PDA

View Full Version : Capturing DV via miniDV cam?

cosmichobo
31st March 2010, 11:29 PM
G'day,

Way back in 2006 I shot a short film at uni using a Sony DSR400 (or 450?) in full 48k DV. Presumably due to cost, the uni themselves used miniDV tapes in the cameras, resulting in around 45 minutes footage per tape instead of 60 minutes of "miniDV" footage.

There was both a dubbing room with a rack full of various capture devices, as well as DV capture devices in each of the edit suites. HOWEVER, due to accessibility/time restraints, we ended up capturing some of our footage (filmed on the Sony DSR 400) using my Sony P104E miniDV camcorder.

There was no noticeable difference between the footage captured via the proper devices, and the footage captured via the Sony mini cam.

(To be clear - we SHOT all of the material using the Sony DSR in full DV. The mini cam was only being used as a "reader" of that footage).

So... 4 years later... I wanted to recapture that DV footage so I could do a recut of the film. I dug out the tapes (stored in a cool dark space), and connected up my new camera - a Canon MVX430 (miniDV).

But it wont work! :(

I am getting:

Breaks in timecode every 3 seconds
Sound that cuts in and out
Choppy video

I thought perhaps the heads on the camera needed cleaning - the camera is also 4 years old, though really just spends most of its time sitting on the cupboard... So I bought a TDK head cleaner... But it's made no difference.

Is it likely just to be that the Canon camera can't handle the DV footage... (perhaps even that the Sony camera worked, because it was captured on a Sony? albeit a better sony)

Or are my 4 year old tapes buggered? I don't have any other devices to test them in.

Cheers

cosmic

u98925
1st April 2010, 06:19 AM
Have you tried shooting some new footage on the Canon MVX430 and importing that?

jusrus
1st April 2010, 07:09 AM
I reckon you're theory about Sony & Sony, vs Sony & Canon, could be very plausible. I would test new footage on the Canon to make sure its not faulty, but otherwise, try and find yourself a Sony - from the era if possible.

Does the footage playback OK on the Canon? Have you tried the non-controllable device setting and just letting the footage play through?

The_Hawk
1st April 2010, 11:03 AM
Shame your not in Sydney, I have a Sony MiniDV camera from about 2005/06 sitting here on my desk... if your up for along drive your welcome to drop by and use it. Mind you I'm sure you can find someone a little more local with a Sony camera you can use.

cosmichobo
1st April 2010, 04:34 PM
I've tried recording some fresh footage, and the camera is recording ok, and sound plays back ok from the camera's speaker. Haven't actually tried importing it to the computer, but it wasn't even doing that with the Sony stuff.

I was reluctant to go with Canon, but basically they were I think one of only 2 camcorders in my price range ($800?) that did analogue -> digital, which I need to capture my old VHS stuff.

The physical tape inside the cassettes looks kind of "curled" at the edges... which made me wonder if they had started deteriorating or suffering from heat/etc, but looking at the new-ish tape I used just now to record some test footage - it also has a bit of a curl...

I don't know if the fiancée will be too kindly towards letting me buy an old camcorder from cashies... :} But I think I'll try make my way to a few cashies stores on Saturday to see what they cost.

idiesel
1st April 2010, 07:19 PM
My guess is that your tapes are fine, and it's a Sony Canon thing.
Getting them transferred to DVD via a store ain't cheap @ ~$50 per tape. I tried recently when I thought my heads were stuffed on my old Sony Camcorder, but fortunately a visit to the local repairer cleaned the heads enough for me to transfer the remaining 4 tapes to my PC.

Maybe a quick check on eBay to see if any Sony Camcorders are going cheap

brawlster
1st April 2010, 09:27 PM
G'day,

Way back in 2006 I shot a short film at uni using a Sony DSR400 (or 450?) in full 48k DV. Presumably due to cost, the uni themselves used miniDV tapes in the cameras, resulting in around 45 minutes footage per tape instead of 60 minutes of "miniDV" footage.

(To be clear - we SHOT all of the material using the Sony DSR in full DV. The mini cam was only being used as a "reader" of that footage).

So..

Cosmic.

DVCAM is sony's pro version of miniDV.

It's the same codec and data rate, BUT they have a larger track pitch to record the same info. So, that's why a 60 MiniDV tape only lasts 40 mins. It's using more surface area on the tape to record the same info. The theory being, that it's more resistant to tape dropouts and the tape errors.

Sony made it so ANY of their mini DV cameras can playback BOTH mini DV and DVCAM.

No other cameras or MiniDV decks will do so ASIDE from some even higher end Panasonic DVCPRO decks.

So, find a sony MiniDV camera and you're sorted.

jb

cosmichobo
1st April 2010, 09:41 PM
Thank-you brawlster! So glad to know (most likely) that my tapes aren't buggered. This short has been bouncing around my head all these years and I was so ready to cut it again... here's hoping I can score an old Sony miniDV from cashies for a good price.

cosmichobo
2nd April 2010, 11:41 PM
I thought perhaps an old old Sony DVCAM stand alone player/recorder may be an option... figured surely by now you could get an old one fairly cheaply...

DSR11, released 2000... wanting $650!

cosmichobo
17th April 2010, 05:38 PM
Another DRS11 starting at $0.99 on eBay, but with 3 days, is up to $30 already... don't expect it's gonna go for under $100! :}

And even Cashies hasn't proved too useful... I figure if I'm gonna get a Sony camera for this job, I'll get one with anal->digi pass thru, so I can just leave it plugged in all the time - but the ones that have that added feature still come up around $140.

brawlster
17th April 2010, 05:44 PM
Cosmic, I'm 95% certain all sony DV cameras do passthrough, even if they don't explicitly say they do.

jb

cosmichobo
17th April 2010, 06:23 PM
Mmm! Interesting. May check out Cashies' return policy and put it to the test on the cheaper camera/s available...