PDA

View Full Version : 3G Plans in AUS?

Stez
1st April 2010, 08:46 PM
Any guesses to what type of usage and pricing we will see in Australia? Looking at the base 3G model but will be really put off if the plans are super expensive. Never bought an iPhone and really like the idea of internet everywhere without the iPhone's small screen and my MBP's size + putting a dongle in the USB. I'm hoping to see something not too expensive and seeing as I don't think it'll be locked to one carrier here we should see some competition as far as pricing goes.

BTW: Second post here! Been reading for a while (Longtime member of MacRumors) and switching between the two sites I went to reply to a thread here like I would at MacRumors and got the join prompt, so joined haha :p

samuelowens
1st April 2010, 08:49 PM
Telstra Pre-paid - 4GB, 180 day expiry, $150 seems the best deal if you want coverage...

Stevoid
1st April 2010, 09:06 PM
Hmmm, 150 bucks for 6 months seems quite reasonable. They bloody well better have a micro-SIM or at least let a cut down regular SIM work. I hope they don't release over-priced versions of the plan 'just for the iPad'

Fingers crossed :-)

Stez
1st April 2010, 09:32 PM
Telstra Pre-paid - 4GB, 180 day expiry, $150 seems the best deal if you want coverage...

Is this confirmed? Would like something more on a monthly basis and 4Gb might be just a bit to little for me.

gehenna
1st April 2010, 09:33 PM
there are literally dozens of prepaid and postpaid options from all the carriers in australia, you aren't limited to "official" ipad plans, you can go whatever route you like. just check out the carrier websites for info.

samuelowens
1st April 2010, 09:48 PM
Is this confirmed? Would like something more on a monthly basis and 4Gb might be just a bit to little for me.

Pre-Paid Wireless Broadband - Rates - Telstra (http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond_internet/rates.html)

Think of it as $25 per month for 667MB, and of course, you can recharge as you need to...

imacattack
1st April 2010, 09:50 PM
I think we will see the same plans we get offered with iPhone's & mobile broadband plans just that you will have iPad payment's on top.

I thought we would be seeing one or two carriers by now with iPad & plans by now as we saw with the iPhones when they were coming out.

6andy6
2nd April 2010, 08:13 AM
I think we will see the same plans we get offered with iPhone's & mobile broadband plans just that you will have iPad payment's on top.

I thought we would be seeing one or two carriers by now with iPad & plans by now as we saw with the iPhones when they were coming out.

Why what makes your really say that - I thought (unless my memory was playing tricks) that most of the carriers didnt release pricing until the week or days before - not 4 weeks before. Nothing surprising here...

iphonedev
2nd April 2010, 11:31 AM
**Sorry responded to the wrong thread

jesse
3rd April 2010, 09:21 AM

Late april is in the next 4 weeks; I'm surprised we haven't even got wind of the Australian pricing so far. I assume there will be some release from Apple in the next 7-14 days and then the telcos will release their own deals.

*waits*

Stez
3rd April 2010, 10:15 AM
Can we still buy the iPad 3G's separately here? Is that the only option or may we be seeing plans for 12/24 months?

gehenna
3rd April 2010, 10:35 AM
Can we still buy the iPad 3G's separately here? Is that the only option or may we be seeing plans for 12/24 months?

You can buy prepay or postpay. The ipad is unlocked so you can do whatever you want.

Stez
3rd April 2010, 10:43 AM
You can buy prepay or postpay. The ipad is unlocked so you can do whatever you want.

Awesome. Now to decide which way to go. I'm thinking since I won't be using it only for when I'm away for long periods of time, more for in the car and stuff like that. Postpaid would be better.

ozerus
3rd April 2010, 10:48 AM
Awesome. Now to decide which way to go. I'm thinking since I won't be using it only for when I'm away for long periods of time, more for in the car and stuff like that. Postpaid would be better.

I'd stay away from optus, Optus 3G is closely related to shit

Stez
3rd April 2010, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I'm totally new to all this 3G stuff. I think for the best speed/coverage I should go Telstra, right?

ozerus
3rd April 2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm totally new to all this 3G stuff. I think for the best speed/coverage I should go Telstra, right?

I would love to be totally unbiased however, I can't really, but yes, in my experience telstra with there incredibly high pricing, terrible contracts and just as bad service support have the best 3G speeds I've ever experienced in Australia, Optus before the iPhone was okay, 3 was spotty but when you had a connection it was good, vodaphone was questionable for me (I believe they run on the optus network)

Telstra was simply the best 3G I'd ever found, I go back and forth between Sydney and Brisbane a couple of times a year, I do the drive and along the entire trip I had a 3G connection that was fast and stable (shockingly)

Unfortunately, prices are terrible, but you really are getting what you pay for in this instance!

Stez
3rd April 2010, 04:06 PM
I have Telstra internet at the highest ADSL2+ speeds available and I agree they are overpriced but I guess if you want the best you have to pay the best.

bitingmammal
3rd April 2010, 04:54 PM
vodaphone was questionable for me (I believe they run on the optus network)

Vodafone have their own network. They are not related to Optus at all.

ozerus
3rd April 2010, 05:16 PM

Oh I stand corrected, I thought they were.

Stez
3rd April 2010, 05:17 PM
If I decided not to go Telstra, who should I look at next?

matthewk
3rd April 2010, 07:11 PM
If I decided not to go Telstra, who should I look at next?

Just wait until local pricing is announced. There is likely to be new plans released to capitalise on the iPad excitement here. Just like there were iPhone plans.

Darwiniandude
3rd April 2010, 11:19 PM
Look at the coverage information for your area for Telstra, Vodafone & Optus.
Optus was the cheapest for iPhone on launch by far, so everyone went with Optus, so the network tanked. However, mostly it's good for me here in Adelaide. If I can get 3G, it's often ~2mb down.

Voda has their own network, Virgin uses Optus.

I'm thinking as I know how Optus is, I'll get pre-paid just a small bit of data on Vodafone and try it at home, work, parents place etc. See how it goes for a month. Then if it's unsuitable I'll go either Optus if Voda is worse (doubtful) if I'm trying to save money or go Telstra. Prepaid is good because I can just buy data when I need it. I'm normally on WiFi anyway.

So yeah, I'll buy a month of Voda, a month of Telstra and based on experiences in my area I'll then buy the ~$150 6-12 months option.

Voda has a ~$150 10GB 365 day expiry thing off the top of my head.... don't they?

BTW... Telstra really, really sounds like a car...

drzeus
4th April 2010, 07:55 AM
Guys, I don't know about you but personally the 3G access for the iPad for me (and I'm guessing a lot of people based on how well the Wifi Only version seems to have flown off the shelves) is there to be used for only when not in WiFi range. Thus I'll be looking for a plan with a $0/mth or close to and cheap PAYG rates. The only people offering such plans are a few Optus network resellers. While I would prefer not to use Optus, I'm hoping use in the metro areas should hopefully be ok.

Unlike the iPhone that people do take and depend on everywhere, I don't think most people need coverage in the middle of nowhere....let's face it, you won't be taking the iPad into the bush too often, although with the iPhone being your phone you do.

jesse
4th April 2010, 10:17 AM
I have Telstra prepaid on my iPhone and it's awesome. I have a 3 Mobile Broadband dongle for my macbook pro and in Melbourne it's not too shabby.

If 3 come out with a pre-paid micro sim option for the iPad then I will jump on that straight away, they have the least coverage - but where they have coverage they're good and have the best data rates you can get.

*waits*

jared79
4th April 2010, 04:07 PM
Actually Vodafone and Optus share their 3G networks. They built it together. So their 3G is Optus' 3G.

retroneo
4th April 2010, 04:41 PM

No.

Their 2100MHz Metro RAN uses the same antennas and feeders, and many sites use a NSN MO-RAN single base station. Their 2100MHz metro coverage should be identical. This was the first network to use NSN's multi-operator RAN in the world. They both own 50% of the infrastructure.

Vodafone has their own regional Ericsson 3G network, and their own 2G network.

Optus has their own regional Huawei 3G network too.

Actually Vodafone and Optus share their 3G networks. They built it together. So their 3G is Optus' 3G.

Only in the metro areas.

adrianlloyd
4th April 2010, 08:20 PM
Thus I'll be looking for a plan with a $0/mth or close to and cheap PAYG rates.

That's what I have from Exetel and it is great - $0/month (because my SIM is also voice-enabled) with $15/GB for what I actually use (charged by kb I think).

I sometimes use it in my iPhone (when I'm in roaming and don't want to pay 3's roaming data rates) but more often in an Huawei E5832 Wireless Modem (bought on Virgin Pre-Paid and then unlocked).

Those Huawei wireless modems (or the more expensive Novatel MiFi available from Internode) are actually an alternative to buying a 3G iPad and separate iPad plan - especially if you have multiple devices you want to share a connection with.

The other big advantage is that if you are in a borderline area you can move the modem to a better spot reception-wise and still have your laptop/iphone/iPad in a reasonable spot to work. eg when I was on holidays on the mid-north NSW coast in Jan the only place I could get reception was in the window in the toilet. I could put the Huawei in the window and get broadband all through the house. Of course if I had had Telstra maybe I wouldn't have needed to do that :)

Personally I'm debating whether t0 get the 3G iPad or not. The Huawei will get me most of functionality but the GPS and the ease of getting affordable wireless on US-trips (once a year or so for work) have me undecided...

TieNN89
5th April 2010, 09:46 AM

Depends on where you are really
The speed and coverage isn't too bad where I am (Brisbane)
That was using Virgins which is owned and run on the Optus network anyway