PDA

View Full Version : Weird Stuffit Problem

Tejas
26th August 2005, 09:05 PM
when i try to extract a file (the current one is a .sit, but has happened all day on files) i get an empty file, yet when i right click and go to view info it shows a file size (in this case 11.7 meg) i have reinstalled stuffit but it has not helped.
any ideas?

Rayd
26th August 2005, 10:00 PM
have you checked the folder in list view, maybe in icon view there down i the corners out of sight.

ford.boy
26th August 2005, 10:12 PM
finally someone with the same problem.

I get exactly the same thing.

one work around I found is the search the folder in spotlight for say a dmg file or jpg or whatever the file is that you're looking for. As soon as it finds it, it's alright and can be seen from then on in.

If anyone could please help us out, it would be fantastic.

Tejas
26th August 2005, 10:43 PM
it seams to have fixed itself - i have no idea how though

Tejas
27th August 2005, 10:28 AM
ok it happened again and i found out if i open the file the items are bing extracted to i can see the items

Byrd
27th August 2005, 10:36 AM
Could it be a problem with Spotlight's indexing feature - perhaps you need to index your drive again?

JB

Tejas
27th August 2005, 03:07 PM
how do i do that?

Mac Aid
28th August 2005, 11:39 PM
sounds more like the files/folder is being created invisible, so once you find it and select it with spotlight, it's visible again for that session.

Have you tried tossing stuffit preferences? ~/Library/Preferences/com.stuffit. ... ?

A re-install often doesn't replace them.

nichrich
30th August 2005, 12:20 PM
Not sure whether this exactly addresses your problem. I had a problem with invisible StuffIt files clogging space on my desktop. I downloaded a program called TinkerTool ( http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool2.html?). With a couple of keystrokes any invisible files sitting on your desktop are made visible. StuffIt apparently has some bug in it, which the maker, Allume, is aware of, that causes invisible files to be left lying around. This, as I understand it, happens if the decompression process is interrupted by something like a system crash.