PDA

View Full Version : Will the 4th edition be cheaper?

Joe98
29th March 2010, 02:22 PM
I saw a story that claimed that if you wish to read the Wall Street Journal via the iPad you will pay a monthly subscription of $20.

When I was at university, we would be told to get a specific textbook and a specific edition. Such as the 4th edition for example.

I would always find the 3rd edition for sale second hand and all 3 editions would be found in the library.

Now that we are slowing migrating to electronic books: If I have proof of ownership of the 3rd edition of a book and want the 4th edition, do I have to pay full price or can I buy it at a discount?
-

Lutze
29th March 2010, 02:33 PM
Currently you have to pay to view all content on WSJ. The iPad pricing* is reduced on what it normally costs.

If you wish to buy something that you have in physical format currently, but in e-book format you will need to pay for that.

I'm not sure these two things are related though.

*pricing has been leaked... nobody knows if it's for real

Joe98
29th March 2010, 03:50 PM
Try again:

Buy a book in electronic format.

Some years later another edition is published in electronic format.

If I own the earlier edition is the later editon cheaper?

Is there any real benefit to migrating to electronic books?

-

Jaste
29th March 2010, 03:54 PM
Upgrade pricing on books would be great, especially in an academic setting! I am yet to see anything mentioning this though. I know some publishers let you download the updated chapters if you own a previous edition. I am pretty sure one of my Mike Meyers A+ certification books did that.

tcn33
29th March 2010, 04:04 PM
If I own the earlier edition is the later editon cheaper?

No.

mallo
29th March 2010, 06:49 PM
No.

What tcn33 meant to say is. we won't know until the iBook store is live, and this sort of thing begins to happen.

tcn33
29th March 2010, 07:04 PM
Well, kinda, but what I really meant was "no way in hell".

Textbook publishers have two options: take advantage of the massively lower costs associated with printing and distribution and pass that on in the form of discounted "upgrades"; or, faced with the inevitable fact of their entrenched model dying a speedy death, claw frantically for every last dollar they can - up to and including their stubborn refusal to offer any discount whatsoever for buying an iPad version over the dead tree equivalent.

Call me a cynic but I know which one I'm tipping.

Alessiman
29th March 2010, 07:33 PM
I am pretty sure one of my Mike Meyers A+ certification books did that.

Totally off topic but its good to see someone with an A+ certification on these boards :)

The Fluffy Duck
29th March 2010, 08:29 PM
Is there any real benefit to migrating to electronic books?

-

No.

Jaste
29th March 2010, 09:01 PM
Totally off topic but its good to see someone with an A+ certification on these boards :)

haha sorry to burst your bubble. I bought the book but I never did the test. It is on my list of things to do though!