PDA

View Full Version : Update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.6 problem

kaisersozay
30th March 2010, 05:45 PM
My Mac Mini came with 10.5.4 disks and duly installed. Then updated with 10.5.6 and then 10.5.8 - no problems for the last 8 months.
Today we had a 5 hour power out. After power on the Mac Mini just sat with the white screen, grey Apple and spinning cog - and sat and sat. Two hours later I decide to reinstall from my 10.5.4 disks. Only option was Archive and Install or Erase.
Went for Archive. After installing all appears as was and I downloaded the first update -> 10.5.6. Did so, went to install and had this message:
http://bachbeautyclinic.com/images.2/Install-problem.jpg

Could it be that 'Previous System Folder is still there?

The Mini is G5 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1GB RAM
and accepted the update in the past. I am at a loss.
Any thoughts anyone?

QuickSilver
30th March 2010, 08:21 PM
Hi,
You say you are updating from 10.5.4 to 10.5.6. Which updater are you using? If you are using Software Update it should be trying to use the last version which is 10.5.8. If you're doing it manually you should probably have downloaded the 10.5.8 combo installer which will update any version of 10.5, and get you to the last one in one hit.

Perhaps the 10.5.6 update is expecting 10.5.5?

Hope this helps.

kaisersozay
31st March 2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks Quicksilver. I downloaded from the Apple Download list. Firstly, there is no 10.5.5 and when I read 10.5.8 Combo, it said it required 10.5.6 be installed first. Anyway, it had not occurred to me to use Software Update. Your suggestion could well be the solution, as I just initiated it on the Mini and it is at least downloading it (10.5.8) after asking me for my password. One would think it would have spat the dummy at that stage. Long process though. Coming down at approx 169kb and estimated time of 2 hours. I will be out for the rest of the morning, so will see when I return.

kaisersozay
31st March 2010, 12:42 PM
Quicksilver, you deserve my gratitude. The Software Update version of 10.5.8 Combo worked and that begs the question; why are the downloads different?