PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 9.1 out

spuds_imac
31st March 2010, 07:11 AM
Apple has released iTunes 9.1 via their Software Update utility and website. According to the company, this update brings several new features and improvements to the software, including: Sync with iPad to enjoy your favorite music, movies, TV shows, books and more on the go; Organize and sync books you've downloaded from iBooks on iPad or added to your iTunes library; Rename, rearrange, or remove Genius Mixes...

Dust For Eyes
31st March 2010, 07:50 AM
I dragged some epub files into iTunes and they now show up there all ready for my forthcoming iPad.

When you double click on the epub files in iTunes though, nothing happens.

foovo
31st March 2010, 08:14 AM
iPhoto update and canon printer drivers downloaded in a couple of seconds but I'm having trouble downloading more than about 5.1 MB of the 102.1MB - must be popular (About 9 hours to go!)

u98925
31st March 2010, 08:36 AM
Took me just on 2 minutes to get it from here (http://support.apple.com/downloads/).

foovo
31st March 2010, 08:53 AM
Took me just on 2 minutes to get it from here (http://support.apple.com/downloads/).

Thanks that worked - my Software Update was just crapping itself as it has a partly downloaded corrupted file. Where does Apple store these packages when they're being downloaded and is it safe to delete them?

leon
31st March 2010, 09:12 AM
Anyone know if 9.1 is Jailbreak and Unlock compatible? I'm running a 1st Gen iPhone here. Nothing on the iPhone-dev blog about it.

BowieNIN
31st March 2010, 10:38 AM
Best thing is you can now convert your music to 128 kbps AAC on the fly to the iphone saving alot of space

Japester
31st March 2010, 10:40 AM
Best thing is you can now convert your music to 128 kbps AAC on the fly to the iphone saving alot of space

Is that for real? I heard that as a rumour, but didn't see it documented in the release notes. I can't test at the moment, but I'm busting to see if this is real.

The_Hawk
31st March 2010, 10:47 AM
Is that for real? I heard that as a rumour, but didn't see it documented in the release notes. I can't test at the moment, but I'm busting to see if this is real.

yep, seems to be an option... although space has rarely been an issue for me so I don't know that I could be arsed adding any overhead to the sync process.

Japester
31st March 2010, 10:50 AM
yep, seems to be an option... although space has rarely been an issue for me so I don't know that I could be arsed adding any overhead to the sync process.

This is a dynamite feature. I've got a 160Gb Classic with all my music on it. I started a project to rip my CDs to Apple Lossless because I wanted to rip them once and not have to do so again (I've been through 4 quality stages since 2003). I've got about 10Gb left and this has essentially stopped the project.

With the down-convert feature, I could continue to rip everything to Lossless but yet fit everything on the Classic. It's a perfect solution. I use the Classic at work. I play it at low volume through desktop speakers, so the difference in quality would be unnoticeable.

u98925
31st March 2010, 11:15 AM
Anyone know if 9.1 is Jailbreak and Unlock compatible? I'm running a 1st Gen iPhone here. Nothing on the iPhone-dev blog about it.

My 1st Gen iPhone is still working fine, currently running OS v3.1.

...and as for the AAC conversion -

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7387/screenshot20100331at121.png

BowieNIN
31st March 2010, 11:45 AM
Ok so here's the question. Now that it's worth ripping CDs as lossless what is the best way to rerip all my CDs and not have duplicates in iTunes. Can the metadata be preserved or do I have to start from scratch. Any program that will help with this?? Thanks

yinyang
31st March 2010, 11:51 AM
Ok so here's the question. Now that it's worth ripping CDs as lossless what is the best way to rerip all my CDs and not have duplicates in iTunes. Can the metadata be preserved or do I have to start from scratch. Any program that will help with this?? Thanks

As long as the tags/info are the same the re-rips will pick up all existing data from the originals....

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/11/41615-itunes-can-i-re-rip-songs-but-keep-play-count.html

Japester
31st March 2010, 12:27 PM

You can change your import settings to Lossless, put a disc in and you'll be asked if you want to replace files. You do. iTunes will replace each file and now you'll have Lossless version with Date Added, Play Count and Last Played all intact.

This falls down almost inevitably, though, because the disc doesn't match the files. In this case you won't be asked if you want to replace and you'll have to match the CD tags to those of the existing files.

Most likely you've lost the database that stores all the CD tags. Perhaps you import and then adjust tags, or not at all. This is why I recommend that you fully tag the disc prior to ripping. Later, when you put the disc in, iTunes will read the entry from its database and it will match the existing files. The other aspect to this operation is that you have to guard your CD-tag database carefully against loss. You will lose it if you change computers, reinstall the OS, etc. I back mine up to DropBox every day. The file is called "CD Info.cidb" and is located in ~/Library/Preferences. Another advantage of this is I can occasionally copy the file to another computer and have access to all those CD tags.

Bottom line: If you want to keep your audit data (Date Added, Play Count, Last Played, etc.), you'll have to put in some work.

Vaempyr
31st March 2010, 12:34 PM
Looks like "Applications" has been renamed "Apps", too.

FineWine
31st March 2010, 12:37 PM
I have just noticed that in my ~/Documents I now have Folders for:
My eBooks
My Music
My Pictures
My Videos

These folders are all empty. All my content are in my User Directory, Movies, Music & Pictures.

Is this new with this iTunes update?

Japester
31st March 2010, 12:38 PM
My eBooks
My Music
My Pictures
My Videos

These folders are all empty. All my content are in my User Directory, Movies, Music & Pictures.

Yes. Looks like you're on a Windows system.

Japester
31st March 2010, 12:58 PM
My eBooks
My Music
My Pictures
My Videos

I stupidly answered this too quickly. The home folder contains My Music, My Pictures and My Videos on my Windows 7 machine. No "My eBooks" folder.

iTunes uses the My Music folder. The default path to the files is ~\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\. In my case, I have "Automatically Add to iTunes", which is a default folder, and Music, because I have some music in my iTunes library. No other folders, because those media types are not present.

On my laptop, the folders within the iTunes Media folder have not changed. I've still got an "Audiobooks" folder. I wonder what would happen if I added an eBook?

iTunes doesn't add folders to iTunes Media unless content of that type is present.

FineWine
31st March 2010, 12:59 PM
Yes. Looks like you're on a Windows system.

Nope, I am on a Mac 10.5.8

Aladdin
31st March 2010, 01:34 PM

Hooray!! Fantastic!! Finally, a feature that has been present for the iPod shuffle since Day 1 comes across to other devices.

Is it restricted to 128kbps, or can we change it to 256kbps AAC (iTunes Plus)?

(stuck at work, not able to check till home time).

Japester
31st March 2010, 01:37 PM
Hooray!! Fantastic!! Finally, a feature that has been present for the iPod shuffle since Day 1 comes across to other devices.

Is it restricted to 128kbps, or can we change it to 256kbps AAC (iTunes Plus)?

(stuck at work, not able to check till home time).

It's 128Kbps AAC.

Japester
31st March 2010, 03:23 PM
My thoughts on the feature (http://tunegardener.com/2010/03/31/itunes-9-1s-down-convert-feature-is-a-game-changer/).

Beau
31st March 2010, 03:38 PM
My thoughts on the feature (http://tunegardener.com/2010/03/31/itunes-9-1s-down-convert-feature-is-a-game-changer/).

Game changer sure.
But takes so. freakin'. long.

I only sync about 2,000 songs from my 3000 song library. Bitrates vary... but I'd say that most of it is >128kbps, usually either 256kbps AAC or 320kbps MP3.

Without the on the fly converting, the playlist I'd be syncing is around 11GB. Now with the converting, it only takes up 7GB.

Only problem is... it took 4 hours to resync all my content on my old-ish MacBook. Not so great if you want to put some stuff on there in a hurry.

Japester
31st March 2010, 03:41 PM
Game changer sure.
But takes so. freakin'. long.

I only sync about 2,000 songs from my 3000 song library. Bitrates vary... but I'd say that most of it is >128kbps, usually either 256kbps AAC or 320kbps MP3.

Without the on the fly converting, the playlist I'd be syncing is around 11GB. Now with the converting, it only takes up 7GB.

Only problem is... it took 4 hours to resync all my content on my old-ish MacBook. Not so great if you want to put some stuff on there in a hurry.

I've got over 14000 songs on my iPod. Probably a little over half are AAC, the rest MP3. Did it actually convert your MP3 files?

Yes, it's a big job, but you only do it once for the initial sync and it shouldn't be too painful after that.

nibbles
31st March 2010, 03:45 PM
Nope, I am on a Mac 10.5.8

???? We already have a music folder why is it in documents now? iTunes is a bit of an old name now because the app does a lot more than tunes, it now does video, podcasts, apps, ebooks, tv shows. I haven't updated yet and may not for a while because I don't have a need for anything it enables

imacattack
31st March 2010, 11:28 PM
Installed the new itunes update looked into the iPhone page in iTunes to find a new option.

Convert higher bit rate songs to 128kbps AAC

this sounds cool and free up space on the iPhone but after selecting & then Sync it appears to have got it self stuck doing Optimizing ?

Smokebelch
1st April 2010, 07:54 PM
Has anyone else who suffered from 3 hour+ iphone backups find that they're much faster now with the 9.1 upgrade? It takes about 2 minutes max now

gikku
1st April 2010, 08:10 PM
my iPhone doesn't connect anymore! serious poo.

edit: issues with phone, rebooted into safe mode twice. all good now. :D

Stez
1st April 2010, 08:39 PM
Love the ability to convert to 128 kbps AAC, my 2G iPod Touch 16GB jailbroken is recognised perfectly fine in this update, running 3.1.3, although I have heard rumours about it not synching with some iPhones/Touches.

reemixx
1st April 2010, 08:42 PM
Until installing 9.1 yesterday, I kept two iTunes libraries: one exclusively for my lossless audio library, the other for syncing to my iPhone (192kbps down-conversions which were double ups of my lossless tracks, and all my apps). Tried smart folders... Was too fiddly. The two iTunes libraries worked better, but was a giant pain in the arse to have to quit out of my main library to sync my iPhone.

Soooo happy I don't need this anymore. The auto bit rate conversion is freaking AMAZING. I don't give a damn that it takes longer to sync, the convenience is worth it. It'd be icing on the cake to have the ability to specify the bit rate for the on-the-fly conversions, but hey... beggars can't be choosers. I can live with it since I don't do any serious listening on the iPhone.

Oh yes, and all the new Aperture photo syncing stuff is excellent (this *is* new, right? Only just got Aperture 3 so not 100% certain). Can now sync iPhone videos back to the iPhone through iTunes (and Aperture now handles video so double yay), and I'm pretty sure the way they show you your list of Aperture projects and albums in iTunes is much better, keeping the file structure whereas it was just a giant list of confusion before.

Best iTunes update in a looong time. Happy days.

Stez
3rd April 2010, 04:31 PM
Been using for a while now, maybe it's just me but iTunes seems much snappier.

Joey1983
3rd April 2010, 04:34 PM
Is it just me or is the store stuffed up, it takes about 3 or 4 attempts to click on things...

MrJesseRoss
3rd April 2010, 04:47 PM
The scrolling thing at the top of the main store page is broken for me. It still works, but it scrolls over the window, not below it.

Also, I have no genius mixes. Not even after updating Genius or restarting iTunes. It's not really an issue for me as I don't use them anyway, it's just weird.