PDA

View Full Version : Japan Release Date

tom_mclean
2nd April 2010, 05:18 PM
Hi there, I am going on a trip to Tokyo soon and am wondering whether it would be a. cheaper or b. faster to get it there rather then wait for it to come out here in Australia.

I've done a fair few searches trying to find information on both, but since I don't read or speak Japanese it is turning out harder than I anticipated.

If anyone has information on this topic, or if people will have to pre-order iPads like in America, this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Any other misc travel tips?

Edit: I plan on going to the Apple Store in Ginza.

gehenna
2nd April 2010, 05:26 PM
Canada, UK, Italy and Australia are the only known releases outside USA, and they will be late April.

MightyAtom
2nd April 2010, 05:42 PM
Canada, UK, Italy and Australia are the only known releases outside USA, and they will be late April.

Actually this initial international release countries are Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK. April 24 is the rumoured date.

As to pricing, Japan seems cheaper (only slightly) than Australia though sales tax is only 5% if I recall correctly. Also, the Apple store may do an on the spot sales tax refund for tourists, I'm not sure.

gehenna
2nd April 2010, 06:00 PM
Ahh I sit corrected :)

tom_mclean
2nd April 2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for that. Any info as to whether I will have to pre-order? Is it worth the bother?

Remy
2nd April 2010, 07:14 PM
Edit: I plan on going to the Apple Store in Ginza.

Make sure you take a trip in the lift. I was so amazed at what I found on level three :)

As for the iPad release, as noted above, it will be released at the simultaneously in all the countries with an Apple Store. So you won't have any benefit in terms of time, and probably not in terms of cost either. Wait it out until April 24th (rumoured) and get one that's in the English language!

Nightwish
2nd April 2010, 07:48 PM
I bought my wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse duty-free from the Apple store in Ginza last November, saved me a bit. I imagine this wouldn't be any different for the iPad! :)

Edit: Tom, I enjoy your avatar ^-^

areal
2nd April 2010, 07:52 PM
...get one that's in the English language!

iPhones sold in Japan have full English support. iPads will be the same I think.

iFanboy
2nd April 2010, 07:56 PM
But you would probably save more money by just buying the iPad in Oz and getting GST Back

Remy
2nd April 2010, 07:58 PM
iPhones sold in Japan have full English support. iPads will be the same I think.

Sure, but the native language would still be Japanese. I know I'm being really picky here, but I'd rather not have to change that every time I, say, restore my iPad or similar. Unless I could speak Japanese :p

areal
2nd April 2010, 08:03 PM
Sure, but the native language would still be Japanese. I know I'm being really picky here, but I'd rather not have to change that every time I, say, restore my iPad or similar. Unless I could speak Japanese :p

I don't think you'd have to. I switched my iPhone to English on the day I got it and can't remember having to again, despite jail-breaking, restoring, updating, etc.

Remy
2nd April 2010, 08:47 PM
I don't think you'd have to. I switched my iPhone to English on the day I got it and can't remember having to again, despite jail-breaking, restoring, updating, etc.

In that case, I stand corrected!

tom5955
2nd April 2010, 10:27 PM
Has anything about the release in Hong Kong been said? I have family that works there and Apple stuff is generally a fair bit cheaper there.