PDA

View Full Version : Mac Book Pro will not start

beadsonline
26th March 2010, 09:04 PM
My Mac book pro will not start after it went into sleep mode - at all... I get some white light at the front and then it dies.

I have tried removing the battery, calling apple support, the PRAM comand and I have an appointment at the genius bar at the end of next week.

Its a 2008 model does any one have idea what the problem could be - is a logic board issue or a hard drive issue.

What I am really concern about is my infomation safe? As I have no back up and I have some very important files.

thank you in advance,
Judith

gehenna
26th March 2010, 09:06 PM
Tried an SMC Reset (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964)?

beadsonline
26th March 2010, 09:09 PM
I don't think I can try a SMC reset as the computer doesn't start at all - you press the power button and you get the white light at the font come on for 4 seconds - then it stops.

gehenna
26th March 2010, 09:16 PM
It's pretty much the same as trying the PRAM reset, can't hurt.

beadsonline
26th March 2010, 09:21 PM
Yes I did try it - thank you. It just will not start.

Any idea if its a hard drive problem and my infomation is lost? I am reading a lot that it may be a logic board problem but is my infomation safe

ajbeardy
26th March 2010, 09:26 PM
Do you have the CD that came with the MBP to try booting from that..

beadsonline
26th March 2010, 09:29 PM
Do you have the CD that came with the MBP to try booting from that..

when i press the power button it makes a noise, the white lights at the front come on and then nothing.

ajbeardy
26th March 2010, 09:31 PM
Yes I did try it - thank you. It just will not start.

Any idea if its a hard drive problem and my infomation is lost? I am reading a lot that it may be a logic board problem but is my infomation safe

Well it if it a logic board your data should hopefully be okay...If it is that important you really should have a backup...

beadsonline
26th March 2010, 09:35 PM
Well it if it a logic board your data should be fine...If it is that important you really should have a backup...

I know i hate myself - I was going to buy back up a few months ago but I got side tracked. I have just got that sick feeling in my stomach that I did this to myself.

ajbeardy
26th March 2010, 09:40 PM
Well if you have access to another Mac you could try target disk mode to see if the disk mounts. The other option is to remove the disk and mount it in an external case and see if it can be read....

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661)

Troubleshooting a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro that won't turn on (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365)

Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Shortcuts for starting up (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/cdb_strtup.html)

Either way if you are not sure what you are doing waiting to see the Genius is probably the best option. Make sure you explain to them you do not have a backup up of the data!

beadsonline
26th March 2010, 09:45 PM
Either way if you are not sure what you are doing waiting to see the Genius is probably the best option. Make sure you explain to them you do not have a backup up of the data!

Thanks its going to be a few sleepless nights - I am thinking of going first thing in the morning tomrorow when the store opens to see if they can fit me in (I don't like my luck but I am going to try)

tom5955
27th March 2010, 09:49 AM
My sister had a problem like this, she took it in and they replaced the logic board, the ram and the HD, not sure if that helps.

beadsonline
27th March 2010, 12:12 PM
My sister had a problem like this, she took it in and they replaced the logic board, the ram and the HD, not sure if that helps.

Yes it was the logic board - fingers crossed its not also a hard drive problem.

I took it into the apple store first thing in the morning and it seems if you have a mac book pro they have a drop off service which they will get back to you with in 24 hours. When I called apple support they didn't mention this service instead trying to get me to make an appointment in four days time with the genius bar.

I heard back from the apple store in 3 hours and they told me it was the logic board but its a big repair job as they have to order the part in etc... and they will have the computer ready in 5-7 days

Finger crossed I get the computer back with my data in tack.

Judith