PDA

View Full Version : Space saved upgrading to Snow Leopard

AUSMUG
27th March 2010, 09:57 PM
I have a MacBook Pro running 10.5.8 with a 150 GB hard disk with around 40 GB of free space. I am considering upgrading to Snow Leopard but this means my old version of Final Cut Studio will be incompatible so I will need to upgrade it to the current version. Unfortunately I may not have enough free space to do the upgrade.

Therefore I have a couple of questions.

If I upgrade to SL will it remove a lot of the old PPC code by doing the system upgrade, thus saving me a lot of space like Apple claim you get with a fresh install? If so how much extra free space will I likely end up with?
Will this extra saved space be enough for me to install Final Cut Studio or will I be screwed and be forced to upgrade the internal hard disk to a larger drive?

Brains
27th March 2010, 11:43 PM
Moving to 10.6 does result in a reduction in space used by system files, but not by much.

In your shoes, I would definitely look at upgrading the internal to a 250GB or 320GB drive, and a 2.5" enclosure so you can use your original drive for Time Machine or general storage.

AUSMUG
28th March 2010, 01:54 PM
I was afraid that would be the answer. Being mid term at uni, I can't really afford the time I would be without my laptop if I sent it in for any upgrades. Additionally, since it will be 3 years old next month it is almost certain that the motherboard will die soon afterwards and to be honest I have no need for an additional external drive using the old laptops drive since I bought a Synology DS1010+ with 10 TB's of storage for backups a couple of weeks ago.

The only reason I even considered moving to SL was because the last 4 of my 7 XServe's died a few weeks ago (the day before I had a chance to set up the Synology for backups) so I ended up buying a Mac mini with SL Server pre-installed a couple of days ago to have somewhere to put my sites and my customers sites on after I rebuild them all (major PITA). I had figured with the new server it would be nice to have a client machine I could use to monitor/manage the new server with and perhaps even take advantages of the new services it offered. I guess I was just kidding myself thinking this would be a smooth transition.

Considering I would need to upgrade the hard disk, upgrade Final Cut Studio and additionally need to upgrade FileMaker Advanced & Concept Draw (which I hadn't mentioned earlier) all just to run SL, I guess I am going to have to pass on the move to SL. It just isn't worth all the cost, risk and hassle for the minimal amount of features I would gain.

Brains
28th March 2010, 08:00 PM
Understandable. Oh well, you now have a server, so use some of the space -- go through your laptop drive and cull out anything you don't really need and move it to the server.