PDA

View Full Version : Multiple apps for books

ozerus
2nd April 2010, 07:08 PM
Is anyone else mildly concerned about all this talk about apps for books that have "more functionality" ?

it's bad enough that there will be a kindle app, ibook app, comic books app, bla bla bla, any books I buy are going to be spread out from each publisher and not all within one app, what will happen if the same thing that happened with music DRM happens with the bookstore DRM and other reading devices become available, all of these books will be tied into all these other apps and spread out.

Let alone trying to remember where each book will be stored and how with what format and with what restrictions?

What will happen when a publisher goes under? and it's really not a case of if, it truly is a when question that needs to be thought about here and I say when because if my ideas are correct publishing on the iPad will be significantly easier, self published books are bound to start popping up on the ibooks just like in the itunes music section.

What is the case here? anyone have an insight to that sort of thing?

I know some will say something about only using the iPad, that's all well and great but what if I don't want to use the iPad, like my music, I don't just use my iPhone or iPod to listen to music, I play music over my stereo using Plexapp which streams the music from my NAS and it can't decode DRM music (I don't have any DRM music mind you).

hmm just something I'm thinking about.

snark
2nd April 2010, 07:23 PM
I thought the reader apps were a bit like web browsers - they all do basically the same thing, and are roughly interchangeable, but have different features and functions.

Or is that a poor analogy?

Stez
2nd April 2010, 07:47 PM
Apple should draw the line and tell devs if you want your book on the iPad it goes in the iBook store, not as an app.

Remy
2nd April 2010, 08:09 PM
Apple should draw the line and tell devs if you want your book on the iPad it goes in the iBook store, not as an app.

I agree with the idea of having one central place for books on the iPad (one icon and one interface = less apps on the home screen and more consistency, which I'm all for), but as much as part of me wants that, Apple would have to cop quite a bit of criticism from the pundits for supposedly being a bunch of control freaks if they did that.

To go on a bit of a tangent in terms of the Kindle app -

It's interesting, because allowing other book apps on the iPad would be a bit like allowing parallel App Stores on the App Store, such as Cydia. Now, we know that will never happen and yet Apple doesn't seem to have a problem with allowing Amazon and the rest to take control.

Disallowing the Kindle app would be very controversial and a deal-breaker for many potential iPad customers, so it's a bad idea to reject it. Remember, Amazon hasn't submitted Kindle for iPad yet, so there is still the opportunity for Apple to do so. The optimal solution for us would be for Apple to integrate Kindle books into the iBooks app, but again, there's no chance that's going to happen.

Essentially, Apple is in a tricky situation when it comes to book apps on the iPad, and I think it will be a while before we see any changes with these third party iBooks competitors. My guess is that Apple's hoping iPad will kill Kindle, thus, with few people buying books from Amazon, there would be no need to look for a better solution in the future.

Alessiman
6th April 2010, 09:35 AM
I have been a Zinio Subscriber for a number of years now and found out that they have released a Zinio app for the iPad via email this morning

This is very exciting news as Zinio probably do the best online magazines I've seen

I have (cough cough) downloaded a couple of samples from Penthouse etc. I'll be interested to see how they look on the iPad

grfxninja
6th April 2010, 10:17 AM
I have (cough cough) downloaded a couple of samples from Penthouse etc. I'll be interested to see how they look on the iPad

Are you going to carry your iPad around in a brown paper bag too :p

Quasar
6th April 2010, 02:10 PM

Though that severely limits the functionality you can offer. ePub is really quite limited. I do really wish though that there was better curation of the Book section by Apple and that there was a separate section for periodicals.

dickg
6th April 2010, 04:37 PM
Does anyone have a comment on renting ebooks (a la video stores) or borrowing (as in from the local library)? I will not pay retail for an ebook I may only read once.

This issue is a decision-maker for me.

gehenna
6th April 2010, 04:38 PM
Does anyone have a comment on renting ebooks (a la video stores) or borrowing (as in from the local library)? I will not pay retail for an ebook I may only read once.

This issue is a decision-maker for me.

There will be no renting ebooks.

kyte
6th April 2010, 05:11 PM

I'd be pretty peeved if this were to happen. It would be enough for me NOT to buy an iPad. Like others, I like to read my books wherever. Currently I can read them on the iphone *and* my computers of whichever flavour, using a variety of readers (I seem to have settled on Stanza, though, for Mac and iphone, whatever I can get on Ubuntu, and yBook reader on Windows).

I *would* be delighted if apple would NOT continue to make available random books with built-in readers as separate entities on any platform ... those are just flat out annoying. I see Alice in Wonderland is already available for purchase for ipad... in two variants. You can get it as a freebie from almost anywhere, for any existing reader.

Quasar
7th April 2010, 01:28 PM
There will be no renting ebooks.

Well I imagine apps could be made, certainly in relation to libraries. Or at least I'd hope so as that would be a deal breaker in terms of its use as a ereader.

gehenna
7th April 2010, 01:34 PM
Well I imagine apps could be made, certainly in relation to libraries. Or at least I'd hope so as that would be a deal breaker in terms of its use as a ereader.

The challenge is making it a workable revenue stream. Why bother renting a book for free (libraries are free so why bother renting on a device if you're not buying), or renting it for a small percentage of its purchase price when you can just sell it for the original price and make a small fortune. Makes no fiscal sense to me.

El Guardo
7th April 2010, 02:10 PM
Remember, Amazon hasn't submitted Kindle for iPad yet, so there is still the opportunity for Apple to do so.

Kindle iPad App Officially Available. (http://gizmodo.com/5508577/kindle-ipad-app-officially-available-in-itunes)

dickg
7th April 2010, 05:15 PM
But libraries buy books at retail (check the fly) and libraries do serious 'business' lending books. The DVD rental industry is huge.

Neither authors, publishers, movie makers nor DVD retailers whinge, so there must be something in it for them.

The only difference between library books and DVD rentals is method of content delivery.