PDA

View Full Version : iPad in Australia - April 24th?

tcn33
1st April 2010, 07:18 AM
Like us in Australia, Canadian iPad enthusiasts have been told they'll be waiting until "late April" to get their hands on the new device. Now comes word that Canadian Apple Store employees have been told that the weekend of April 24th is a "blackout date" for leave - i.e it's all hands on deck.

Since we were given the same promised availability date, a simultaneous launch here seems logical. We'll have to see if any anonymous Apple employees are willing to confirm whether there's a similar blackout date here...

iPad Launch Date in Canada: April 24th? | iPad in Canada - Canada's iPad Blog (http://www.ipadincanada.ca/ipad-news/ipad-launch-date-in-canada-april-24th/)

carlow1
1st April 2010, 07:35 AM
Interesting. That's the Anzac Day long weekend. If you order online will it be delivered on a Saturday? If not will we have to wait until the Tuesday as the Monday is a public holiday. :o

mac_man_luke
1st April 2010, 07:54 AM
Id say not a chance of delivery - saturday delivery is not common at all here unlike the US

tcn33
1st April 2010, 08:04 AM
Id say not a chance of delivery - saturday delivery is not common at all here unlike the US

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/31/67670-did-your-optus-online-order-arrived-saturday.html

TheKeddi
1st April 2010, 08:08 AM
I have always had Saturday delivery with Apple, even here in the country!

Ecto1
1st April 2010, 08:39 AM
I doubt Saturday would stop Apple from delivering ordered iPad's. Though I much rather go in store and buy.

carlow1
1st April 2010, 09:14 AM
I just called TNT and they said they do not deliver on Saturdays. Being in Adelaide with no Apple Store, I always order online with delivery from TNT. :o

vecsty
1st April 2010, 10:55 AM
April the 23rd

KiwiMike
1st April 2010, 12:21 PM
2 days, 11 hours, 26 minutes until the iPad officially launches, mine is on route from China (order #W68813750) via US then Brisbane touch done around 9th April yeah ;)

iPad case to follow :o

Jaste
1st April 2010, 01:03 PM
2 days, 11 hours, 26 minutes until the iPad officially launches, mine is on route from China (order #W68813750) via US then Brisbane touch done around 9th April yeah ;)

iPad case to follow :o

You didn't suffer a cancellation as mentioned in this post: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/81976-fat-kid-st-albans-going-new-york-ipad-13.html#post949223

KiwiMike
3rd April 2010, 05:17 PM
So far no cancellation ;)

Just got iPad UPS import scan from China now in Louisville KY on the way to Utah then Brisbane ...

Interestingly the Apple iPad case that was initially delayed until mid April is now being shipped via FedEX for delivery on or before 7th in Utah :D

TheKeddi
3rd April 2010, 05:22 PM
I wonder why they said no to Saturday delivery? When I lived in Adelaide I would often get stuff on a Saturday and the same now I am in the country,

Funny that they said no?

gamblor
4th April 2010, 10:14 AM
Strange - I've had one Saturday delivery from Apple before. I ordered an optional Front Row remote with a Macbook. The Macbook arrived Friday without the remote, I called to complain, got a new one shipped out straight away and it arrived next day, from TNT.

At the time, the delivery guy said they do Saturday if a premium is paid.

UPDATE: TNT Express - Sameday Nationwide Delivery (http://www.tnt.com/express/en_au/site/home/services/express_delivery_services/sameday_nationwide.html)

DJY
4th April 2010, 01:12 PM
Just as long as it stays "in April" for an Aust release!
I"m heading overseas Mon 12th - and not home until 30th!

Ideally I want to order it online... have ti sent to work... so that I can head into work on the Sat to pick up my already delivered new iPad!!!
I'm getting itchy feet wanting one!
At least me being away hopefully will distract me.

kyte
5th April 2010, 02:34 PM
If you order something like this online, do you get it ahead of those in the shops or do you have to wait sometimes if they don't have enough stock to meet demand. I guess what I am asking is where the priority lies, where Apple is concerned... live people or online...

TheKeddi
5th April 2010, 03:56 PM
If you order it online you get it the day they say you will, they don't make you wait and send your iPad to the shops,

So yeah Ordering online is usually good if you can't get to a store,

Everyone in America that preordered theirs online had them delivered the same day as they came out in the shops.

Quasar
5th April 2010, 04:49 PM
One does wonder what the hell they are doing sill sitting on a date and price. Strikes me as rather odd how quiet Apple Australia is assuming it is actually getting an April release.

MightyAtom
5th April 2010, 04:54 PM
One does wonder what the hell they are doing sill sitting on a date and price. Strikes me as rather odd how quiet Apple Australia is assuming it is actually getting an April release.
No international region has announced pricing. Exchange rates are too volatile, they'll set the price when it goes on sale.

OziMac
5th April 2010, 06:00 PM
No international region has announced pricing. Exchange rates are too volatile, they'll set the price when it goes on sale.

The irony is if they'd have set the rates in February just after the announcement, they would have reaped almost 10 per cent better than where things appear likely to be at around the expected time of release.

Sometimes these things bite back.

mrbrut
5th April 2010, 08:52 PM
With the launch done and dusted in the US hopefully we'll get info an AUS launch sooner than later.
I'm more than happy to part with my cash immediately!

kyte
6th April 2010, 05:10 AM
If you order it online you get it the day they say you will, they don't make you wait and send your iPad to the shops,

So yeah Ordering online is usually good if you can't get to a store,

Everyone in America that preordered theirs online had them delivered the same day as they came out in the shops.

Excellent, thanks for that info. I think that's what I will do rather than wait for a local delivery of stock. (Glances at the CC she swore to pay off and cut into small pieces)

Fedgrub
6th April 2010, 11:18 AM
I heard that Australian Apple store employees are under the same blackout period that the Canadian employees are under. So heres hoping.

Devil rolla
6th April 2010, 12:10 PM
likely they will announce it on the 8th ( iphone os4 day ) ?

seaQuest_AMD
6th April 2010, 02:09 PM
I have also heard from a good source that the 24/25 weekend in April they go on sale in Australia.

Apparently demo stocks have arrived for training.

chrissara
6th April 2010, 02:11 PM
Yup - confirmed by my source as well. No guarantees (Apple could have pulled out a furfy!), but he has stated this date as well.

Edit: Didn't state when pre-orders would be.

MissionMan
6th April 2010, 02:21 PM
Any idea when the 3G version gets launched or haven't they given a date for that?

Ecto1
6th April 2010, 02:28 PM
I thought the 24th includes both wifi and 3G models.

jack112006
6th April 2010, 02:35 PM
I have heard from very, very reliable sources that know their stuff that the Australian stock of iPads begins to hit Australia today. I have also heard that the 24th is the day for all models - 3G and Wi-Fi. Apparently education and large corporate customers will be getting their iPads a lot earlier than the 24th - some event this week.

OKIadmitit
6th April 2010, 02:39 PM
Do these reliable sources have any word on prices?

gehenna
6th April 2010, 02:41 PM
Meh, it's all wank until I see it in on the Apple website.

yinyang
6th April 2010, 03:02 PM

I heard from people that are well informed who heard from a brother in law who was in a bar who knew some off Facebook who was there in the same toilet when he overheard this top bloke who was at the Apple Store when Steve Jobs wrote down on a beer coaster that all Mactalk members from Queensland (only) would get a free iPad 3G 64Gb.....!! :cool:

Lutze
6th April 2010, 03:06 PM
I heard from people that are well informed who heard from a brother in law who was in a bar who knew some off Facebook who was there in the same toilet when he overheard this top bloke who was at the Apple Store when Steve Jobs wrote down on a beer coaster that all Mactalk members from Queensland (only) would get a free iPad 3G 64Gb.....!! :cool:

I heard that as well... but that they were being evil and not including the SIM tray removal tool in the pack - the evil cunning bastards!

MissionMan
6th April 2010, 03:46 PM
I heard that as well... but that they were being evil and not including the SIM tray removal tool in the pack - the evil cunning bastards!

Duh, you hit it with a baseball bat and you can get the sim out easily. How dumb are you guys bitching about that. See, these guys could do it:

YouTube outrage as thousands watch brand new iPad getting smashed by a baseball bat | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/technology/youtube-outrage-as-thousands-watch-brand-new-ipad-getting-smashed-by-a-baseball-bat/story-e6frfro0-1225850143694)

Lutze
6th April 2010, 03:48 PM
Duh, you hit it with a baseball bat and you can get the sim out easily. How dumb are you guys bitching about that. See, these guys could do it:

YouTube outrage as thousands watch brand new iPad getting smashed by a baseball bat | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/technology/youtube-outrage-as-thousands-watch-brand-new-ipad-getting-smashed-by-a-baseball-bat/story-e6frfro0-1225850143694)

The sad bit is that his one was wifi only... that's why he had to use that method!

MissionMan
6th April 2010, 04:28 PM
Yeah, that might explain why he didn't get a sim removal tool

jesse
6th April 2010, 05:47 PM

Hurry

up

already :angry:

LithgowLights
6th April 2010, 08:27 PM
I have also heard from a good source that the 24/25 weekend in April they go on sale in Australia.

Hmmm, I finish at 7am on Saturday. I could be at the Sydney store by 10am...... Yeah why not :)

OziMac
6th April 2010, 08:32 PM
What is it with Apple and public holidays - don't they know people make plans in advance? :footinmouth:

Having said that, I'll happily take a Friday 23 April launch. ;)

jesse
6th April 2010, 11:29 PM
What is it with Apple and public holidays - don't they know people make plans in advance? :footinmouth:

What are you doing having plans on weekends between now and potential iPad launches! You should know better than that!

plan nothing!

LithgowLights
7th April 2010, 01:15 AM

Yep I could be at the store at 6am on Friday and still be back in time for work that night :)

Fedgrub
7th April 2010, 08:45 AM
What day do they normally release things? A Monday or a Friday?

aswitcher
7th April 2010, 08:48 AM
Probably announced one evening...should have been last night.

Then release will probably be a Saturday.

Fedgrub
7th April 2010, 08:57 AM

Thats good, at least I won't have to take a day off to pick it up and use it all day lol

OziMac
7th April 2010, 09:55 AM

Why do you say that?

No Apple international release has ever been on a weekend - the US iPad release may have been to take advantage of the Easter weekend, or US-specific shipping/stock issues. And possibly exploit the hype to the maximum, given they won't have that chance at the secondary launches.

Historically, all major simultaneous international releases (mainly iPhones) have been on a Friday. In addition, there may be additional issues / costs to consider when arranging worldwide deliveries (not just here) of preorders on a Saturday (again, preorder delivery / international launches of Mac OS X has always occurred on a Friday, all the way back to 10.2 Jaguar).

Of course, I'd personally rather it be a Friday, but nothing other than the day of the US release suggests it would be a Saturday. :)

NORMANDY
7th April 2010, 09:58 AM
do we even have a price yet??.. seem to be leaving the price announcement right to the last second...

Nisstrust
7th April 2010, 10:22 AM
Someone was saying that apple australia would be updating their website with pre-order options and pricing by the 8th April, can anyone verify this?

Rust
7th April 2010, 10:51 AM
I dont think anyone can really verify anything. We just have to wait...Hate it i know :)

mitty
7th April 2010, 11:26 AM
^Don't stress guys. With every day our dollar is getting better and better against the USD which hopefully is good for us :)

Stevoid
7th April 2010, 11:39 AM
^Don't stress guys. With every day our dollar is getting better and better against the USD which hopefully is good for us :)

You and I both know Apple Australia will NOT take this into account. I'm not even going to pretend its going to be a fair price so that way I won't be disappointed.

Still gonna get a 3G model thou :P I hope they release the 3G model at the same time as the WIFI model!

MissionMan
7th April 2010, 12:00 PM
You and I both know Apple Australia will NOT take this into account. I'm not even going to pretend its going to be a fair price so that way I won't be disappointed.

Still gonna get a 3G model thou :P I hope they release the 3G model at the same time as the WIFI model!

I'll probably do the same. I don't see the point of the wifi only model so the 3G model will be the one I go for.

I have a express card 3G modem so I'm going to have to find a way to make an adapter so I can switch between them for tethering or if I can hack it, I may consider going that route with tethering.

PCKid
7th April 2010, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=MissionMan;951331]I'll probably do the same. I don't see the point of the wifi only model so the 3G model will be the one I go for.

I agree. Especially in the West where there is almost nil WiFi Hotspots apart from some Macaas (never go there) and I believe the inner city (never go there if I can help it either). If you're going to spend all that money spend the extra and get the 3G. At least you won't be sitting somewhere going... Gee I wish I'd got the 3G version now. :0(

Hmm how do you get the nifty grey quote box on the other posts? Mine I see has just taken the quote text.

bartron
7th April 2010, 12:28 PM
Hmm how do you get the nifty grey quote box on the other posts? Mine I see has just taken the quote text.

you're missing the [/quote] tag at the end of missionmans quote

Stevoid
7th April 2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah it's pretty annoying how few wifi hotspots there are in Perth, and I, like you, try to avoid the city as much as possible!

Thankfully I figured out how to get the work wifi (an odd PEAP config, any DETWA person will understand) working on my iPhone, so I know the ipad will work on it :-)

Bring on the RDP client apps!!!

Julius
7th April 2010, 01:24 PM
Aside from the roaming aspect, without 3G you also dont get true GPS. It can only do the approximate GPS like the old iPhone.

If you don't get the GPS model (and are looking at this forum, then you are certainly an Apple fan) I foresee disappointment on your horizon!

Quasar
7th April 2010, 01:31 PM

I do wonder how awful the 3G plans will be. We certainly won't be seeing Unlimited for any amount, let alone US$30.

Stevoid
7th April 2010, 01:35 PM
I do wonder how awful the 3G plans will be. We certainly won't be seeing Unlimited for any amount, let alone US$30.

I'm going to look at the Telstra Pre-paid wireless broadband if it works. The $150 (I think?) that lasts 180 days sounds good to me!

OziMac
7th April 2010, 01:41 PM
I suspect the problem with the 3G deals is not going to be the plans per se but whether or not our local carriers have started implementing Micro SIMs - otherwise you could just get whatever plans are currently available for a prepaid phone / data and swap out the SIMs. This was a bit of a d!ck move by Apple and AT&T, and may negatively impact on the speed of international 3G iPad uptake.

Having said that, here's hoping that our local telcos, useless though they are, are smart enough to see the dollar signs and get in on it sooner rather than later.

MissionMan
7th April 2010, 01:42 PM
I'm going to look at the Telstra Pre-paid wireless broadband if it works. The $150 (I think?) that lasts 180 days sounds good to me!

Telstra offer 50% off if you take a 2 year contract so the 2GB/month (I think) goes for about $30 or $15/month for the first year. Probably worth looking at for something like the iPad.

MissionMan
7th April 2010, 01:43 PM
I suspect the problem with the 3G deals is not the plans per se going to be whether or not our local carriers have started implementing Micro SIMs - otherwise you could just get whatever plans are currently available for a prepaid phone / data and swap out the SIMs. This was a bit of a d!ck move by Apple and AT&T, and may negatively impact on the speed of international 3G iPad uptake.

Having said that, here's hoping that our local telcos, useless though they are, are smart enough to see the dollar signs and get in on it sooner rather than later.

You can cut down an existing sim to a microsim size. I've checked into it so it won't be an issue.

OziMac
7th April 2010, 01:44 PM
You can cut down an existing sim to a microsim size. I've checked into it so it won't be an issue.

Good to hear - if you don't mind me asking, how do you do it? Is it literally shaving down the plastic around the chip?

MissionMan
7th April 2010, 02:00 PM
Good to hear - if you don't mind me asking, how do you do it? Is it literally shaving down the plastic around the chip?

Some guys have done it with a laser cut but you could trim it with scissors if you have the template.

Here are some articles

Cut Down Your Normal SIM, Make it an iPad Micro SIM… for Real? | Tablet News (http://tablet-news.com/2010/03/09/cut-down-your-normal-sim-make-it-an-ipad-micro-sim-for-real/)

How to make your own iPad micro SIM | Touch User Guide for Apple iPad (http://www.touchuserguide.com/apple/ipad/2010/04/05/how-to-make-your-own-ipad-micro-sim/)

Here is the template of the size comparisons

http://iforce.co.nz/i/iwqau41b.jpg

mitty
7th April 2010, 02:23 PM
People may have done it, but since nobody has a 3G ipad yet, how do they know it even works??? Will be interesting to see what happens come launch day. I'd imagine all fo the carriers will magically have the SIMS available, they'd be nuts not to, even if they aren't actually going to carry the ipad itself.

MissionMan
7th April 2010, 02:48 PM
I agree, it would be naive to assume the telcoms aren't planning this given the 200,000 sold in the states on the first day.

LithgowLights
7th April 2010, 03:08 PM
We should run a poll here on sales for the first day in Australia. Winner wins a free copy of some free app in the iPad appstore ;)

MissionMan
7th April 2010, 03:09 PM
They should win an ipad :p

mitty
7th April 2010, 03:18 PM
It will be interesting to see if sales in Oz mirror those in the US by percentage (assuming the figures are available).

How long prior to launch day were you able to pre-order in the US?

carlow1
7th April 2010, 03:46 PM
How long prior to launch day were you able to pre-order in the US?

March 12th I think the went on pre-order in the US. So that's about 3 weeks.

mitty
7th April 2010, 04:30 PM
Meaning that if they were doing things the same way here, it should already be pre-orderable if the launch date is the 24th. So either it's not the 24th, or they're not goign to take pre-orders, or they still don't want to commit to a price (yet).

tom5955
7th April 2010, 04:44 PM
When it comes out, i'll probably be reserving one so I can pick it up, but was wondering if a reservation is committing to buying it? I don't have enough money for the one I want yet, but still want to reserve it because i most likely will when it comes out, but then I might try it before i buy it and not like it or realise i really don't need it.

gehenna
7th April 2010, 04:45 PM
When it comes out, i'll probably be reserving one so I can pick it up, but was wondering if a reservation is committing to buying it? I don't have enough money for the one I want yet, but still want to reserve it because i most likely will when it comes out, but then I might try it before i buy it and not like it or realise i really don't need it.

Nope, a reservation is a reservation. If you don't show up you lose it to the next person.

tom5955
7th April 2010, 05:14 PM
Nope, a reservation is a reservation. If you don't show up you lose it to the next person.

great. thanks

wolfie
7th April 2010, 06:23 PM
i got a feeling announcements for pre order or for sale will be made friday monring at the iphone 0s4 preview.

Julius
7th April 2010, 07:04 PM
i got a feeling announcements for pre order or for sale will be made friday monring at the iphone 0s4 preview.

I think you are right. It will be the one date for all other regions (give or take a day or two).

With all the sites covering, reviewing and tearing the iPad apart, i just hope I don't get iPad exhaustion before it arrives...

yagankiely
7th April 2010, 07:07 PM
What does a iPhone OS dev announcement have to do with international iPad releases?

Jinkst
7th April 2010, 07:22 PM
What does a iPhone OS dev announcement have to do with international iPad releases?

Not much, but it is an event that lots of Apple fans around the world will be watching. So it would be the easiest way of getting it out there other than simply changing their websites to show the details.

I think it seems logical that they would announce it at the event on Friday morn Aus time.

yagankiely
7th April 2010, 07:24 PM
Seems a bit left-field for me but, we'll see in, oh two days, I guess I can wait. :P.

Ecto1
7th April 2010, 08:05 PM

The fact that it's running on iPhone OS. Maybe Apple want to get 4.0 out there before it goes world wide.

yagankiely
7th April 2010, 09:19 PM
Well, I understand it's obvious connection to the iPad, but not the iPad's international release. The original iPad keynote barely mentioned an international country.

DJY
7th April 2010, 09:49 PM

Maybe rather than the pre order announcement - and definitely not any details (eg prices)... but maybe release date for the nine countries announced as a throw away line after talking about it and showing it off...

they could just throw the line of "yes it will be on the iPads that are available in nine new countries on 30 April".

ok so maybe I'm dreaming about the timeline / release of iPhone 4.0 - but I think they could as least tell us when the iPad will be available outside the USA!

jack112006
8th April 2010, 03:33 PM
I have just been doing a bit of light reading, and I have discovered something quite worrying. http://www.apple.com/au/pr/library/2010/03/05ipad.html (Apple's latest Australian PR release about the iPad) claims that pricing will be announced at the time of availability. This could mean that there will be no pre-orders, no reservations, and worst of all, we may be kept in the dark about pricing until April 24 (if that is the date).

Cybix
8th April 2010, 03:41 PM
I have just been doing a bit of light reading, and I have discovered something quite worrying. http://www.apple.com/au/pr/library/2010/03/05ipad.html (Apple's latest Australian PR release about the iPad) claims that pricing will be announced at the time of availability. This could mean that there will be no pre-orders, no reservations, and worst of all, we may be kept in the dark about pricing until April 24 (if that is the date).

If the pricing is higher than what you expected, will you still buy one?

jack112006
8th April 2010, 05:31 PM
If the pricing is higher than what you expected, will you still buy one?

$649 for 16GB is the max I will spend. Any higher than that and I can wait a little longer.

darksplat
8th April 2010, 05:39 PM
Apple will need to be careful in Aust as I plan to get the 64GB+3G model and and will not pay any more than $930-950 if it is higher than this I will just get a macbook instead. One thing I would like to see is a lower price for the iPhone they are making a killing with those prices and need to come down at least $250-300 for those products, just no need for them to be that high for a phone.

Fedgrub
8th April 2010, 06:11 PM
I dont think they will not announce a release date, they would lose so much potential hype.

aswitcher
8th April 2010, 06:16 PM
I am sure they will announce. They always have before for anything but minor stuff.

I am sure they will allow preorders so they can better distribute their stock and control the potential chaos.

My guess is that they will also allow in store and mail outs, the former something that seems to have worked well in the US.

I am hoping something will appear this week still. I figure there might be a surprise or two for the 3G model that will get talked about in a few hours for the iPhone 4.0 stuff.

DJY
8th April 2010, 06:30 PM

I think you might be misreading part of it...
sure there could be no pre-orders (most probably in my opinion)
in which case no reservations...

but we won't be kept in the dark until Apr 24 (if that is the date you are suggesting could be the release date)... we will be in the dark until they announce when it will be available. It is then that they will announce pricing. Let's hope in a few hours with the iPhone 4.0 sneak peak - they announce the date if will be available internationally... then at the same time Apple website updated in all nine countries with the respective prices.

"iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models will be available in Australia in late April. Pricing will be announced at the time of availability"

Fedgrub
9th April 2010, 06:32 AM
Well, no announcement. This is really starting to frustrate me.

drzeus
9th April 2010, 07:21 AM
Apple will need to be careful in Aust as I plan to get the 64GB+3G model and and will not pay any more than $930-950 if it is higher than this I will just get a macbook instead.

I really doubt that the top of the line iPad will be under $1000 here. The wifi only base model is likely to be around $650-700 by the time you factor in currency conversion protection, GST (not included in the US499), and Apple Australia 20% tax for being the arse end of the world.

scar68
9th April 2010, 07:52 AM
Well, no announcement. This is really starting to frustrate me.

So agree. Given there is only about 3 weeks left in April some sort of date/ pre-order is well due.

Can't help thinking it has more to do with our incompetent telcos than with Apple. I would think Apple want as long a pre-order time as possible to get as many sales as possible.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Lutze
9th April 2010, 08:23 AM
So agree. Given there is only about 3 weeks left in April some sort of date/ pre-order is well due.

Can't help thinking it has more to do with our incompetent telcos than with Apple. I would think Apple want as long a pre-order time as possible to get as many sales as possible.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I really don't care.. I think that Apple might have something up it's sleeve with pricing that they think might make a splash in the press so they get second wind publicity for free.

Fedgrub
9th April 2010, 08:33 AM

GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Then again, Jobs did say that they were still on track for an late April release in the Q&A time. So there goes the rumours of a delay in release.

Quasar
9th April 2010, 12:38 PM
$649 for 16GB is the max I will spend. Any higher than that and I can wait a little longer.

Yeah. That's where I'm standing too. Any more and I'll be probably waiting for 2G or a competitor that catches my fancy.

MissionMan
9th April 2010, 01:17 PM
Out of interest sake, for those who are worried about the microsim to sim adapter, it seems that these guys have one already:

Is Is there a need for a approved micro-SIM-adapter (3ff-adapter)? - Mac-Forums.com (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/iphone-hardware-accessories/196445-there-need-approved-micro-sim-adapter-3ff-adapter.html)

The company that has designed it is Cairon Group - Solutions Worldwide (http://www.cairon.com)

time4magik
9th April 2010, 09:35 PM
one thing is for sure, we will see the price and be able to pre- order in the next 9 days! trust me

emaillachlan@yahoo.com.au

Fedgrub
9th April 2010, 10:06 PM
Why is that?

Stez
9th April 2010, 11:15 PM
Jobs did say that they are on track for late April launch though so fingers crossed for finding out soon! Apparently MBP refresh on the 13th so let's hope they drop an international date then aswell!

yagankiely
9th April 2010, 11:32 PM
1) It's not a magical price at >AU$1000
2) The obvious comparison to the low-end MacBook will eat the high-end iPad.

I don't believe they'll do that here.

tom5955
10th April 2010, 12:12 PM
If the 64GB 3G is over $950 then its cheaper to get it sent from the US through shipito.com

Ecto1
10th April 2010, 12:38 PM
Something tells me that the 3G iPad want hit us till June. After all that's when Apple said they will have the deals with telcos worldwide meet. Well June, July. I honestly think we will only get the wifi model on the 24th.

bacco007
10th April 2010, 01:14 PM
I wonder if the exchange rate is delaying setting a price - mind you, I cant see the USD rate getting any higher (although it would be nice)

tom5955
10th April 2010, 01:29 PM
Something tells me that the 3G iPad want hit us till June. After all that's when Apple said they will have the deals with telcos worldwide meet. Well June, July. I honestly think we will only get the wifi model on the 24th.

I think they would have said something by now. And if they are being sold unlocked then deals don't have to be made, although some cheap plans would be nice.

Vaempyr
10th April 2010, 02:15 PM
At the moment, the mircoSIM issue is the only thing holding me back; a WiFi-only model isn't going to be much use to me.

I've seen some posts / guides that say you can cut down a regular USIM, so that's a step in the right direction, but I'm always nervous about doing that kind of thing.

time4magik
10th April 2010, 06:54 PM
yer 24th is it, i have an oportunity to buy an ipad on ebay for $760 hmmmmmm

hangdog
10th April 2010, 08:58 PM
yer 24th is it, i have an oportunity to buy an ipad on ebay for $760 hmmmmmm

Better watch for dodgy sellers. Some are asking a hefty premium for iPads that the small print on the listings shows won't be delivered until or after the Australian on-sale date. Other sellers with zero feedback may well be complete scammers.

DJY
10th April 2010, 09:43 PM
Here is a question for any of our members that did the trek to get one in the States last week. How were you on the net - staying in touch - emailing etc...

I'm hoping to buy an Aussie iPad - day one (hopefully end of April)...
I'm overseas until then anyway - but then head off to the USA:
10-18 May (Florida) and then 5-14 June (New York City).

How were you all connecting to the internet (obviously your iPad was only WiFi) but did you take laptops for emails / iPhones for emails etc etc...
via a local SIM?

I know there are a few tricks to using a local SIM in an iPhone...
but I was thinking of hopefully just getting a microSIM and putting that in my iPad?! No contracts I think and unlimited internet for $30?

So leave my Aussie SIM in my iPhone - (I have turn 3G data OFF when overseas anyway) so I can receive calls on my usual number...
but use Skype (hopefully) and email to keep in touch with everyone via my new 6gGB iPad WiFi + 3G?

WindowsVista
10th April 2010, 09:47 PM
Here is a question for any of our members that did the trek to get one in the States last week. How were you on the net - staying in touch - emailing etc...

I'm hoping to buy an Aussie iPad - day one (hopefully end of April)...
I'm overseas until then anyway - but then head off to the USA:
10-18 May (Florida) and then 5-14 June (New York City).

How were you all connecting to the internet (obviously your iPad was only WiFi) but did you take laptops for emails / iPhones for emails etc etc...
via a local SIM?

I know there are a few tricks to using a local SIM in an iPhone...
but I was thinking of hopefully just getting a microSIM and putting that in my iPad?! No contracts I think and unlimited internet for $30?

So leave my Aussie SIM in my iPhone - (I have turn 3G data OFF when overseas anyway) so I can receive calls on my usual number...
but use Skype (hopefully) and email to keep in touch with everyone via my new 6gGB iPad WiFi + 3G?

Anthony spoke about what he did in podcast 118, or maybe it was 117. Basically, it sounded as if he purchased a prepaid phone and used that sim. All up it costed around $100.

Joey1983
10th April 2010, 09:57 PM
At the moment, the mircoSIM issue is the only thing holding me back; a WiFi-only model isn't going to be much use to me.

I've seen some posts / guides that say you can cut down a regular USIM, so that's a step in the right direction, but I'm always nervous about doing that kind of thing.

I have a feeling we'll be able to buy the 3G models in a few weeks time, with no official data plans / micro sims available till June / July (as per the iPad key note, steve mentions international data plans around this time).

Hoping the "cut down a regular sim to size" thing really works...

msilsby
10th April 2010, 11:16 PM
Am planning on buying an ipad 3G outright (the 64G model) and putting in a dodo sim card. As you have no doubt found out by now, a normal sim card can be 'filed' down to the required shape and size (it just has to fit in the sim card tray, people!).

Dodo have the best pre-paid deal at 15Gb for $139 with the whole 365 day expiry date from date of recharge. This won't be for everyone as the network used is the optus network, but the next best deal is the Vodafone prepaid deal, once again for a 365 day expiry date with 12Gb of data for $150.

Telstra has a prepaid deal as well, however as is the deal with telstra they require not just your first born, but your house, car and any other valuable bits and bots you may have. With Telstra, don't expect to walk away with your gonads. There is free data on all plans, however as I said, you will no longer be working/living for yourself.

It will be interesting to see what the networks provide as a deal over the whole 24 months as they do with the iphone. I am sure both Vodafone and Optus will offer a good deal, with gigs of data each month. Personally, I can't see myself using more than 3Gig of data in a month, even in the worse case scenario, especially as the thing has wifi to boot.

Anyway, my 2c worth!

DJY
11th April 2010, 07:52 AM
Anthony spoke about what he did in podcast 118, or maybe it was 117. Basically, it sounded as if he purchased a prepaid phone and used that sim. All up it costed around $100.

Yes I knew he did the prepaid phone thing...
can't say I'm likely to make lots of phone calls...

which is why I was considering going the iPad only route with AT&T (or whomever offers deals). $30 for a month of unlimited internet on my [future] iPad would give me emails, and even voice Skype won't it?

I gather there is fairly good free WiFi in most major US cities?
I will be in Orlando in May then New York City (hopefully) in June.

As I'm heading overseas (somewhere else) on Monday - don't have any time before hand to buy the USA SIM via ebay and do much before I get there.

Vaempyr
11th April 2010, 12:48 PM
As you have no doubt found out by now, a normal sim card can be 'filed' down to the required shape and size (it just has to fit in the sim card tray, people!).
Sounds great in theory; if it works in practice, even better!

time4magik
11th April 2010, 02:24 PM
i got this guy on ebay telling me that they will not be here by april and we will see them in june/july kinda like the iphone when it came out for australia.
dunno if hes right or hes trying to just sell me his ipad:)
I REALLLY WANT ONE NOW!!!! i find the best thing to do when your waitng for one is to go to blog sites and talk it out with other people

if anyone wants to talk about the ipad plz email me!!

Julius
11th April 2010, 03:25 PM
i got this guy on ebay telling me that they will not be here by april and we will see them in june/july kinda like the iphone when it came out for australia.
dunno if hes right or hes trying to just sell me his ipad:)
I REALLLY WANT ONE NOW!!!! i find the best thing to do when your waitng for one is to go to blog sites and talk it out with other people

if anyone wants to talk about the ipad plz email me!!

He's just saying that to flog his iPad (and actually sounds like a prick to be feeding you such nonsense) . He doesn't have any insights that we don't, and we don't have a date.

LevMac
11th April 2010, 03:53 PM
Why would you believe someone from eBay on a release date when Steve Jobs himself announced that it would be late April for an Australian release ? :confused:

amstrad_mac
11th April 2010, 05:26 PM
No pre-orders or friggin prices are really starting to shit me..

I'm assuming this tues/wed coming will have the macbook pro's refresh and then the pre-order options for the ipads.

Just want to order one already!

MrJesseRoss
11th April 2010, 05:39 PM
Why would you believe someone from eBay on a release date when Steve Jobs himself announced that it would be late April for an Australian release ? :confused:

Because people selling things are always to be trusted. Especially when they're selling things on the internet. They are E-businessmen!

Fedgrub
11th April 2010, 06:36 PM
I'm hearing rumours of the 26th and the 28th. Apparently both are staff blockout dates also.

aswitcher
11th April 2010, 06:44 PM
A Monday release would be annoying. I would much prefer a Friday or weekend release so I can spend time with it.

LithgowLights
11th April 2010, 08:20 PM
Monday would be brilliant, but it is the Anzac day public holiday. I wonder if Apple Australia are playing on the fact it might bring crowds as people wont have to work?

carlow1
11th April 2010, 08:52 PM
Monday would be brilliant, but it is the Anzac day public holiday. I wonder if Apple Australia are playing on the fact it might bring crowds as people wont have to work?

Doubtful they would launch on a public holiday. Would trading on a public holiday be allowed? Also they'd have to pay all their staff double time. What about people who've ordered online? They wouldn't get their iPad's delivered until Tuesday.

I hope it will be Friday 23rd myself. :)

Fedgrub
11th April 2010, 09:02 PM
Doubtful they would launch on a public holiday. Would trading on a public holiday be allowed? Also they'd have to pay all their staff double time. What about people who've ordered online? They wouldn't get their iPad's delivered until Tuesday.

Thats a good point, but I wonder if they would care considering its a worldwide release... From memory we are the only ones who have a public holiday for Anzac Day, right? Wouldnt be fair to have a one day delay for only us, but at the same time, they wouldnt want to pay the double time for full staff on board...

doofus
11th April 2010, 09:05 PM
It would be very very tacky for Apple to release the ipad on Anzac day here in Australia, can't see that happening at all.

nando
11th April 2010, 09:07 PM
i dont my a wifi version as i dont really see my self carrying outside home..(have the iphone for that)! but...really...do u guys think it will attract the kind of crowds it did for the iphone 3g?? the only store close to me is chermside..which is ok...almost like 20 kms from where i live..but..really...would it be as crowded??

Joey1983
11th April 2010, 09:18 PM

Sydney store was open on Easter Monday.

carlow1
11th April 2010, 09:55 PM
Sydney store was open on Easter Monday.

Er right, that throws my theory out the window then.

Stez
11th April 2010, 10:11 PM
Still waiting on a date. I'm downloading apps, giving away my iPod Touch on Youtube, and watching every video there is to watch on the iPad :D

kevinnugent
11th April 2010, 10:37 PM
I can't see it launching on Anzac day. The Saturday after would be my guess.

As far as crowds go, just look at the launch day in the US. It was mad... But nowhere near the iPhone launch madness.

wolfie
11th April 2010, 10:50 PM
how do you download ipad apps on the aus store?

Fedgrub
11th April 2010, 11:03 PM
Just like a normal app dude. There's a section for ipad apps.

kyte
12th April 2010, 05:21 AM
I can't see it launching on Anzac day. The Saturday after would be my guess.

I'm betting they stall the delivery because they are selling out in the US... and the US is more important than anywhere else in the world as we know (wink!), so they will satisfy demand there first.

The pricing should be up by now so those of us wanting to preorder can do so... but its not... and its less than 2 weeks until our theorised release date. I'm hoping for late April as they originally said but I reckon its more likely to be May, now. And, to be honest, the excitement is wearing off.

chrissara
12th April 2010, 06:57 AM
Wait and see until the end of this week.

If nothing is announced then you could start to comment that it will not be released until later.

One of the reasons why Apple may be quite on the issue, is that if the iPad is delayed, it potentially affects their share or stock values. When the CEO says Apple will deliver in late April 2010 and Apple can't, questions are asked. Don't be fooled that USA got theirs first - Apple shares and stock are affected by worldwide markets.

Jinkst
12th April 2010, 07:21 AM
how do you download ipad apps on the aus store?

Just open up the store and do a search for iPad and an iPad apps section will show up in the results.

As for the release, the closer we get to the end of the month with no concrete date and no pricing, the more it looks like it will push into May before it is released.

Having said that, the lack of information on the date and the direct link it's late release will have with Apple's share prices is a valid point. Until they make an announcement, no one is the wiser.

I'm more interested in the pricing than the release date. I wanna know if I've come out on top by buying one from the States early or if I've just shot myself in the foot. Either way what's done is done now and I just want to play with my iPad :)

mitty
12th April 2010, 08:15 AM
Goddamit, a guy at work who's my gadget nemesis got an ipad before me. My only consolation is I got to touch Decryption's before he actually got his.

Damn you Apple, give us some pricing details and a firm date already. DAMN YOU.

chrissara
12th April 2010, 08:52 AM
Reminds me of the drug market - give people a little taste and they are desperate for more. Chill - it will come when it comes, and if you really do need one, pay a slight premium and get one from overseas.

mitty
12th April 2010, 08:54 AM
^LOL nah not gonna do that. It's allegedly only two weeks or so now, I can wait.

alvse
12th April 2010, 12:43 PM
Speculation on which retailers will stock iPad? DJ,Myer, Dick Smith, JB Hi-FI?

Japester
12th April 2010, 01:04 PM
Speculation on which retailers will stock iPad? DJ,Myer, Dick Smith, JB Hi-FI?

I reckon it will be Apple Store (online and physical) for the forseeable future.

alvse
12th April 2010, 01:11 PM
I reckon it will be Apple Store (online and physical) for the forseeable future.

That would suck for cities without an Apple Store :(

Japester
12th April 2010, 01:12 PM
That would suck for cities without an Apple Store :(

Yes, but at least you've got the online store. Might take a day or two but viable.

Japester
12th April 2010, 01:14 PM
I think we're going to wake up on Tue. 27 April to the sight of the iPad available for order on the online Apple Store. Tue. is the usual release day. There will be no fanfare, the ordering will simply go live.

TheKeddi
12th April 2010, 01:38 PM
I am so glad i got mine from the states. There is no way my nerves could handle all this not knowing crap!

nando
12th April 2010, 01:56 PM
whilst walking on Brisbane CBD there was this optus reseller shop that had a print out saying.. "order you ipads here today"!!
weird........... eh?

Cassy
12th April 2010, 01:58 PM
I am so glad i got mine from the states. There is no way my nerves could handle all this not knowing crap!

I wake up every morning hoping its going to be the day :p

i dont know how much longer i can take it!

Fedgrub
12th April 2010, 02:05 PM
whilst walking on Brisbane CBD there was this optus reseller shop that had a print out saying.. "order you ipads here today"!!
weird........... eh?

How long ago was that?

Rust
12th April 2010, 02:06 PM
I wake up every morning hoping its going to be the day :p

i dont know how much longer i can take it!

haha right there with you :)

nando
12th April 2010, 02:27 PM
well just today at lunch at around 1.30 @ 95 Adelaide St Brisbane cbd

Julius
12th April 2010, 02:30 PM
weird........... eh?

It was probably like the 'notify me' button on the Apple site. Put your name down with them and when they (and us) know a date and price they'll emailing you straight away.

Starting to fade.

nando
12th April 2010, 02:43 PM
true..
though also wondering if they want to know if there will be lots of interest.
i mean geeks are very interested bout the iPad but common joh blocks does not really know bout whats an iPad...!?

Fedgrub
12th April 2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah they really should start their TV advertising soon.

nando
12th April 2010, 02:57 PM
this is some news from bigpond... before i save u a click...they say..they still dont know..but at least give a "reason" why apple have not release a date yet Telstra BigPond News and Weather (http://tinyurl.com/y4u2pju)

decryption
12th April 2010, 03:01 PM
this is some news from bigpond... before i save u a click...they say..they still dont know..but at least give a "reason" why apple have not release a date yet Telstra BigPond News and Weather (http://tinyurl.com/y4u2pju)

"However there are a number of programming issues that need to be resolved before the tablet computer can hit Australian shops."

Like what? The article doesn't state them. Making the iBook store available to Australia isn't a "programming" issue - and if it was, Apple have said that they will launch the iPad here without the iBook store, then make it available.

"Around 185,000 of the company's applications will soon carry advertising embedded in their design."

That article is a load of shit.

foovo
12th April 2010, 03:03 PM
Never heard of this as a reliable source of news but posting for what it's worth

Steve Jobs confident that iPad will still go international in late April | Apple iPad news | Pocket Gamer (http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Apple+iPad/news.asp?c=19840)

" No, we said we're launching internationally later in April, and we're launching later in April,"

nando
12th April 2010, 03:16 PM
me thinking that telcos are also awaiting for a date...and so the "news"
but yea.. there are still 2 more mondays and who knows maybe we wont hear anything till next week...

LithgowLights
12th April 2010, 03:21 PM
The later it goes the more chance we will see both a Wifi and 3G version released together... I hope :)

nando
12th April 2010, 03:26 PM
the reality is that it can even come on the 30th of April..so we wont hear anything till next week or even earlier on the 26 of April... surely someone must know 1 week prior to release date.

chrissara
12th April 2010, 03:30 PM
Yes but he didn't say which year....late April 2011....

Rust
12th April 2010, 03:35 PM
Yes but he didn't say which year....late April 2011....

LOL

Fedgrub
12th April 2010, 03:53 PM
I dont think I've ever visited the Apple homepage as many times per day as I have been the last two weeks.

Devil rolla
12th April 2010, 03:56 PM
ditto..and checking my email for a email from apple re the launch..
i have a mate in the US that will send me one, but i can't be bothered, i'd rather just walk into the local and get in here ( shipping isn't my friend )

Fedgrub
12th April 2010, 03:59 PM
i have a mate in the US that will send me one, but i can't be bothered, i'd rather just walk into the local and get in here ( shipping isn't my friend )

Yeah Im with you there... Does Apple have a history of sending out emails to those who clicked notify me when its available as soon as the information is released? Or normally is there a delay?

By the way, I read this theory at another Forum:

That is my guess as well. I'm guessing announcement will come on the 19th with shipments for the 24th. That will keep the first purchasers outside of the 2 week return window for the wi-fi.

Pretty interesting theory anyway. Sounds like an Apple-type move.

LithgowLights
12th April 2010, 04:00 PM

I signed up twice for notification. Once on the email that goes to the iPhone, and once at work (No phone coverage in the building).

LithgowLights
12th April 2010, 04:03 PM
Like what? The article doesn't state them. Making the iBook store available to Australia isn't a "programming" issue - and if it was, Apple have said that they will launch the iPad here without the iBook store, then make it available.

It is to some writers of 1/2 assed newspapers who would say anything to draw attention to their story.

That article is a load of shit.

Yep. Reminds me of the loo after a load of bad curry - full of crap, and possibly more than a few holes in it too :)

kyte
12th April 2010, 05:12 PM
I think we're going to wake up on Tue. 27 April to the sight of the iPad available for order on the online Apple Store. Tue. is the usual release day. There will be no fanfare, the ordering will simply go live.

That would be nice :)

auspad
12th April 2010, 05:27 PM
auspad wants one!!! NOW :o:o:o

LithgowLights
12th April 2010, 06:17 PM
I'd just like the prices to be released now, and maybe a pre-release order or hold system. The iPad can come next week, thats ok :)

nando
12th April 2010, 06:58 PM
well if Europe there is any indication according to Touch user guide they say

No word from Australia or Asis either and now Swisscom’s official explanation published last night really says it all:

We are not certain anymore that Apple will deliver us and we’re waiting for further details

This, added to the complete lack of news on that matter from Apple tells me that the iPad won’t make it to Europe as scheduled, by the end of April.
iPad delays in Europe | Touch User Guide for Apple iPad (http://tinyurl.com/yb6afdv)

Stez
12th April 2010, 07:07 PM
Meh. Steve Jobs said it's on track. I will assume that until late April changes to anything else.

richardisfamous
12th April 2010, 08:39 PM
Does it need to be paired up with a carrier(s) at launch?
Couldn't they just release the 3G model unlocked, no carrier, just as a device and you put whatever sim in there?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jobs say that International 3G Plans will be announced in June....

Plus it states on the Apple Australia website
"3G Data Plans sold seperately" (Apple - iPad - Stay connected everywhere you go. (http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/3g/)) implying that it will be carrier free.

nando
12th April 2010, 09:17 PM
Plus it states on the Apple Australia website
"3G Data Plans sold seperately" (Apple - iPad - Stay connected everywhere you go. (http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/3g/)) implying that it will be carrier free.

i think connected everywhere you go is like the iphone u get internet everywhere u go (if ur with telstra)
dont think they were talking bout carrier free...
but who knows...it might be like a netbook deal subsidise..in which case u are locked....
plus u cant put just any sim.

Fedgrub
13th April 2010, 09:26 AM
I heard yesterday in a large UK paper they had a firm price and release date of 24th of April. Maybe it will be a surprise launch of "iPad available tomorrow" or something.

Didn't we hear that the iPads had landed in Australia around the 5th of April for training?

nando
13th April 2010, 09:45 AM
Didn't we hear that the iPads had landed in Australia around the 5th of April for training?

where did 'we' hear that???

tcn33
13th April 2010, 09:47 AM
A couple of pages back.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/82940-ipad-australia-april-24th.html#post950910

LithgowLights
13th April 2010, 10:26 AM
I heard yesterday in a large UK paper they had a firm price and release date of 24th of April. Maybe it will be a surprise launch of "iPad available tomorrow" or something.

If they dont tell us until the day before, I'll be more than pissed off. Assumiung the Saturday release, I'll have to organise a day off, and if that is the case I might not bother getting one, at least in the short term. I have the feeling much of the hype is being lost here, and although we are only a small consumer compared to the USA & Europe, it's still important to us....

Release the pricing and confirm the dates soon Apple!

stevensr123
13th April 2010, 10:48 AM
still nothing?:( getting a pissed off that they are keeping us in the dark for so long. What's the problem? why don't they just release the prices now.

crankyfranky
13th April 2010, 11:02 AM
getting pissed off that then are keeping us in the dark for so long.

+1 to that!

Joey1983
13th April 2010, 11:02 AM
Acording to the rumours the store should go down tonight / tomorrow morning for the MBP refresh. Perhaps they'll add iPad pricing and details at the same time. Possibly even pre-orders? Well here's hoping anyway.

auspad
13th April 2010, 11:18 AM
every day that they dont release any info here auspad wants to jump on ebay and get one from there...

why are being so meeen:mad:

NathR32
13th April 2010, 11:22 AM
Seriously guys, it's not the end of the world so stop acting like it.

I'm sure there is a good chance they will be released on or around the 24th, and prices will be roughly what everyone is guessing. It's less than two weeks away....

Fedgrub
13th April 2010, 11:28 AM
I'll be happy with a release anytime in April, but disappointed if there is a delay.

crankyfranky
13th April 2010, 01:33 PM
Seriously guys, it's not the end of the world so stop acting like it.

Waddaya mean, it's not the end of the world... :D

The fate of civilisation actually does hang in the balance on Apple's iPad announcement.

LithgowLights
13th April 2010, 02:43 PM
Waddaya mean, it's not the end of the world... :D

The fate of civilisation actually does hang in the balance on Apple's iPad announcement.

Maybe not the entire civilisation, but some members of a small pygmy tribe will die for every day that we have to wait for the accouncement. Today I think I'll throw some into the volcano to make Apple take note!

time4magik
13th April 2010, 04:30 PM
listen guys!
i found out that the first shipment of ipads are in the sydney storehouse already and they are waiting for the second shipment - why? well firstly they need the second shipment to cover the estimated pre-orders, let alone the 3rd shipment for on the day sales - and the second shipment (just a guess) is probably late because america bought out the whole dam factory of them!

And yer they will release pricing, tv ads, preordering ALL at the same time - it seems one things is holding back the rest in this case:)

PS: we should find out info by the end of this week max!

Stez
13th April 2010, 04:33 PM
listen guys!
i found out that the first shipment of ipads are in the sydney storehouse already and they are waiting for the second shipment - why? well firstly they need the second shipment to cover the estimated pre-orders, let alone the 3rd shipment for on the day sales - and the second shipment (just a guess) is probably late because america bought out the whole dam factory of them!

And yer they will release pricing, tv ads, preordering ALL at the same time - it seems one things is holding back the rest in this case:)

PS: we should find out info by the end of this week max!

No reliable source, 14 posts. Hmmmm who to believe?

mitty
13th April 2010, 04:42 PM
Where's Mr X when we need him.

WindowsVista
13th April 2010, 04:46 PM
Sources close to me and apple tell me that iPads are currently being transported from Foxconn to Australia individually by carrier pigeon. Mind you they should arrive before my Optus 3G download of 2mb completes.

Stevoid
13th April 2010, 04:46 PM
I've decided to patiently wait for the Australian launch of the iPad.

Bbut come the end of the month and they release the iPad wifi and pull some "wait another month 3G" bullshit, I'll be ordering mine from the US.

ts10
13th April 2010, 04:48 PM
Sources close to me and apple tell me that iPads are currently being transported from Foxconn to Australia individually by carrier pigeon. Mind you they should arrive before my Optus 3G download of 2mb completes.

:D Quality.

Stez
13th April 2010, 04:51 PM
I've decided to patiently wait for the Australian launch of the iPad.

Bbut come the end of the month and they release the iPad wifi and pull some "wait another month 3G" bullshit, I'll be ordering mine from the US.

+fucking1

LithgowLights
13th April 2010, 04:57 PM
No reliable source, 14 posts. Hmmmm who to believe?

No more reliable than the rest of the posts in here, so I'll give him (??) the benefit of the doubt for now :)

chrissara
13th April 2010, 08:39 PM
Apple Store is down!!!!!!!

ChrisG
13th April 2010, 08:46 PM
OMG OMG OMG The APPLE STORE IS DOWN! Could the pricing be revealed and pre-orders accepted!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

aswitcher
13th April 2010, 08:47 PM
I am not going to be happy if this is ONLY the MBP rev

nando
13th April 2010, 08:48 PM
great price is 499!!!

crankyfranky
13th April 2010, 08:48 PM
Could this really be it? :unsure:

nando
13th April 2010, 08:49 PM
doh! fail :(

nando
13th April 2010, 08:50 PM
Available NOW! OMG!! what to do?!?!???
sickie tomorrow?! :-o

Nightwish
13th April 2010, 08:51 PM
Uh that's the US site guys..

nando
13th April 2010, 08:52 PM
yea got all excited and didnt realise :( sorry! :(

nando
13th April 2010, 08:54 PM
the thing is i went to the store from Apple (http://www.apple.com.au) then to the store and then to ipad and that took me to the US ipad site....so not context aware! :P bad apple!
anyways...hope some prices get revealed at least! geez and me thinking of taking sickee tomorrow! :(

Nightwish
13th April 2010, 08:54 PM
yea got all excited and didnt realise :( sorry! :(

lmao, I kinda wet my pants for a sec there too. I'm pretty sure they'll be up as well tonight. It's already mid-April can't leave it too much later!

maclab
13th April 2010, 09:07 PM
Plenty of ipads can be found here in Hong Kong but they want about $1000AU for 16GB, I waiting to get one later in the month from home. I have seen people using them already on trains and trams.

Japester
13th April 2010, 09:30 PM
I notice the US store is down too. They've already got the iPad, so maybe this is the laptop update. Also, it will be Tue. in the US tomorrow, their release day. I hope it's our iPads though.

mrbrut
13th April 2010, 09:32 PM
I notice the US store is down too. They've already got the iPad, so maybe this is the laptop update. Also, it will be Tue. in the US tomorrow, their release day. I hope it's our iPads though.

The 3G is still to launch in the US...

Zanorath
13th April 2010, 09:41 PM
Woops, didn't mean to post. Sorry guys.

Lutze
13th April 2010, 09:43 PM
I had some good news today, and some bad realisation.

My GF is going to be in Brisvegas on the 27th until the 29th, so if I get an iPad I'll have a bit of peace and quiet that she'll not be able to complain about the lack of attention ;)

The realisation is... where the fuck am I going to get an iPad in Perth on Saturday morning? Perth's got fuck all. Our nearest Apple store is probably in Asia! :(

svale
13th April 2010, 09:53 PM
The realisation is... where the fuck am I going to get an iPad in Perth on Saturday morning? Perth's got fuck all. Our nearest Apple store is probably in Asia! :(

Pray that they finish building the Perth Apple Store before, hmm, that Saturday morning? ;)

LithgowLights
13th April 2010, 09:55 PM

Melbourne or Sydney store is only a day trip away.... and a few hundred for the plane fares and train/taxi to the stores :)

chrissara
13th April 2010, 09:57 PM
Would appear to be smart timing by Apple if it is both an iPad and MacPro update. Why not buy both if you are in the feeding frenzy mood?

minski
13th April 2010, 10:39 PM
no ipad...think its the mbp

dtmross
13th April 2010, 10:40 PM
Welcome to the Apple Store - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au)

australian store is back up!
although looks like the ipad situation is still the same.

as expected, a refresh of the macbook pro line.

* still some layout errors in the australian site too!

Stevoid
13th April 2010, 10:52 PM
I checked it out, only new MacBook pros :-(

Not that this isn't cool, I'm hoping that they still add the iPad for preorder.

Joey1983
13th April 2010, 11:11 PM
Has Australia ever had pre-order options for anything on the online store before?

OziMac
13th April 2010, 11:39 PM
Has Australia ever had pre-order options for anything on the online store before?

Leopard, Snow Leopard...

auspad
14th April 2010, 02:00 AM
grrr i am getting very mad at apple

carlow1
14th April 2010, 07:33 AM

Yep I pre-ordered the original iPod touch when it was announced.

nando
14th April 2010, 11:05 AM
well 10 days to go for the alleged release date...
cmon Apple its ok if we dont have ibooks straight away!..just give us the darn thing! or at least tell us... "it will be release 5th of May and it will cost $bla" Ill be happier if they actually told me a day then just an abstract release date.

chrissara
14th April 2010, 12:14 PM
I suppose the question(s) for those in a panicked mood is this:

1. Are you willing to pay above what may the considered price to get one in your hands now?
2. Are you in the position where you really want the 3G version of the iPad as opposed to the standard version?
3. If Apple do not release the iPad later this month will you purchase one from Ebay or from the US, or are you after the 3G version.

It appears to me those that want Apple to provide information now or want their iPad pricing now are (a) waiting to see if the price is lower or cannot afford to pay a premium to get it now from overseas (or don't want to take the risk) and/or (b) are really hanging out for the 3G version (i.e. don't want to use Mifi or similar device to get 3G connectivity).

Either way you just have to wait until Apple are ready.

Fedgrub
14th April 2010, 01:03 PM
Personally, I am still believing the theory that Apple are holding out to get people outside of the 2 week return period, and double some sales to hold steady the existing numbers already sold. If this is the case, we should see an announcement on or after the 19th of April.

Cassy
14th April 2010, 01:39 PM
Personally, I am still believing the theory that Apple are holding out to get people outside of the 2 week return period, and double some sales to hold steady the existing numbers already sold. If this is the case, we should see an announcement on or after the 19th of April.

That went right over my head, can you please explain this theory? :)

tom5955
14th April 2010, 01:52 PM
That went right over my head, can you please explain this theory? :)

I'm not understanding either.

Doesn't the 2 weeks for return start from the day you actually get the product? Or am I completely wrong?

forno
14th April 2010, 02:01 PM

A wifi iPad and a 3G iPad are 2 different products and therefore you cant buy a wifi iPad and then exchange it within 14 days if the 3G comes out in that period. If thats what you are getting at

tcn33
14th April 2010, 02:12 PM
Sure you can. The return policy is 14 days, regardless of what (or whether) you buy in exchange.

Fedgrub
14th April 2010, 02:18 PM
Sorry guys, I did explain that pretty terribly haha. What I mean is, they sold over 300,000 iPads on the same day. They lose x amount of units if they release the 3G within the 14 day exchange/return period because there are many people who will prefer the 3G. There are lots of people out there that are buying both, and thats only because the 3G wasn't available at initial launch. If they release the 3G within that refund period, people will return them and they might lose 50,000 iPad sales due to refunds. Whereas if they release it outside the two weeks, everyone who bought the wifi only on day one will have no option but to stick with their wifi iPad only or buy the 3G as well. Apple wins on every angle this way. Smart marketing, annoying for the consumers who fed into the hype a little too early.

A wifi iPad and a 3G iPad are 2 different products and therefore you cant buy a wifi iPad and then exchange it within 14 days if the 3G comes out in that period. If thats what you are getting at

Yeah this is what I am getting at. Why is this exchange not allowed? My understanding was you are able to return any product within 14 days minus the restocking fee?

forno
14th April 2010, 02:25 PM
Yeah this is what I am getting at. Why is this exchange not allowed? My understanding was you are able to return any product within 14 days minus the restocking fee?

Because its a different model, that was announced at the same time.

Its not as if they announced the only wifi iPad, then within 14 days of the wifi going on sale released a the 3G version. That would be grounds for an exchange

tcn33
14th April 2010, 02:30 PM
Because its a different model, that was announced at the same time.

Its not as if they announced the only wifi iPad, then within 14 days of the wifi going on sale released a the 3G version. That would be grounds for an exchange

Wrong. You can return most items for any reason you like, or even no reason at all, within 14 days.

Apple - Legal - Sales Policies - Australia Retail Sales (http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_au.html)

Nothing there excludes iPad, and the equivalent policy (http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_us.html) from the US doesn't either.

forno
14th April 2010, 02:41 PM
Wrong. You can return most items for any reason you like, or even no reason at all, within 14 days.

Apple - Legal - Sales Policies - Australia Retail Sales (http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_au.html)

Nothing there excludes iPad, and the equivalent policy (http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_us.html) from the US doesn't either.

Are we not talking about the 14 day exchange policy for situations where for example I bought a MBP 2 days ago and then tooday I wake up and find out a new range of MBP has SUPERCEDED my purchased MBP?

kungfucamel
14th April 2010, 02:46 PM
i don't you could say that it is superseded because it's a different model altogether. it's not like they released the iPad and then released a newer version - they are 2 different models.

tcn33
14th April 2010, 02:50 PM
Are we not talking about the 14 day exchange policy for situations where for example I bought a MBP 2 days ago and then tooday I wake up and find out a new range of MBP has SUPERCEDED my purchased MBP?

Did you read the policy? You can return most items for any reason at all, or for no reason. All it says is "If you are not satisfied with your purchase, return it".

I think you're confusing it with the price differential policy:

Pricing

Should Apple reduce its price on any Apple branded product within fourteen (14) calendar days of the date of purchase, you may request a refund of the difference between the price paid and the current selling price.

forno
14th April 2010, 03:03 PM
OK, I see where you are coming from.

My understanding is, if you pruchase a product from apple, that is then superceded within 14 days, you can then exchange it for the newer model with the appropriate $$ adjustment. From that understanding I was arguing that a wifi iPad and a 3G iPad would not apply to this because they were annound at the same time.

Fedgrub
14th April 2010, 03:11 PM
I see what you mean. Nah, I just meant that someone goes "I prefer the 3G. I'll return this to the Apple store, say I dont want it, turn right back around and get the 3G."

If Apple waits outside these two weeks, everyone who bought it first day dont get this option. If they dont know a date the 3G will be released, they will be less inclined to return their Wifi iPad.

tcn33
14th April 2010, 03:22 PM
TUAW even suggested "renting" a Wifi iPad while waiting for the 3G to come out.

The iPad rent-a-date (http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/09/the-ipad-rent-a-date/)

But it seems fairly logical that Apple would want to keep the release dates three weeks apart - that means those 450,000 people who got theirs in the first week can't just swap them out for a 3G iPad.

tom5955
14th April 2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah its pretty smart marketing by Apple. Not saying anything on a release date makes it seem to iPad purchasers that they were right about buying it early because everyone who is waiting has been waiting ages (not really, but the constant talk about it makes it seem like it is)

Leopard
14th April 2010, 04:04 PM
FFS...Return anything,for any reason,as long as its within 14 days.....People seem to be as thick as SHIT Today....:frustrating:

tom5955
14th April 2010, 04:16 PM
There's no exchanging with the products. If you bought the Wifi then a couple days later the 3G is released. You take back your Wifi iPad, say I don't want it and then its returned, you get all your money except the restocking fee (10%). Then you can go to someone and say can I buy a 3G iPad, and you pay for it. Done. Same goes with a new macbook. You bought it a few days ago, you say I don't want it anymore. Then you go buy the new one.
Its not that hard!

Trabb
14th April 2010, 04:22 PM
And in Australia there isn't even a restocking fee. If you don't want something, even if you've been using it, you have two weeks to return it for whatever reason, as long as you have the packaging and the product isn't damaged you are sweet. I did it last year with a macbook.

tom5955
14th April 2010, 05:07 PM
And in Australia there isn't even a restocking fee. If you don't want something, even if you've been using it, you have two weeks to return it for whatever reason, as long as you have the packaging and the product isn't damaged you are sweet. I did it last year with a macbook.

Thats awesome.

alvse
14th April 2010, 06:06 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or noticed.... but the New Zealand Apple site doesn't even have "Coming Late April" on their iPad page.... lol

tom5955
14th April 2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah thats the same with the HK Apple site, haven't checked any others though.
I was hoping family there could buy be one for cheaper! But I don't think I can wait much longer if they aren't coming out "late april"

decryption
14th April 2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah, there's no announcement at all for NZ iPad launch. Poor bastards.

TheKeddi
14th April 2010, 06:38 PM
Well if there is anyone in NZ that needs help getting an iPad, I will happily buy one here and post it to them. I know what its like to want one and it not be on sale in your home country!

auspad
14th April 2010, 08:24 PM
lol keep the ipad for 2 weeks for 50 bucks sweet;):p

Darwiniandude
14th April 2010, 10:45 PM
<educated_guess>
Store to be updated Tuesday April 20th with pre orders,
units available Saturday May 1st.
</educated_guess>

Fedgrub
14th April 2010, 10:47 PM
Apple Delays International iPad Launch by One Month - International ipad launch - Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5516860/apple-delays-international-ipad-launch-by-one-month)

BAD NEWS... Shiiiit.

carlow1
14th April 2010, 10:51 PM
Appleinsider is reporting the same. Preorders and pricing on 10th May. Delivery not until the end of May. :o

Joey1983
14th April 2010, 10:53 PM
Fuck this...

ford.boy
14th April 2010, 10:55 PM
Fuck this...

Apple owe you man! they owe you BIG!

Its disappointing, but no reason to get angry.

jared79
14th April 2010, 10:58 PM
Confirmed, check Apples (http://www.apple.com/au/) front page, now coming Late May. :( Appleinsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/14/demand_forces_apple_to_delay_international_ipad_la unch_by_a_month.html) reports that Apple can't keep up with demand. Oh well, considering we had to wait a whole year for the iPhone, an extra month is not so bad. More time to save some $$.

tom5955
14th April 2010, 11:03 PM
Confirmed, check Apples (http://www.apple.com/au/) front page, now coming Late May. :( Appleinsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/14/demand_forces_apple_to_delay_international_ipad_la unch_by_a_month.html) reports that Apple can't keep up with demand. Oh well, considering we had to wait a whole year for the iPhone, an extra month is not so bad. More time to save some $$.

I thought you were joking because I checked it less than 20 mins ago.
Its so damn annoying!

Fedgrub
14th April 2010, 11:05 PM
Pretty pathetic we were not catered for in the first place. Apple
is not a small company and should have considered worldwide demand before supplying to anyone. Companies this large can afford accurate economists to tell
them the estimated level of demand. Very poor form for a company this large. Not that they give a shit about the consumer anyway, this proves it.

Oh well, what do they care, they still got their money off 450,000 ipads.

Joey1983
14th April 2010, 11:05 PM
Apple owe you man! they owe you BIG!

Its disappointing, but no reason to get angry.

At least give us pricing, they were happy to sell them to us in late April but now that they can't make em fast enough we cant even know how much they're going to eventually cost us...

I know the delay is obviously not something they wanted to do but it's still so fucking disappointing...

Exocet
14th April 2010, 11:06 PM
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/83597-apple-delays-international-ipad-release-month.html