PDA

View Full Version : Mac Book - 2 external screens

Stacks
4th April 2010, 10:06 AM
I was wondering if it would be possible to connect my macbook up to two external screens.

At the moment i use one external screen in conjunction with the macbook for a dual screen set up.
What i would like, is to have 2 external screens running, with one replacing the macbooks current role so the laptop can be closed and put out of the way.

The computer is a 2010 macbook, 2.26GHz intel core 2 duo, 4Gb RAM.

micka
4th April 2010, 10:58 AM
Is this (http://www.streetwise.com.au/matrox-matrox-dualhead2go-digital-edition-p-5761.html) what you're looking for?

fnqguy
4th April 2010, 11:16 AM
... or maybe this. Not tried one so not sure of performance,

OWC USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA Video Display (Up to... (VIDU2DVIA) at OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/VIDU2DVIA/)

iceman_melb
5th April 2010, 10:06 AM
You can certainly use the Matrox DualHead2Go DisplayPort Edition. I own both a DisplayLink USB-DVI Display adaptor and a Matrox TripleHead2Go DisplayPort edition and frankly, the Matrox box is a lot better is performance for the slight increase in price.

With the USB->DVI solution, when I'm running say a youtube video within a browser, I noticed some of the peripherals becomes less responsive due to USB bandwidth. Even when my MacBook Pro is running some intensive application, the USB connected LCD becomes less responsive. The solution does work but suffers when you have USB Harddisk, iphone, camera and other devices competing for the USB 2.0 bandwidth.

The Matrox solution give me the ability to run video smoothly and my software works without having to do anything. It's a very elegant solution and quite straight forward to use. The firmware on the Matrox box gets updated every so often and last year they increase the resolution supported via firmware update! Your requirement is for 2 external monitor so a DualHead2Go DisplayPort Edition is what you need. Shop around for better prices.

Hope this helps.