PDA

View Full Version : 10.6.3 SMB File Copying Error Fix

JimWOz
5th April 2010, 07:28 AM
I upgraded to 10.6.3 over Easter.
Suddenly I started having problems with writing files to my Linux SAMBA server. - This problem may have been around for a while, but I've only just moved up to SL a week or so ago.

I was getting a permissions error. It was odd for several reasons.
Firstly, not all files refused to copy onto the server.
Secondly, the copy process proceeded in finder all the way to the end and then failed with, “The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items”.
Thirdly, other applications like Retrospect 6, and Tri-Backup 5 were not having problems backing up to the server.
and Finally, copying in terminal with cp still worked fine, so it can’t be a real permissions error.

After researching via Google (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2382501&start=0&tstart=0), I discovered this is a known issue with 10.6.3.
The files affected are ones with extended attributes, including - disk images, applications and packages. It seems there is a final handshake with Finder at the end of the copy process that fails when extended file attributes are associated with the copied file.

As I use the Linux Server to copy downloaded applications, system updates (like the 10.6.3 combo dmg) etc. for backup it was a big problem.

I discovered the fix that worked for me, was to modify the server’s smb.conf file Global parameters to include the following line: unix extensions = no. Apparently, from SAMBA 3 onwards the default value is yes.

With this line inserted, copying all files to the Linux Server via Finder now works fine again. :thumbup:

Hopefully, this is useful information for others using Samba servers.

Edit 20 June 2010: I can confirm the bug has been fixed with the release of 10.6.4 on 15 June 2010. I have removed the added code, unix extensions = no from the server's smb.conf file, and finder copying is now working fine again.

snark
5th April 2010, 09:21 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if that's the reason my Time Machine volume became corrupt.
I have a sparse image on a NAS that I mount via SMB. I have done one or two backups after updating to 10.6.3, but it has since become unusable. Unable to repair, even after copying to USB drive.

spathi
5th April 2010, 11:07 AM
I haven't yet encountered this, but thank you! I also run a linux file server for all of my media and its nice having a solution before the problem occurs :)