to tonight. :)

supafly
28th April 2010, 11:21 PM
I just wish mine would hurry up and get here...... :(

led-zep
29th April 2010, 09:19 AM
the most depressing thing...my iPad case will be here DAYS before my iPad..hurry it up damn it!

ChrisG
29th April 2010, 01:09 PM
I just had to post a pic of my new baby!

http://gallery.me.com/chrisgreenfield/100151/IMG_1997/web.jpg?ver=12725105040001

leoleakey
29th April 2010, 01:18 PM
:( have nothing to show til next week :(

GeoffP
29th April 2010, 01:19 PM
the most depressing thing...my iPad case will be here DAYS before my iPad..hurry it up damn it!

What case did you buy?

led-zep
29th April 2010, 01:28 PM
i bought the Official Apple Case (off an ebay seller who was fantastic mind you i did pay a premium for it, but he upgraded me to fed ex express intl and i have it today!). Its not the best, however, 2 of my mates have iPads and i was playing with the iPad/case and it is very thin (big plus!) and functional too.

Im tracking my iPad as we speak, still in the US of A. hopefully it will arrive in sydney tomorrow/monday

raf
29th April 2010, 01:35 PM
So any definitive list of what people spent to get a 16GB iPad?

I scoured through this thread and saw prices from $640-$800.

Mine ended up costing $700, a little bit more than I wanted to spend but my friend lives in California which means 9.3% tax + a recycling fee of $8USD (an extra $54USD all up).

supafly
29th April 2010, 02:28 PM
Cost me a little over $650 (shipping incl.) - still waiting for it to arrive though.

time4magik
29th April 2010, 03:56 PM
where can i buy US gift cards online?

craigd
29th April 2010, 03:57 PM
I just had to post a pic of my new baby!

http://gallery.me.com/chrisgreenfield/100151/IMG_1997/web.jpg?ver=12725105040001

Totally awesome eh

craigd
29th April 2010, 04:00 PM
So any definitive list of what people spent to get a 16GB iPad?

I scoured through this thread and saw prices from $640-$800.

Mine ended up costing $700, a little bit more than I wanted to spend but my friend lives in California which means 9.3% tax + a recycling fee of $8USD (an extra $54USD all up).

Mine cost me 627 although I iddid transfer au$640 just incase any currency fluctuations arose.

GeoffP
29th April 2010, 06:19 PM
Purchased a 64GB 3G iPad today.

Will wait to see how long it takes to drop.

craigd
29th April 2010, 06:21 PM
Awesome I think the 3G will be a great addition, although I am not sure of the point of 64GB.

Hope it arrives quick for you

GeoffP
29th April 2010, 06:23 PM
Going in for a total knee replacement on 24th May.

I'm going to pump the iPad full of movies, tv shows, music, games, apps - everything I can to pass the time.

craigd
29th April 2010, 06:25 PM

I'm going to pump the iPad full of movies, tv shows, music, games, apps - everything I can to pass the time.

Ah thats explains it then :)

Hope that goes ok, at least you'll be enjoying high quality tv programs and movies when YOU want to watch them

leoleakey
29th April 2010, 07:00 PM
Shipped on: Apr 29, 2010 via FEDERAL EXPRESS
IPAD WI-FI + 3G 64GB-USA MC496LL/A

craigd
29th April 2010, 07:01 PM
Shipped on: Apr 29, 2010 via FEDERAL EXPRESS
IPAD WI-FI + 3G 64GB-USA MC496LL/A

Is that getting shipped directly to you here or via a friend/agent in the US

leoleakey
29th April 2010, 07:05 PM
^a friend and then usps , 5more days

leoleakey
29th April 2010, 07:27 PM
All shipment travel activity is displayed in local time for the location Date/Time Activity Location Details
Apr 29, 2010 5:07 AM Picked up MIDDLETOWN, PA
Apr 29, 2010 2:24 AMShipment information sent to FedEx

Nightwish
29th April 2010, 09:26 PM
So jealous of everyone ><

I nearly had the opportunity to buy one from the US from a member on MTAU, but they're not replying to my PM's which is a bit disheartening. :(

Plus my direct order via a forwarder was cancelled, so it must be a sign that I should shut up and wait, lol.

iCantwait
30th April 2010, 01:26 AM
$730 - 16gb

Just left Kentucky.....

tdmc
30th April 2010, 07:36 AM
hey Geoff, good luck - I'm in rehab/physio for a knee injury/fracture 21/2 months ago - slow process.
great idea on how the use the iPad!

GeoffP
30th April 2010, 07:56 AM
hey Geoff, good luck - I'm in rehab/physio for a knee injury/fracture 21/2 months ago - slow process.
great idea on how the use the iPad!

Gday tdmc,

So as not to hijack this thread, can we discuss this a bit more here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/8/84385-recovering-knee-operation.html#post962882).

Thanks,
Geoff.

iphonedev
30th April 2010, 08:25 AM

Good luck with it! Hope it all goes well.

Cheers

iCantwait
30th April 2010, 11:40 AM
http://web3.twitpic.com/img/93243134-b3f1d3421bb07a46506f32f3d1b9cc39.4bda34d3-full.png
Is this quick? I think its quick?

Pity I'm in Ballarat today and its being posted to Melbourne

dgamer
10th February 2011, 05:41 PM
I bought one fromere here Buy Ipad Online (http://www.squidoo.com/buyanipadonline) and found it much cheaper than from local stores.