PDA

View Full Version : Getting Read/write access to external USB HDD

Mychael
4th April 2010, 06:35 PM
We are using an Apollo/Imation USB powered external HDD to transfer data from our PC laptop to the Mac.

The Mac sees the drive and can access and transfer the data fine but has read only access so it cannot delete the stuff off the external HDD. We cannot seem to get read/write permission on the drive when it's plugged into the Mac.

Would it be as the drive came formatted NT file system and not FAT32.?

Mychael

snark
4th April 2010, 06:44 PM
Would it be as the drive came formatted NT file system and not FAT32.?

Yes, you only get read access to NTFS out of the box.

Fortunately, there are ways of getting read/write access. I use NTFS-3G, but there are others.

<edit> link: Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - NTFS-3G (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/ntfs3g.html)

Mychael
4th April 2010, 08:10 PM
Ran Gparted on the PC and formatted the drive that way. pita though that you cannot do it under the OS.

Mike

andrewts
7th April 2010, 05:13 PM
Hi,

Just so you know, once you have installed NTFS-3G, the Disk Utility in Mac OS X will actually allow you to format a drive in NTFS. :)

Mychael
7th April 2010, 05:20 PM
Hi,

Just so you know, once you have installed NTFS-3G, the Disk Utility in Mac OS X will actually allow you to format a drive in NTFS. :)

Handy, thanks.

~Coxy
7th April 2010, 06:22 PM
While true that NTFS appears as an option in Disk Utility, I have never gotten it to actually work! (I have tried several times on different disks, too.)

It can't hurt to try of course, and if it works for you then brilliant, but it's best to use a Windows machine to format to NTFS in my opinion.

andrewts
7th April 2010, 07:02 PM
it's best to use a Windows machine to format to NTFS in my opinion.

Definitely true.

NTFS-3G doesn't seem to handle file metadata the same way Windows does, so more often than not if a file has been written to NTFS by a Mac, the Windows PC will have trouble accessing it anyway. In my experience this isn't a problem under Linux, though.