PDA

View Full Version : iPad storage -> NAS??

Mikey
2nd April 2010, 09:19 AM
Sorry if this is done to death, but I can't find it discussed here.

The iPad is plainly lacking in the storage dept. Can it set its default photo library location to a NAS? and similarly with iTunes library etc

I'm thinking we can use the MBP to import photos, CDs etc, bung them on the NAS and look at them on the iPad, but the iPad website makes no mention of how to store stuff, other than on the 16, 32 or 64Gb flash memory.

Anyone got any idea if defaulting libraries to the NAS would work?

LevMac
2nd April 2010, 09:45 AM
Hmmm, I think there is an application available to stream your stuff ?

Cybix
2nd April 2010, 10:07 AM
the iPad is a 'sync and go' device, like an iPod or iPhone. It's designed to be linked to your mac and sync'd regularly, thus, doesn't require epic storage space. It would take you approx 40 days to listen to 64GB of music, non stop, back to back, without a break. If you aren't sync'ing your iPad over a 40 day period, I don't think the device is for you.

In actual answer to your question. You could 'stream' photo's and music to an iPad using a DLNA client app (which there are some on the app store, for ipod/iphone, I'm sure there will be one for iPad too). Of course, your NAS or network storage would need to support DLNA.

Cheers

ZacDavies
3rd April 2010, 02:54 PM
Air video (http://appshopper.com/utilities/air-video) will be amazing on the iPad, already love it on the iPhone.

Bogus Jimmy
3rd April 2010, 03:36 PM
Use the cloud (MobileMe, DropBox, Flickr, Last.fm, etc), stream from your own server/NAS (DLNA, UPnP, Air Video, AirFoil, lots of other streaming apps) or Sync with iTunes and carry the media locally.

The first two options require considerations of data usage/connection and the other you just need the space on your iPad.

The photo library (in the Photos app) and the music (in the iPod app) will always be stored locally on the iPad itself.

jsharpe
6th April 2010, 05:52 AM
I have many 10's of thousands of photos already stored on a NAS. When not being used of web surfing etc. I would like to use our iPads' photo frame capability for a random slideshow of these images. I've searched the initial iPad apps and found possible solutions for Flickr, Facebook, etc. but I want what the original post described, the ability to pull photos off a local NAS.

While downloading set of images to the iPad might be a temporary workaround, it's a silly limitation for a networked device specifically targeted at consuming information on the network. If anyone comes across an app that does this please let me know. (I doubt I'll need to wait long. However if nothing shows up I may just throw one together for my own use.)

Mikey
6th April 2010, 08:53 AM
...I may just throw one together for my own use

Great! I'm glad I'm not the only one to be thinking along these lines. Its really my partner that wants the iPad, and virtually all she does with computers is surf the net, watch videos, listen to music and look at photos.

We are considering re-ripping all our CDs into Apple Lossless and using an iPod and/or Airport Express into powered speakers to cut down on clutter, but this will mean that all our music should be on a NAS rather than duplicated on two different hard drives (and then backed up on two more!). It seems crazy (to me) to use an iPad like an iPod and just sync from your main computer the stuff you want to use at any one time. Surely streaming is the way to go.:blushed:

Balthazar
6th April 2010, 09:04 AM
Air video (http://appshopper.com/utilities/air-video) will be amazing on the iPad, already love it on the iPhone.

+1 Airvideo

Paul2304
4th June 2010, 07:35 PM
Media Link Player Lite appears to do the job well. I am using it to access the photo and music libraries on my Windows 7 PC.

Cheers, Paul

yagankiely
4th June 2010, 07:51 PM
the iPad is a 'sync and go' device, like an iPod or iPhone. It's designed to be linked to your mac and sync'd regularly, thus, doesn't require epic storage space. It would take you approx 40 days to listen to 64GB of music, non stop, back to back, without a break. If you aren't sync'ing your iPad over a 40 day period, I don't think the device is for you.

In actual answer to your question. You could 'stream' photo's and music to an iPad using a DLNA client app (which there are some on the app store, for ipod/iphone, I'm sure there will be one for iPad too). Of course, your NAS or network storage would need to support DLNA.

Cheers
The problem with that is that syncing 64gbs of data over USB takes for to. Long to be practical.

Also I have 40 days and 160gbs. I've always hated that way of measurement. I just rip higher quality mp3s.

Mikey
5th June 2010, 12:13 AM
The problem with that is that syncing 64gbs of data over USB takes for to. Long to be practical.

Exactly, so just keep all your crap on another drive, and access it from the super convenient form factor of the iPad :).

I'll check out Media Link Player Lite. Thanks, Paul

ParanoidAndroid
6th June 2010, 10:08 PM
My experience trying to find a decent iPhoto sharing app.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/86595-app-view-shared-iphoto-libraries.html