PDA

View Full Version : iPad on ABC's Modern Family

OziMac
1st April 2010, 01:36 PM
I don't know if anyone has been watching this show (it's awesome), but last night's episode of Modern Family in the US heavily featured the iPad.

iPad the star of Modern Family (http://www.tuaw.com/2010/03/31/ipad-the-star-of-modern-family/)

A few choice quotes (Spoilers):

Phil: The iPad comes out on my actual birthday. It's like Steve Jobs and God got together to say "We love you Phil!"

Claire: (After falling asleep and missing out on getting one) They're going to get more in next week.
Phil: Next week? That's like the worst thing you could ever say to an early adopter!

Phiil: (After finally getting one and blowing out the 'candles' on the Cake app) It did not just do that! Oh, who's ready for the first day of the rest of their lives?

It's funny, because even though the show is made for ABC/Disney, who are obviously very Apple-friendly thanks to their largest shareholder, until now all of the iMacs / MacBooks on the show have had their logos 'discreetly' taped/stickered over (which probably only makes them more apparent). This is the first time they've explicitly acknowledged the product placement, so it seems they've done it in a pretty cool way. But jeez, they must have written and produced this episodes straight off the cuff in order to get it done in the two months between its announcement and release.

In any case, definitely worth checking out when it becomes available. :)

asgr8
1st April 2010, 01:48 PM
need to go home and download it :D

bacco007
3rd April 2010, 09:22 AM
I'll blame the OP for watching all 19 episodes of Modern Family yesterday - its fantastic

MrJesseRoss
3rd April 2010, 09:55 AM
It is a brilliant show. I will say though, the iPad episode felt more like an extended OMG IPAD advert than a sitcom. I know it played into Phil's character to get so excited over a new toy (he does dream of owning his own robot), but it was too heavy on the iPad for my liking.

OziMac
3rd April 2010, 10:44 AM
I'll happily shoulder the blame for that bacco - check out Community and Parks & Recreation while you're at it. :)

Have to disagree with you HGHG - I can't stomach product placement in the background or when it breaks the fourth wall and explicitly shoves it down your throat. I thought they made this a part of the story in a fun, totally believable way. As much as you can be caught up in Phil's excitement, you can just as easily dismiss it as the rantings of a crazy fanboi (which would not be entirely unfair). I reckon that's much better than 'Bee Movie, out December 1' or 'I love Snapple, can we have our money now?' :)

bacco007
3rd April 2010, 10:49 AM
I enjoyed the first season of P&R, but not so much the start of the second. Community is fantastic though!

cosmichobo
3rd April 2010, 11:36 AM
(he does dream of owning his own robot)

Needs to build is own...

9GTQM5Bq5DA

gehenna
3rd April 2010, 11:45 AM
OMG METAL MICKEY?!?!? I always thought I dreamed Metal Mickey!!! LOL