PDA

View Full Version : Sign up for the Steam Mac Beta

Jaste
27th March 2010, 09:00 PM
Valve have opened up a sign up page for the Mac Beta of Steam. You can sign up here:

Steam on Mac - Beta Application (http://store.steampowered.com/macbeta/)

gehenna
27th March 2010, 09:06 PM
Done,

Interesting submission process, having to upload system profiler info and all. I wonder if they restrict beta access to your specific machine somehow.

Lockley
27th March 2010, 10:37 PM
just signed up, hope i get picked :)

amstrad_mac
28th March 2010, 04:42 AM
Signed up aswell.. fingers crossed.

mac_man_luke
28th March 2010, 04:41 PM
Done,

Interesting submission process, having to upload system profiler info and all. I wonder if they restrict beta access to your specific machine somehow.

Think its more so that they can choose a wider variety of machine - also most likely not give the beta to people with under spec machines eg macbooks with integrated graphics, PPC etc

iPirate
28th March 2010, 08:00 PM
I need a steam account to sign up for the beta for something that will be the first time I will need a steam account for... huh?

gehenna
28th March 2010, 08:18 PM
I need a steam account to sign up for the beta for something that will be the first time I will need a steam account for... huh?

Not such a big deal really is it?

BiRDBRAiN
29th March 2010, 06:50 AM
I've been on steam since Half-Life 2 came out :D

Just signed up for the beta.

Geoff3DMN
29th March 2010, 08:05 AM
I'm an active steam user on my windows gaming box, I've just signed up using my MacMini with 9400M integrated graphics.

I can't help wondering if I should have used the iMac to sign up (which has better graphics).

bennyling
29th March 2010, 08:12 AM
Think its more so that they can choose a wider variety of machine - also most likely not give the beta to people with under spec machines eg macbooks with integrated graphics, PPC etc

You think?

I would've thought that the purpose of submitting such data was to gather a more complete range - i.e. a good variation of every current Mac in existence, rather than "only models with a certain graphics card".

DagrtheSnide
29th March 2010, 08:21 AM
Steam does the same thing within the PC world, they use the collected data to find out what is the average PC that users are using.

Steam Hardware Survey (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/)

Each month, Steam collects data about what kinds of computer hardware our customers are using. The survey is incredibly helpful for us as game developers in that it ensures that we're making good decisions about what kinds of technology investments to make. Making these survey results public also allows people to compare their own current hardware setup to that of the community as a whole.

mac_man_luke
29th March 2010, 08:24 AM
You think?

I would've thought that the purpose of submitting such data was to gather a more complete range - i.e. a good variation of every current Mac in existence, rather than "only models with a certain graphics card".

Why would they want someone using it that they know the games are not going to work properly on and are just going to whinge that its not a perfect experience

Jaste
29th March 2010, 09:13 AM
I'm really hoping my late 2007 MacBook Pro makes the cut. It is still minimum spec for Force Unleashed. Won't have my new iMac for another month yet.

Geoff3DMN
29th March 2010, 10:39 AM
One thing I did note was that they asked in the survey how many macs I owned and what types they were so hopefully they won't base the results just on the single machine that was submitted...

bennyling
29th March 2010, 11:28 AM
Why would they want someone using it that they know the games are not going to work properly on and are just going to whinge that its not a perfect experience

But they won't know what the experience is, perfect or otherwise (i.e. acceptable) until they actually go out and test it on a wide range of hardware.

Minimum requirements for PCs won't necessairily translate across to Macs, and if they're doing some sort of crazy optimisations than there's a snowballs chance in hell that say, Portal, will run at 640x480 on a 945 GM chipset.

I would like to have that chance. :cool:

avolve
29th March 2010, 05:35 PM
signed up - looking forward to it too

Jaste
30th March 2010, 08:45 AM
Out of interest, did anyone get a confirmation e-mail or just the web thankyou? You usually get a confirmation e-mail for these sorts of things and I didn't see one.

gehenna
30th March 2010, 09:22 AM
Out of interest, did anyone get a confirmation e-mail or just the web thankyou? You usually get a confirmation e-mail for these sorts of things and I didn't see one.

I just got the webby thank you, no confirmation email.

The_Hawk
30th March 2010, 11:57 AM

I suppose it's for one of two reasons, either they want people who have some experience with Steam so they can give a comparison between the two both in terms of Steam performance and game performance. In this case someone with a gaming PC would be ideal.

The alternative is that they just want people who are ready to go if selected, I would suggest in this case they would also be cataloging what games are owned by those accounts. In this case people with games that have been ported to run nativly on Mac would be the ideal candidates.

Jaste
2nd April 2010, 07:24 PM
Be sure to post here if/when you get accepted! Although I am sure the news sites will report when the beta starts.

freefallgrue
4th April 2010, 11:03 PM
Signed up. Odd they don't ask about previous testing experience, which is a shame since it'd drastically increase my chances of getting in I imagine.

Balthazar
6th April 2010, 03:03 PM
Has anyone started to recieve their invites?

I have seen written that it will be release in April yet a havent heard of any Beta clients out in the wild yet... strange?

TheWatchman
6th April 2010, 03:27 PM
Has anyone started to recieve their invites?

I have seen written that it will be release in April yet a havent heard of any Beta clients out in the wild yet... strange?

Guess you've never heard of Valve Time (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time)

nibbles
7th April 2010, 08:55 AM
So when is the actual release date, not for the beta?

mcphero_74
15th April 2010, 10:55 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. It's meant to be in April, and the month's almost over.

Balthazar
15th April 2010, 11:01 AM
Steam and Apple are running on similar timelines... expect late may now.

freefallgrue
15th April 2010, 11:32 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. It's meant to be in April, and the month's almost over.

Since when is the midpoint of a month when it's "almost over"?

Is being 40 years old "Almost dead"?

Geoff3DMN
15th April 2010, 11:38 AM
Is being 40 years old "Almost dead"?

Speaking as a 50 year old... yah pretty much :D

Jaste
15th April 2010, 10:52 PM
I logged into Steam on the PC today and they had a link to the PC Beta of the new client. I guess the Mac version will lag behind it a bit.

thebookfreak58
22nd April 2010, 03:55 PM
Closed beta is out:

First Screenshots of Steam for Mac [Update: Video] (http://www.macstories.net/news/exclusive-first-screenshots-of-steam-for-mac/)

Balthazar
23rd April 2010, 08:12 AM
"...You can access all your games in the Library and browse the Store, but we havenít been able to get any screenshots of available games yet...."

Hmmm... this seems strange to me. why wouldn't you include this key info?

(Unless you wanted to generate extra link bait by posting these pictures in a later post maybe?)

Jaste
26th April 2010, 10:39 PM
I'm guessing no one here got into the Beta? Or if you get in can you not tell anyone?

bennyling
26th April 2010, 11:00 PM
Give it overnight - the rumour I heard was that it was being released Monday (but it's not yet Monday in the US).

avolve
28th April 2010, 06:59 AM
The PC version of the new GUI came out of beta in the last 2 days...

Jaste
28th April 2010, 08:49 AM
Give it overnight - the rumour I heard was that it was being released Monday (but it's not yet Monday in the US).

Well it is definitely past Monday so I guess it has been delayed a bit.

robc
30th April 2010, 12:05 PM
I don't think it matters much anymore - we've finally got an actual date (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28317/Valve_Dates_Steam_Mac_For_May_12_Updates_Steam_PC. php) for the OSX release: May 12 (which likely means the 13th for us in Oz).

The fact it's from Gamasutra is actually a good sign (being they're industry based & whatnot). Fingers crossed it doesn't slip any further into Valve time ;)

Jaste
30th April 2010, 01:38 PM
Here is another report of the Valve press release so 12 May looks solid: Valve Announces May 12th Debut for Steam on Mac OS X - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/29/valve-announces-may-12th-debut-for-steam-on-mac-os-x/)

Akshunhiro
2nd May 2010, 02:32 AM
How's this for an update. I have the leaked Steam beta client, noticed it received another update and I can now download and play TF2 + Mac Portal and I am not enrolled in the closed beta.

http://www.ihasaids.com/upload/data/1272748190.jpg

Lockley
2nd May 2010, 12:44 PM
how did you get that?, where can i get that?

lord
2nd May 2010, 09:06 PM
how did you get that?, where can i get that?

I'd suggest just waiting.

Jaste
2nd May 2010, 09:27 PM
I see COD4 in your list. Is that downloadable and playable or is the list just all of your PC games? Or does the list only show Mac compatible games?

~Coxy
3rd May 2010, 10:27 AM
How's this for an update. I have the leaked Steam beta client, noticed it received another update and I can now download and play TF2 + Mac Portal and I am not enrolled in the closed beta.

When you say you can download and play, have you actually tried? Does it work, or does it say that the content won't be unlocked till the 12th?

Balthazar
10th May 2010, 08:52 AM
I see COD4 in your list. Is that downloadable and playable or is the list just all of your PC games? Or does the list only show Mac compatible games?

I dont know the answer however going on the fact that WoW is in the list id say COD4 was manually added to the list

gehenna
10th May 2010, 09:16 AM
AppleInsider have a new feature out looking at Steam, Portal and TF2:
AppleInsider | First look: Valve's Steam, Team Fortress 2 and Portal for Mac (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/05/09/first_look_valves_steam_team_fortress_2_and_portal _for_mac.html)

Jaste
10th May 2010, 10:44 AM
I dont know the answer however going on the fact that WoW is in the list id say COD4 was manually added to the list

Hmm ok thanks. I guess all will be revealed soon enough.