PDA

View Full Version : Good quality webcam for G4 iMac - iSight or not?

cosmichobo
27th March 2010, 09:29 PM
G'day,

My parents have finally gotten a better internet plan than the 200MB/month plan they were on (now 12GB).

So, I'm looking for a out-of-the-box-EASY webcam that will work, no problems, with their iMac G4, running 10.4 (.11 I think), in either iChat, or (as I recall hearing that iChat didn't always work that well?) Yahoo.

My brother mentioned scoring 2 iSights a while ago, but I'm not sure if he still has them/if they worked. If not, then I'm debating - fork out around $90-$140 for a 2nd hand iSight on eBay... or finding something new.

There's been some threads before about USB webcams that have worked out of the box... but am scared off a bit due to hassles I've had with a USB (logitech) webcam myself... though - I don't know if anyone makes firewire webcams now???

thanks

cosmic

gehenna
27th March 2010, 09:33 PM
the Microsoft Lifecam range is rather good, and Logitech put out some nice webcams too. Both companies have Mac drivers IIRC. iSights are a bit of a collector item these days so you're likely to pay a premium - ie as much for a 2nd hand one as you would pay for a brand new other brand.

stewiesno1
27th March 2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, as Gehenna states they are expensive but they are also frigging good at what they do.
A friend of mine has one he uses on a G4 MDD and he has tried about five different ones over the years( his brother works in a PC store ).
None of the others come close he reckons although I'd tend to agree but with a grain or two of salt to that statement as well.

Stewie

cosmichobo
28th March 2010, 09:34 AM
Looking at completed listings, iSights sell for around $80+p&p. Or you can buy from the "buy it now" people without going through the bidding crap for $140+p&p.

So, if I could score one via bidding for only say $90 inc postage, that'd be cool... but otherwise may as well go with something USB/new.

Byrd
28th March 2010, 10:36 AM
You have to consider that a USB webcam is best at USB 2.0 speeds, and suspecting that your parent's iMac has USB 1.1 ... it will be pretty crappy. The software for these generic webcams is also pretty cruddy, or requires a driver to install.

iSights keep their price because they are probably still the highest quality dedicated webcam around, and have attachments which will fit onto a lampshare iMac nicely. I picked one up for my Cube for $100 last year, which was a good price as they often go for over $150, so keep an eye out on the 'bay.

JB

idiesel
28th March 2010, 12:16 PM
Have a look at Fluidtek for some competitive pricing on some Logitech 2MP webcams

cosmichobo
28th March 2010, 02:32 PM
I am moderately sure that I got them a 1.25GHz iMac, cos I am sure that it was the "same" spec as my eMac... which would mean it is USB2... but not sure I've ever followed that up.

The iSight I've been watching is now over $100 inc postage...

Byrd
28th March 2010, 04:29 PM
iSights do fetch a lot at times - but when looking on eBay a good cheap one does come through every couple of weeks, from what I've seen.

JB

ClockWork
28th March 2010, 05:19 PM
I have one of these:

http://www.buymac.com.au/images/images/215x215fixed/2564.jpg

and have sold many of them to my customers also, without any complaints.

iMage Web Cam (http://ecamm.com/mac/imagewebcam/).

Compatible with Mac OS X 10.4.3 or higher.
Very small and able to either be hooked on the edge of a notebook or made to stand on its foot.
It's only requirement is a USB 2.0 Port.

avolve
29th March 2010, 07:05 PM
I just passed on my iSight on here for $55 (as new condition). ask around and you might get one for similar...

I was astounded by how good the iSight was when i first got it - nothing else came close.