PDA

View Full Version : iPad hands on, first impressions - Q&A

decryption
5th April 2010, 04:00 AM
I'm sitting at the Qantas terminal at JFK airport, waiting to check in my luggage, so I thought I'd write a short post about the iPad, now that I've used it for a little while.

It's pretty much like using an iPhone, there's no real surprises. The web browsing experience is awesome. Mobile Safari is fast and I think is superior than the Mac for just simple browsing.

Instapaper on the iPad is everything I wanted - hopefully more magazines make their content available for the iPad, so I can ditch all the paper in my life.

The keyboard is very odd - typing on it takes some getting used to. Much like the iPhone keyboard the first time you used it. It totally shits all over the soft keyboard on any other device, or any netbook keyboard I've used.

I haven't tried out many apps so far - its been a bit of a pain finding a proper Internet connection that iTunes likes.

If anyone has any questions about the iPad, fire away :)

Paris
5th April 2010, 05:49 AM
I'm also happy to chime in and answer questions that anyone might have. Currently sitting in Starbucks in Palo Alto (Silicon Valley) typing this on my iPad. I've spent like $400 in apps in 24 hours too, so if anyone has an app question I'm happy to help!

( I posted some pics and video from the launch in another thread: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/83072-ipad-purchase.html#post950394 )

desplesda
5th April 2010, 05:58 AM
I grabbed my iPad with Paris early yesterday morning from the Palo Alto Apple Store. (Chatted with Scott Forstall, who's really nice.)

Plants vs. Zombies is amazing - it's the full game on the iPad, rather than the cut-down version on the iPhone.

Pages and Keynote are also incredible, and a real pleasure to use. Numbers is going to need a bit more use before I can say that it's as usable as the others.

Typing is interesting. I find I don't mind the lack of physical feedback as much as I thought I would, but the lack of defined key edges means I occasionally mis-type letters. Also, the fact that there's no difference between touching a key and pressing a key means that I will sometimes hit extra keys by mistake while typing. Otherwise, it's really nice - my typing speed is slower than it is on my laptop, but it's by no means slow.

Safari is fantastic - it's fast, renders nicely, and it really does feel like you're holding the web in your hands. It's not just marking spin - it really does feel like that.

Happy to answer questions!

iphonedev
5th April 2010, 06:48 AM
Have you guys tried tethering from your phones? Bluetooth or USB with the IPad?

decryption
5th April 2010, 06:51 AM

You can't do this. The iPad doesn't have a USB port to plug the iPhone in to and the Bluetooth on the iPad doesn't pair with an iPhone to create an internet connection.

displayb333
5th April 2010, 06:54 AM
You can't do this. The iPad doesn't have a USB port to plug the iPhone in to and the Bluetooth on the iPad doesn't pair with an iPhone to create an internet connection.

NOW I have a reason to jailbreak :)

doofus
5th April 2010, 07:00 AM
Did you get the apple case for it and having used it for a while do you see a need for a case of some sort.

iTy
5th April 2010, 07:21 AM
If you guys are developing apps/games, have you noticed anything major between the sim and the physical device itself?

EDIT: Also, any reviews on any accessories?

decryption
5th April 2010, 07:35 AM
Did you get the apple case for it and having used it for a while do you see a need for a case of some sort.

I didn't get a case, and I'm generally anti-case. I would only get one if it had a built in battery, so at least then it's a case and a battery :p

I can see a lot of need for one though - the Apple one is quite ugly in my opinion. I might have a spare case that if no-one claims, I will open up and review.

Paris
5th April 2010, 08:07 AM

Yes - but not an iPhone. My daily use phone is a Nexus One, so I use it to create a WiFi hotspot and the iPad connects to that. It's like having a 3G iPad.

http://img.skitch.com/20100404-1f9au7fk9d3rcrb5fe4bbknjd4.jpg

Did you get the apple case for it and having used it for a while do you see a need for a case of some sort

Got the Apple case. Love it, think that it's the only case I saw in the Apple store (they had lots of 3rd party cases) that wasn't too bulky. The ability to prop the iPad up as well as protect its screen is essential.

If you guys are developing apps/games, have you noticed anything major between the sim and the physical device itself?

The sim seems pretty accurate - the traditional problem applies: the sim uses x86/x64 versions of the frameworks, where the iPad/iPhone uses ARM ones - so things get quirky if you don't remember that.

We're developing a lot of awesome stuff for our clients, as well as for the book. Most of it is confidential unfortunately. Happy to answer dev. questions though.

EDIT: Also, any reviews on any accessories?

Dock is nice, but now that I have it I don't think I'll use it (it doesn't fit when the Apple case - or any other case - is on). But it's solid and well made.

VGA adapter is great. Keynote works a treat through it.

kyte
5th April 2010, 08:31 AM
I'd be over the moon if someone could confirm that Stanza works for ipad. If it does, I'm buying at the end of the month.

desplesda
5th April 2010, 08:33 AM
Oh also, the case!

Oh my goodness you guys, the case!

It's $40US on top of the price of the device itself, but it's absolutely worthwhile. It's tough, durable, pleasant to hold, and lets you prop up the device just how you like it. It actually makes it a pleasure to use in landscape mode when it's resting horizontally, since it's inclined slightly towards you, which makes you not have to crane over it.

Summary: the case is pretty rad everyone

Paris
5th April 2010, 08:39 AM
I'd be over the moon if someone could confirm that Stanza works for ipad. If it does, I'm buying at the end of the month.

There is no iPad Stanza yet, but the iPhone Stanza works.

I suspect they'll update it soon.

iBooks can read ePub though, and there are heaps of other eBook/format readers.

gamblor
5th April 2010, 08:41 AM
Howdy,

Uber-jealous!!

The case: How does it shut? Is there a latch or does it just folder over with no locking mechanism?

Keyboard: Have you tried the keyboard dock or the wireless keyboard with it yet? Is the support for them universal (IE: can you type in Safari or TweetDeck with it) or is it limited to apps like Pages that have specific support built-in?

iBooks: Can iBooks be downloaded by Australian iTunes accounts? I know we can't access iBookstore, but can we at least download the app and transfer other ePub files onto it?

Cheers!

kyte
5th April 2010, 08:42 AM
There is no iPad Stanza yet, but the iPhone Stanza works.

I suspect they'll update it soon.

iBooks can read ePub though, and there are heaps of other eBook/format readers.

Thanks for that, Paris. I know there is no actual Stanza ipad version, they were waiting until it became obvious that Apple wouldn't shut them out.

iBooks isn't going to be available on the Australian release, I thought? and, does it allow syncing with your own stuff? I have ebooks bought at various stores in various formats and have laboriously converted to epub via Calibre... I guess this is my reasoning behind wanting stanza... the sharing aspect... is it likely iBooks will do this?

(I'm getting way too excited at the prospect of having an iPad. I'm as mad as the rest of you.)

Paris
5th April 2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks for that, Paris. I know there is no actual Stanza ipad version, they were waiting until it became obvious that Apple wouldn't shut them out.

iBooks isn't going to be available on the Australian release, I thought? and, does it allow syncing with your own stuff? I have ebooks bought at various stores in various formats and have laboriously converted to epub via Calibre... I guess this is my reasoning behind wanting stanza... the sharing aspect... is it likely iBooks will do this?

(I'm getting way too excited at the prospect of having an iPad. I'm as mad as the rest of you.)

iBooks: Can iBooks be downloaded by Australian iTunes accounts? I know we can't access iBookstore, but can we at least download the app and transfer other ePub files onto it?

Since iBooks is free and available now in the US App Store, you could just make an account there (sign out of Aus store, switch to US store, click to download any free app, create an account, select "none" as payment method) and grab it. Then you can sync all your DRM-free ePubs too iBooks and read them there (it really is beautiful to look at) even if you can't use the iBooks Store (due to lack of US credit card).

The case: How does it shut? Is there a latch or does it just folder over with no locking mechanism?

Just sits shut, not latch, no magnets - nothing fancy.

Keyboard: Have you tried the keyboard dock or the wireless keyboard with it yet? Is the support for them universal (IE: can you type in Safari or TweetDeck with it) or is it limited to apps like Pages that have specific support built-in?

Have yet to try the keyboard dock, as it's not shipping yet.

Keyboard support is universal though, the onscreen keyboard doesn't appear (unless you want it to) when a Bluetooth keyboard is connected. Bluetooth works perfectly.

iTy
5th April 2010, 08:52 AM
Oh also, the case!

Oh my goodness you guys, the case!

It's $40US on top of the price of the device itself, but it's absolutely worthwhile. It's tough, durable, pleasant to hold, and lets you prop up the device just how you like it. It actually makes it a pleasure to use in landscape mode when it's resting horizontally, since it's inclined slightly towards you, which makes you not have to crane over it.

Summary: the case is pretty rad everyone

So Decryption is poopooing the case and you are giving it a thumbs up :)

I'm looking at the Apple case or the incase moleskin look alike. Did you see any of those at the Apple store?

Paris
5th April 2010, 08:57 AM
I'm looking at the Apple case or the incase moleskin look alike. Did you see any of those at the Apple store?

Yep! Had a good play with the Incase moleskine-look case. It looks amazing, but it's very thick and significantly more bulky than the Apple case - so I went with the Apple case. I didn't want to lessen the slight form factor of the iPad by putting it in a big case that I'd probably get irritated by. With the Apple case, I hardly remember the thing is in a case - it just feels like part of the device.

kyte
5th April 2010, 09:02 AM

Cheers!

I'm not waiting. Downloading from US store. You'll need a US store account, there's a how to somewhere on the site but I can't find the link. You'll need a fake US address and a different email to register there. Unless you have a US CC you'll only be able to get access to freebies or if someone gives you a code for an app that isnt free. I don't think that even aussie itunes vouchers/cards can be used on the store.

Since iBooks is free and available now in the US App Store, you could just make an account there (sign out of Aus store, switch to US store, click to download any free app, create an account, select "none" as payment method) and grab it. Then you can sync all your DRM-free ePubs too iBooks and read them there (it really is beautiful to look at) even if you can't use the iBooks Store (due to lack of US credit card).

Already have account, and am getting ibooks as we speak (and anything else that looks decent :)

Your post will be useful as a f/u to the one I just made ...couldnt find the howto

kyte
5th April 2010, 09:03 AM
I'm wondering if this really could replace a "proper" computer for those of us winding down our computing requirements.

Re Stanza.. I'm noticing on the new iTunes, apps are now divided according to their compatibility... already several apps are in the section titled iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad. Sadly, Stanza is not one. Hoepfully it will get updated soonish.

iTy
5th April 2010, 09:26 AM
Yep! Had a good play with the Incase moleskine-look case. It looks amazing, but it's very thick and significantly more bulky than the Apple case - so I went with the Apple case. I didn't want to lessen the slight form factor of the iPad by putting it in a big case that I'd probably get irritated by. With the Apple case, I hardly remember the thing is in a case - it just feels like part of the device.

Cool thanks. Any thoughts on which one lets the iPad slip in/out the easiest?

I want to be able to put it in/out the case quickly when I need to but obviously not while walking around.

Paris
5th April 2010, 09:29 AM
Cool thanks. Any thoughts on which one lets the iPad slip in/out the easiest?

I want to be able to put it in/out the case quickly when I need to but obviously not while walking around.

Definitely not the Apple one, in that case (haha - case - do you see what I did there? :|). It's a fiddly and tight fitting process to get the iPad in and out of it.

Wait a bit, in that case (not that Australia has a choice :() - all the ones right now are either bulky or tight fitting (or just a sleeve).

DagrtheSnide
5th April 2010, 09:48 AM
Is it possible to have 2 or more user accounts on the iPad ?

Paris
5th April 2010, 09:55 AM
Is it possible to have 2 or more user accounts on the iPad ?

No, it is a single user/profile device. Behaves exactly the same as the iPhone in that respect.

BowieNIN
5th April 2010, 10:34 AM
can you download files from safari and save them to the ipad?? like mp3's or word docs etc???

Thanks

Paris
5th April 2010, 10:40 AM
can you download files from safari and save them to the ipad?? like mp3's or word docs etc???

Thanks

Not with Safari. However, I am using a 99c app called "GoodReader" which does just that.

yinyang
5th April 2010, 10:49 AM
I'm not waiting. Downloading from US store. You'll need a US store account, there's a how to somewhere on the site but I can't find the link. You'll need a fake US address and a different email to register there. Unless you have a US CC you'll only be able to get access to freebies or if someone gives you a code for an app that isnt free. I don't think that even aussie itunes vouchers/cards can be used on the store.

Already have account, and am getting ibooks as we speak (and anything else that looks decent :)

Your post will be useful as a f/u to the one I just made ...couldnt find the howto

here's the how to.....

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/18/39050-how-get-us-itunes-account-free.html

harps
5th April 2010, 10:54 AM
Paris, how did you set up a wifi hotspot with your phone?
Can this be done with a BlackBerry (9700)?

Darwiniandude
5th April 2010, 10:57 AM

Thanks

I don't have an iPad yet, but my iPhone browser of choice iCab has done a free update with iPad support, and you can download multiple files, save YouTube videos etc with that. Don't know how great the iPad support is yet though, obviously.

Darwiniandude
5th April 2010, 11:17 AM
I think I'll get the Apple case, being able to prop it at an angle for typing is my main concern. Pity, because it is a little ugly.

This is the other alternative quirky | Cloak (http://www.quirky.com/products/30-Cloak) but isn't shipping yet so who knows how great the real product is. But I think it will be too bulky.

applebyte
5th April 2010, 11:51 AM
Yes - but not an iPhone. My daily use phone is a Nexus One, so I use it to create a WiFi hotspot and the iPad connects to that. It's like having a 3G iPad.

so a nexus one can do that? :shocked:

What other phones can do this?

areal
5th April 2010, 11:59 AM
so a nexus one can do that? :shocked:

Palm Pre.

kyte
5th April 2010, 12:16 PM
I'm actually no longer fussed about Stanza. Just realised that a book app I bought a long time ago because it was one I used on iPhone before appstore, during "Installer" days, ("Bookshelf") allows downloads from your Dropbox. And its been updated for iPad.

So, I guess I will be lining up for mine as soon as possible, and its just a matter of deciding which size... 16/32/64... In the interests of efficiency, it will probably be the 64, then I wont be fussing about not having enough space and wanting to get a bigger one.

Next job: sell things to fund it. (Wanders off to create an ad)

shoyuweenie
5th April 2010, 02:41 PM
Landed this morning with 32GB iPad in hand. Sorry Anthony beat you by a day, (benefits of working for an airline ;-) Bought at Best Buy in LA area, short line, also got case with it and $100 US store credit for $90. First impression, until you hold it, you can't believe how well designed and easy to use it is. I think we are looking at the future of competing here and as it evolves laptops will face further question marks. Have downloaded apps, books (amazing), marvel comic app which is one of the best and everything it does is done it true apple style. Been using macs since 1987 and mightily impressed for a first release product.
Would I line up for one? Hell Yeah Best apple product yet? Wait till you hold it and then decide.

dickg
5th April 2010, 03:48 PM
Any thoughts about being able to rent ebooks (such as videos) or borrowing
(such as from the local library)?

desplesda
5th April 2010, 03:56 PM

Any Android device, since you can root it and make it share its 3G over wifi.

That's how Paris has his set up. Whenever I get near him my iPad jumps on to his signal and I have internet access.

Also: battery life. I've had my iPad for two days now, and I've barely charged it. It easily gets 10 hours of life.

Finally: Red Alert 3 is so awesome on the iPad. The iPad is perfect for RTS games.

Any thoughts about being able to rent ebooks (such as videos) or borrowing
(such as from the local library)?

No idea. That's up to the publishers, I guess.

shoyuweenie
5th April 2010, 04:14 PM
Buying books and movies is so easy and intuitive. There are free trial versions and it comes pre-loaded with Winnie the Poo which is nice for kids and to show off the capabilities off iPad. iBooks is a killer app. All books have trial chapters you can download for free. One tap to buy, flys onto bookshelf, its there. Reading is so much better than on a Kindle. Only downside, its heavier than a Kindle but so much more sexier and does everything you need. Downloaded episode of South Park and animation on this thing is amazing. Vibrant colours, no lag, widescreenn quite good too. iWork suite is amazing. Bought all three apps, keyboard much better than expected. Bloomberg, USA Today, BBC World all free apps in glorious iPad colour. Screen very rich and vibrant.

laughingbird
5th April 2010, 04:52 PM
VGA adapter is great. Keynote works a treat through it.

What sort of presenter display does Keynote have? The launch demo didn't show it at all. Are you able to view presenter notes as well as slides, and is it set up in a way that makes those notes properly readable if you were delivering a lecture or something?

Paris, how did you set up a wifi hotspot with your phone? Can this be done with a BlackBerry (9700)?

You can do it with a jailbroken iPhone using an excellent little app called MyWi (http://www.rockyourphone.com/index.php/mywi.html?feat=y).

PCKid
5th April 2010, 07:03 PM
What about printing wirelessly from it? I have an HP C6180 All-in-one wireless printer that I can print photos to from my iPhone but I was thinking more of Pages, emails, Notes etc direct from the iPad.

canonafficionado
5th April 2010, 08:17 PM
Has anyone tried using email on it so far?

How is the inbuilt email looking and like to use compared to say web-based ones like say this one?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JE4qNpFW6Yk/S7ZT-me6BkI/AAAAAAAAAi4/I6xotE8C7NA/gmail_on_ipad.png

proudwanderer
6th April 2010, 03:12 AM
Unless you have a US CC you'll only be able to get access to freebies or if someone gives you a code for an app that isnt free.

You can purchase US iTunes gift cards from eBay.

Paris
6th April 2010, 04:18 AM
Has anyone tried using email on it so far?

How is the inbuilt email looking and like to use compared to say web-based ones like say this one?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JE4qNpFW6Yk/S7ZT-me6BkI/AAAAAAAAAi4/I6xotE8C7NA/gmail_on_ipad.png

Inbuilt mail is fabulous. Extremely functional and fast, I've been doing my morning email on the iPad instead of my Mac.

birdseed
6th April 2010, 12:17 PM
I picked one up yesterday here in Hawaii (Sunday), and am more than happy with it so far, however a couple of things have popped up that are a little funny.

Using Maps, it is not able to find me. It believes that my location is my old place in Canberra.... which it isn't... how can I make it aware?

The App Store will not load, it tells me that it cannot connect to the app store as it is not supported in this country. If I dismiss it, it cancels the app and goes back to the home page. Under location services in Preferences, I have it as Honolulu...

I still have an Aust based iTunes account as I have 26c left in credit and cannot change until it is spent. Best I get rid of the credit and switch to a US based one I guess.

Overall, it is a great little device, but I must admit, it feels a little funny in my hands after a while, not sure how to describe it... I guess the angle it sits while on the lap, or in my hands. I think it will take a little getting used to.

Keving
6th April 2010, 12:23 PM
Using Maps, it is not able to find me. It believes that my location is my old place in Canberra.... which it isn't... how can I make it aware?

The App Store will not load, it tells me that it cannot connect to the app store as it is not supported in this country. If I dismiss it, it cancels the app and goes back to the home page. Under location services in Preferences, I have it as Honolulu...

The normal model (wi-fi) does not have GPS (Only 3G version does) therefore you need to be in an area that the wi-fi can figure out your location.

The appstore won't load since it's on an aussie account, once the aussie app store goes active it will work (eg 24th).

:)

Hopefully they help on those questions!

TheKeddi
6th April 2010, 12:38 PM
You can have 2 iTunes accounts. I do and have credit in both.

Just open the US iTunes before plugging the ipad in and it should be fine.

Cybix
6th April 2010, 01:27 PM
99% of my productivity is web based these days.

If I can tether my Apple BT keyboard to this, and continue to use Google Docs, etc, I reckon I'm set. It's quite possible my MBP will be left dusty and only used for development and encoding videos.. mmmm

birdseed
6th April 2010, 02:06 PM
Hmm, ok, if it can't work it out b/c it ISN'T 3G, then why does it say it can, and 'locates' me to my old house in Canberra? I recall that my 1st gen iPod touch used to locate me without problem, so.....?

So I spent my last 26c and changed it to a US account, and it works without problem.

One problem down, one to go.

superfly
6th April 2010, 02:12 PM
I've been searching the web for info on this, it was raised on the MacTalk podcast upon release of the iPhone....

Can you handle torrent files on the iPad? For example, if the My Documents folder can be accessed by Safari, could i go to a torrent site, download the torrent file to the My Doc folder, load the file from My Docs to Dropbox and have Transmission on my mac watch my Dropbox folder for the torrent file.

Can someone try this?

gikku
6th April 2010, 02:21 PM
HP Slate comparison (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/hp-slate-to-cost-549-have-1-6ghz-atom-z530-5-hour-battery/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fengadget+%28Enga dget%29)

but they don't have "Software: iPhone OS 3.2" highlighted red as a thread to HP ?? :crazy:

Ecto1
6th April 2010, 02:32 PM
Hmm, ok, if it can't work it out b/c it ISN'T 3G, then why does it say it can, and 'locates' me to my old house in Canberra? I recall that my 1st gen iPod touch used to locate me without problem, so.....?

You will find it dose that based on the info on your Apple ID account aka iTunes.

applebyte
6th April 2010, 02:42 PM
can anyone who's got an ipad post a screenshot as to what google docs looks like?

would like to see if it's good at doing basic word processing.

Cheers

kfc
6th April 2010, 11:35 PM
My iPad hasnt arrived yet but i'm considering buying a US itunes card to associate with my "US" account, there are a number of sites which electronicly deliver you the codes withing a few mins or buying them, I wont mention them here as they are easy enough to find. There are a few paid apps I would love to try out.

canonafficionado
7th April 2010, 12:44 AM
Inbuilt mail is fabulous. Extremely functional and fast, I've been doing my morning email on the iPad instead of my Mac.

Thanks. Sounds brilliant to use!

TheKeddi
7th April 2010, 09:16 AM
I got Anthony to get me US iTunes credit while he was in the States, I have bought a load of apps and games all ready and waiting for my ipad, should be here any day now as it has cleared Aust customs as of 1.40pm yesterday!

tcn33
7th April 2010, 10:54 AM
Posting from my dad's iPad, fresh off the plane from LA. Typing is surprisingly easy in landscape mode if you're resting it in your lap - near as fast as with a physical keyboard. No impressions on the other stuff yet though, this post is literally the first thing I've done with it :)

TheKeddi
7th April 2010, 11:15 AM
Posting from my dad's iPad, fresh off the plane from LA. Typing is surprisingly easy in landscape mode if you're resting it in your lap - near as fast as with a physical keyboard. No impressions on the other stuff yet though, this post is literally the first thing I've done with it :)

Congrats! Hurry up delivery man! I want my iPad!!!!!

Keving
7th April 2010, 12:18 PM
What times can we expect delivery? Anytime since its Courier, or morning & afternoon twice only?

d0tbat
7th April 2010, 01:16 PM
Can someone encode an divx avi file, using handbrake and the "AppleTV" preset and play the file on an iPad and maybe post a few screenshots? with original and encoded file side by side?

TheKeddi
7th April 2010, 08:31 PM
Can someone encode an divx avi file, using handbrake and the "AppleTV" preset and play the file on an iPad and maybe post a few screenshots? with original and encoded file side by side?

I use visual hub for encoding and have movies for iPhone and also apple tv ready to go, they work fine on he ipad, just tested a couple

Epub books converted in calibre work a treat in iBooks and it's just a drag and drop thing too. Veery easy!

tom5955
7th April 2010, 09:16 PM
A question about Pages, Keynote and Numbers, if you've bought them:
can you open say a word document (or pages doc) sent by email in Pages? I thought in the Apple guided tours it said you could, but have read different in some reviews.

palais
7th April 2010, 11:14 PM
I have what may be a stupid question..
Can you share a wi-fi connection from a Mac that is tethered to an iPhone?

DaveOZ
8th April 2010, 08:13 AM

Yep, it's easy.

mitty
8th April 2010, 08:24 AM

if you have a Mac, and an iphone, why would you need an ipad?

TheKeddi
8th April 2010, 08:29 AM
if you have a Mac, and an iphone, why would you need an ipad?

Hehehe, I have both and unless I am getting movies or something the macbook will hardly get a look in!

iPhone screen is too small to read on, iPad is an awesome ebook reader, web surfer and just easy to use object, and gaming is great on it.

If you don't get it then wait till you use one, then you do! lol :)

big-ray
8th April 2010, 08:52 AM
Can someone who has remotetap/vnc for thir iphone/ipod try this on the ipad please. Very interested to see how the larger screen works with remote admin apps.
Does the larger screen look just like an increased screen size version of the iphone or does it look strange with upsized icons/fonts?

itsanobscureid
8th April 2010, 09:49 AM
what sort of size are apps weighing in at guys?
trying to work out wether the 16gb will be big enough

thanks

Ecto1
8th April 2010, 10:25 AM
what sort of size are apps weighing in at guys?
trying to work out wether the 16gb will be big enough

thanks

I guess it depends on what the App is. Going through the App store and looking at the Apps made for both iPhone and iPad they seem to be anywhere around 11MB to 50MB maybe even higher.

d0tbat
8th April 2010, 11:06 AM
I use visual hub for encoding and have movies for iPhone and also apple tv ready to go, they work fine on he ipad, just tested a couple

Epub books converted in calibre work a treat in iBooks and it's just a drag and drop thing too. Veery easy!

Sweet! I've used visual hub before but it tended to skew the sound/video sync progressively (ie after an hour the sync would be a 3-5 seconds out)

TheKeddi
8th April 2010, 11:07 AM
I have about 30 apps ing some games. 10 ebooks. 2 movies. And I am not eve 1/4 way into my 16 gig. I don't think I will ever need a bigger one. ESP since I won't be putting music on this. I have an iPod for that. That will save loads of room!

maclab
8th April 2010, 06:38 PM
I had a play with one here in hong kong, very disappointed about the calender , no more friendly than the iPhone for inputting appointments, looks like it will b not be able to completely replace My mbp for work

skritter
8th April 2010, 10:20 PM
I had a play with one....very disappointed.....looks like it will b not be able to completely replace My mbp for work

It's not ment to replace your bloomin Macbook Pro, you git.

Some people just dont get it.

Al Aero
8th April 2010, 10:28 PM
Used it today at Xero in Carlton.

FUCKING WANT!

SLY
8th April 2010, 10:41 PM
It's not ment to replace your bloomin Macbook Pro, you git.

Some people just dont get it.

Bwahhh, funny stuff

I'm just getting it to leave on the lounge table so I don't have to move off the couch or sit with a heavy cooking hot lap top to check the net or email and stuff like that.. It not for replacing the PC in the study

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegurio
10th April 2010, 09:15 AM
I had a play with one here in hong kong, very disappointed about the calender , no more friendly than the iPhone for inputting appointments, looks like it will b not be able to completely replace My mbp for work

Have you checked out the calendar app "Pocket Informant"? Alex and the guys there work tirelessly to create something special and are getting it better and better... They have a huge background with what pwoe want due to their winmo version and slowly but surely are getting the iPhone (and now the iPad version) up to the same standard. It's not the cheapest one out there but it is certainly in the top 3.

Disclaimer: I have got this program and have also used the winmo version extensively. Other than that I have no interest in the company.

TheKeddi
10th April 2010, 11:13 AM
I have been using mine while sitting on my bed mostly. For reading books and checking forums and things. Much better than having the MacBook sitting on my knee.

Shintaro
10th April 2010, 12:42 PM
TheKeddi or Decryption,

Could you confirm that Apple has reduced the number of supported languages
on the iPad???
Or, instead of counting & comparing, could you tell me if Korean is supported?

Thanks.

TheKeddi
10th April 2010, 12:44 PM
I just checked the languages but the Asian ones are not written in English so I have no idea! Sorry

kevinnugent
10th April 2010, 01:05 PM
Simplified Chinese and Japanese are the only asian languages supported so far.

decryption
10th April 2010, 01:09 PM
TheKeddi or Decryption,

Could you confirm that Apple has reduced the number of supported languages
on the iPad???
Or, instead of counting & comparing, could you tell me if Korean is supported?

Thanks.

http://onemorething.com.au/imgdump/IMG_0468-20100410-130835.jpg

Shintaro
10th April 2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for that, Japanese & Chinese only, thus far.
Wonder why they dropped Korean, since it's on the iPhone.

Perhaps they haven't got around to resizing all the keyboards yet?

Thanks again!

led-zep
10th April 2010, 03:44 PM
heres a question guys, im thinking i know the answer, with the iPad if i sync it to iTunes with my US account signed in and sync all purchases made on the US store, can i sync my Australian purchased content as well? im thinking yes cause it is all stored in itunes so it shouldn't matter what stuff you sync to it? i may be way off however!

im going europe in june (ill buy iPad in Australia) but i want some iBook content and figure it wont be released here for a while. so id like to purchase ibooks and sync them, whilst also syncing the tv shows/movies ive paid for here on iTunes Aus store?

marc
10th April 2010, 03:56 PM
I think it's the same as on iPhone, where you can have two iTunes accounts and as much content as you'd like all synced to one device. I have an iPad here (woo!), but I haven't created a US iTunes account yet. Probably will today to get iBooks and some books.

decryption
10th April 2010, 03:57 PM
Anything in iTunes will sync to an iPad fine :)

greggy
10th April 2010, 04:15 PM
So, with the wifi version, are location services adequate, would you think? I'm wanting to use one in the car with google maps or a 3rd party maps app. If i'm using tethering from MyWi on my iPhone, will this be maybe good enough? Obviously having GPS would be superior, but has anyone found the use of Wifi location services to be accurate enough?

led-zep
10th April 2010, 04:17 PM
marc and decryption

if there was a bowing down emoticon this would be the perfect time to use it! thanks..cannot wait to buy my iPad 32GB wifi+3G ! i just hope they have the microsims available in europe in june/july!

ill be mainly going to places that have T mobile as their carrier.

kevinnugent
10th April 2010, 05:59 PM
You should be able to cut down a full size sim in the worse case scenario.

iphonedev
10th April 2010, 07:40 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question.

How did you guys go about creating an ITunes US account to download the IPad apps?

Don't you need a US credit card for that?

I need to create one for the IPad that is arriving on Monday,Any heads up / links to the account creation will be helpful

Cheers

kevinnugent
10th April 2010, 07:46 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question.

How did you guys go about creating an ITunes US account to download the IPad apps?

Don't you need a US credit card for that?

I need to create one for the IPad that is arriving on Monday,Any heads up / links to the account creation will be helpful

Cheers

You can use US iTunes gift cards too. Available online too, although I don't know where from. You'll be best setting up a Gmail account and use a theoretical US address. It's easy to do once you have the US iTunes credit.

iphonedev
10th April 2010, 07:59 PM
You can use US iTunes gift cards too. Available online too, although I don't know where from. You'll be best setting up a Gmail account and use a theoretical US address. It's easy to do once you have the US iTunes credit.

Thanks

All Good

Did go down the path of a US ITunes card

Cheers

ZAK248313
11th April 2010, 12:43 PM
Where did you get your gift card from?

Looking for an online shop that sends an instand code if anyone knows of any?

iphonedev
11th April 2010, 07:56 PM
Where did you get your gift card from?

Looking for an online shop that sends an instand code if anyone knows of any?

I got it from here.

Pretty quick.

Maximus Cards - Your number one source for Instant Xbox Live Points, PSN Card, Wii Points, Warcraft Key and iTunes Prepaid (http://www.maximuscards.com/itempage.php?cat=6)

Cheers

iphonedev
12th April 2010, 05:40 PM
I received mine today

What a feeling!

Will attach pictures shortly.

iTy
14th April 2010, 09:37 AM
Anyone managed to get Google Docs to work with the iPad?

Comet
14th April 2010, 10:31 AM
Anyone managed to get Google Docs to work with the iPad?

No dice :(

dawsman
14th April 2010, 12:36 PM
Just got my 16GB iPad WiFi! Won on eBay on Monday and received today.... stoked. Only tried it for 10mins at work and already love it - familiar but different (I have an iPhone). My boss had already decided to buy one after having a go!

Looking forward to getting home and having a play (with the iPad).

MizuInOz
14th April 2010, 04:35 PM
Got mine (64 GB) in the mail on Monday - early. Learned a few things about syncing - do not sync photos at first (you will "spin" for hours). Now have 181 apps (mostly iPad specific - do not like the upscaled iPhone/iPod Touch ones of the most part). 23 full length feature films, 1590 song, 632 photos, five documents loaded for pages, numbers and keynote - and I still have 18.1 GBs left.

Impressions - You will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands to get it from me. I like it as much as ______ (fill in the blank).

Yesterday, I took it on walkies and went to an independent Mac store here in Brissie - looking for a carrying case that also will hold the wireless KB - pull it out to show a mate of mine who works there and left an hour later - many demos!

Then went to a business meeting and used Keynote to give a presentation. Was asked to design an iPad app for them (not my line of work) and was offered a job, too. (I own my own company - so, not interested).

Every person in the meeting is now planning to buy one where they really didn't have an interest in the iPhone. ("After all it is only a phone" - was one comment).

I have been using it to write emails, work on a business plan, manufacturing plan and marketing plan for my company. Flawless.

I have watched/experienced a few movies now. It isn't just watching. If you hold the iPad in your hands or have it on your lap while you are watching, you will feel the vibrations through the case from where the speakers are actually located to the ports on the bottom/side of the iPad. I am sure this is intentional. 1) Much better sound quality and 2) involving more senses creates more of an envelope of involvement. You become more addicted more easily the more senses are stimulated. Visual, aural, tactile. Just need taste!

Smooth transitions on almost every app.

iBook is amazing. Also 3D Bookshelf. Will convert many of my e-books using Calibre. Will probably use up more of what s left in memory.

I will get MiFi. I feel it is the better way to go. Not tied to a certain carrier and I can pop a SIM in when I am travelling.

The Elements is fasking awesome! Time Magazine April 12th edition is like reading the mag without the ink smell. My favourite drawing apps, so far, are SketchBook and SketchPad.

Instapaper is the best news reader.

Delicious Library's "Library" is perfect. Synced with my iPad with zero problems.

Games: for me - Zen Bound 2, Warpgate HD, RealRacingHD and Plain Old Sol.

1Password is a must have.

I have Photogene and Camera for iPad - to massage photos.

Epicurious - because I like to cook.

Now - what would I like to see - that is possibly possible:
1) A connection scheme to be in landscape mode for both movie watching and working (Pages, Keynote and Numbers) (Don't give me heaps about use my laptop for work).

2) A case that doesn't scream that I have something electronic in it. That will also hold a wireless KB and power supply.

3) Ability to customise some of the setting in the apps and

4) rant - GET RID OF THE ADS! I hate the ads in Safari, in apps that are so f****ng intrusive! - end rant!

Thanks for listening.

One final thing - if you really think that this is an oversized iPhone or iPod touch - you have not held one or used one.

Oh, clarity! Amazing!
Fast! An extension of self.

Years ago, I sat with some friends and said that the day would come when we would have a Newton but it would be able to do so much more and it would be about the size of a magazine.

It's here.

Cheers.