PDA

View Full Version : iPad Camera Connection Kit - Capabilities?

scritch
2nd April 2010, 11:06 AM
I found the specs for it on Apple US's website:

With the iPad Camera Connection Kit, it's incredibly easy to download photos from your digital camera to your iPad so you can view them on the gorgeous iPad display and share them with family and friends.

The kit includes two connectors, each with a different interface:

The Camera Connector features a USB interface. Just plug it into the dock connector port on your iPad, then attach your digital camera or iPhone using a USB cable (not included).
Use the SD Card Reader to import photos directly from your camera's SD card. Connect it to your iPad, then insert your digital camera's SD card into the slot.

After you make the connection, your iPad automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which pictures to import, then organizes the selected photos into albums. When you sync iPad to your PC or Mac, the photos on your iPad are added to your computer's photo library.

iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW.

What I'm really hoping to find out when it comes out is what it's ability is for sharing full-resolution photos on the go to sites such as Flickr & Picasa, as well as imported video to YouTube etc.

I'd also like it to be able to recognise the GPS location tags from my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 (http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/zs7_tz10/index.html) (awesome camera BTW) - but the description seems to state "Places" support only when synced to iPhoto on Mac.

Reason? This would be an awesome "travel/backpacking" machine so as I am on holidays or travelling for work I can post photos, blogs, twitter etc without requiring me to carry a laptop.

Here's hoping it can do these pretty simple things.

Regards,
Shane.

scritch
6th April 2010, 03:10 PM
Not sure when this accessory is released, but anyone with a camera that's able to test this for me when it is released it would be appreciated.

Then again I may get my answers with the iPhone OS 4.0 info next week?

Regards,
Shane.

tcn33
6th April 2010, 03:15 PM
The Flickr app says it allows uploads and supports OS 3.2 - so that would appear to be a yes.

Flickr for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/flickr/id328407587?mt=8)

Until the Camera Connector is released you probably won't get a definitive answer though.

nathant123
6th April 2010, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know if the RAW files will be able to be downloaded from the ipad to the mac or does it do that stupid iphoto thing where it automatically converts the RAW files into JPEGs? I'll be travelling in June and this would be a great little system to store and view files but I also would like to be able to download the RAW files back at home to tinker with them.