PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to the first broken ipad screen thread

mitty
2nd April 2010, 09:58 PM
Okay, today is n-1 days until the first "OMG I dropped my ipad/my ipad slid off the bed/my ipad slipped off the couch/my ipad slipped off the table and the screen is shattered" thread.

We all know it's going to happen, it's only a matter of time now. In fact I'm willing to bet we see an image or video of it before it's even released in Australia (because well most of the ipad users will be Americans and lots of Americans are silly and at least one of them is bound to drop the thing).

I only hope that this horrific fate doesn't befall any of the ipads Decryption is bringing back into the country, either before, or after, they arrive.

alextrob
3rd April 2010, 12:21 AM
I'll bet someone will drop their iPad on the ground as they excitedly fumble to get it out of the box as they walk out of an Apple store.

mattydee
3rd April 2010, 12:34 AM
Smash my iPad (http://smashmyipad.com/)

some group is fundraising to buy one then smash it in/as soon as they get out of the store - it was also done with ipods and a 360

i just hope they dont do it at 5th avenue while anthony is there - the look on his face would even make ballmer sad

mitty
3rd April 2010, 07:50 AM
^I figured something like that would happen. They don't count... I want a real ipad user to break it in the course of ordinary use.
N-2 Days and counting :)

nibbles
3rd April 2010, 08:12 AM

some group is fundraising to buy one then smash it in/as soon as they get out of the store - it was also done with ipods and a 360

i just hope they dont do it at 5th avenue while anthony is there - the look on his face would even make ballmer sad

I can't believe somebody would pay $499 for one and smash it! If i saw that I wouldn't be happy with the people who did it!

kernalpanx
3rd June 2010, 02:23 AM
My screen has multi coloured lines on it and is growing from a few lines to about 2 inches thick now .... i had the ipad 2 days .... called Apple Canada ... two weeks to replace.

TheKeddi
3rd June 2010, 08:34 AM
Someone has put up the broke the ipad thread today! His boss dropped it on tiles and cracked the screen. Guess they are not made to bounce!

supafly
3rd June 2010, 09:14 AM
I saw someone break a demo model at JB HIFI on launch day. Dropped it face down on the counter- cracked right down the middle. The sales rep had a go at the girl that dropped it saying she will have to pay for it, the girls partner says "Wanna bet, you guys are insured for shit like this" then they walked out while security tried stopping them without luck.

mitty
3rd June 2010, 10:33 AM
^Yep... I really question the wisdom of having them "loose" for people to play with. They should really be in some kind of case so people can still try them but not toss em around.

eaglesteve2
3rd June 2010, 11:07 AM
I hope the encase casing that I use is capable of providing protection against screen breakage due to accidental fall at least. Using it naked is too slippery too provide a secure grip in my opinion.

I don't know if the use if screen protector would slightly increase the strength of the screen against breakage somewhat, but I guess it should.

6andy6
3rd June 2010, 11:14 AM
Too late.

My partner reported seeing a young girl (under 30) on a Sandringham line (Melbourne) train Tuesday get up and drop the iPad as she got off and the top of the screen crack. She off course - as you would expect burst into tears. As you would also expect - most of the passengers just stepped over it and continued to walk on and not help her. :(

iMac
3rd June 2010, 01:39 PM
This is enough to make anyone cry.

iPad Repairs Stacking Up (http://www.powerbookmedic.com/wordpress/2010/05/28/ipad-repairs-stacking-up)

Seems the yanks are clumsy enough for these guys to have to employ a full time iPad repair tech :S

Simonjcook
5th June 2010, 05:48 PM
Well I have broken my screen already just by holding it. Not dropped, not hit or squashed. I did it by holding the corner pinched between my thumb and fingers. These things are way too fragile and now I'm afraid to hold it by the edges at all. So sad too - I am a full time student and sold a bunch of stuff to buy one to do all my reading at home (love iAnnotate PDF).

I expect there well be lots of similar cases of breakages. It's way too flimsy. I am buying a rigid shell so it doesn't get worse. As it is I have cut my fingers on the crack a couple of times.

Not a happy Apple owner!

wolfie
5th June 2010, 06:49 PM
ill imagine these to be more prone to breaking the iphone simply because of the size of it, rather than the materials or design being weaker.

gehenna
5th June 2010, 06:54 PM
ill imagine these to be more prone to breaking the iphone simply because of the size of it, rather than the materials or design being weaker.

I think most people break their iPhone screen by having it in their pocket and whacking it unintentionally, or sitting on it, or just dropping it/dropping something on it. I can't see the iPad has having those problems - especially since a lot of people (as far as I can tell) are keen to store them inside cases with hard covers. So unless you're sitting on the iPad by accident I don't see how you'd break it unless you drop it. I've yet to hear of a broken glass display on a MacBook, not that I doubt they exist, but I imagine breaking an iPad screen would be around similar numbers to an actual MacBook.

lord
5th June 2010, 07:17 PM
You might also need to count putting things on iPad accidentally, thats certainly a possibility. The glass seems pretty strong though.

Simonjcook
7th June 2010, 10:15 PM
Like I said .. cracked mine just by holding it in the corner ... it's super fragile folks.

amstrad_mac
7th June 2010, 10:39 PM
You should be able to get a replacement as long it hasn't been dropped..

joshodermatt
8th June 2010, 01:15 AM
You should be able to get a replacement as long it hasn't been dropped..

Apple and broken screens, you fight until the cows come home..
even if it wasn't accidental damage.

sirstaunch
8th June 2010, 02:09 AM
I have a small scratch in a corner I just noticed ;-(

drumstyx
8th June 2010, 10:28 AM
Well I have broken my screen already just by holding it. Not dropped, not hit or squashed. I did it by holding the corner pinched between my thumb and fingers. These things are way too fragile and now I'm afraid to hold it by the edges at all. So sad too - I am a full time student and sold a bunch of stuff to buy one to do all my reading at home (love iAnnotate PDF).

I expect there well be lots of similar cases of breakages. It's way too flimsy. I am buying a rigid shell so it doesn't get worse. As it is I have cut my fingers on the crack a couple of times.

Not a happy Apple owner!

If it wasn't due to abuse, that's 100% apple's problem, get on the phone and start complaining! (that is, if the applecare reps at the store won't exchange it when you tell them what happened). Just keep elevating that call, I'd be furious if I were you!

Simonjcook
9th June 2010, 10:35 PM
Actually I am just really disappointed ... It was the ideal device for my study needs and I sacrificed a big portion of what little money I have for one. For it to break so easily was pretty hard to take. Some days I can ignore the crack and look past it but yesterday i actually sliced my finger on it. It really does suck!

sleek881
9th June 2010, 10:47 PM
You must realise that it is glass and no glass is unbreakable. You should never hold a piece of glass by the corner as it wont bend or give like plastics. Even if it is an aluminum frame.

Ozherbie
12th June 2010, 07:36 AM

I'm not sure the group with the 360 and the guys doing the iPod/iPad stuff in this case are the same people. I point this out simply because the reasons for raising the money to smash an iPad are quite legitimate from a DRM protest standpoint.

I think they could make more of an impact fighting the DRM stuff on a legal front but apparently they are involved in that as well.