PDA

View Full Version : Which spec are you going to buy?

samuelowens
26th March 2010, 08:35 PM
So, now that you have had a bit of time to think about it, what spec iPad are you going to get?

I'm currently wrestling with the decision to either get the absolute basic wi-fi 16GB model (for use around the house), or going for a 32GB 3G model (so I can commute with it, and use it on the odd occasion I go to the country; I probably don't need 64GB).

ozerus
26th March 2010, 08:40 PM
32g 3G (with telstra) then away with my iPhone and bring on Email based SMS and Skype (for those moments I'm not feeling anti social (rare blue moon type times)) I was thinking about the 64 but really, I'm not going to need it, for those times I'm actually away from wifi (I can access all my mates/families wifi connections) I'll already have all the media I want with me and on wifi using airvideo for streaming video to the ipad

opilot87
27th March 2010, 12:24 AM
Undecided on purchase yet, will have to try one. But if I do, it will the the base model, 16GB Wifi. I mainly want it to browse the web on the couch at home. Storing photos on there also for display. Don't need more than 16GB, and don't want to pay much more than what they go for for such a device.

It would have been really nice to take away on holiday occasionally and to uni sometimes, and was planning to tether to my iphone. However we now know that won't be an option, and probably tipped me against getting one. No way i'm paying for the inconvenience of getting another SIM just for the occasions I want to use it away from home, and pay for data which will expire etc etc. My iPhone will have to do.

Ollie

JWrigley
27th March 2010, 01:52 AM
64GB Wifi only - I was the first to jump at Anthony's offer :)

Looking forward to trying it out as a laptop replacement. I know there will be things that I will find limiting, but that way I'll be able to give people that ask me about the iPad an accurate idea of what you can and can't do with it :)

Paris
27th March 2010, 04:09 AM
64GB WiFi models for our development, initially.

Unless I, for some reason, don't find the lack of 3G crippling I then intend to buy a 3G 64GB model for myself.

bawpcwpn
27th March 2010, 06:42 AM
I'd love a 64GB but I am going to get a 16GB in SF next week because I can only afford that. But really, it's all I need. I want it for feed reading and web browsing. My iPhone will probably still be my main portable music device. I don't catch a bus or anything, and don't really sit around at home on the couch listening to music. I'll put some music on it but 16GB should be perfect for some books, some music, a couple of movies and everything else. I'll end up getting a 64GB iPhone when they come out. That will compensate.

melbmac
27th March 2010, 08:33 AM
I find it somewhat interesting that on an apple forum the not buying one option is ahead...

Maybe all the iPad fanatics have had their attention focused else where????

DagrtheSnide
27th March 2010, 08:40 AM
Around 75% of people who have voted are buying a iPad in some form, around 25% are not.

I'm not buying one in it's current form, maybe in the next generation or two.

snark
27th March 2010, 08:45 AM
I'm waiting for Mk II

gameon
27th March 2010, 08:46 AM
32gb wifi & 3g for me

i remember going from the wifi touch to the iphone 3g
3g is a much better experience than finding wifi hotspots when out and about

Ken S
27th March 2010, 12:53 PM
32gb wifi & 3g for now ... then this will be come the wife's when the net version comes out and I'll get the top model then.

kevinnugent
27th March 2010, 01:38 PM
I've got 2x 32gb ones reserved for pickup at West 14 Street on Saturday.

dickg
27th March 2010, 03:19 PM
Dumb question coming up. I have satellite broadband with a modem connected to my 24" iMac. I don't get out much due to a disability. Can I somehow connect with wifi or do I need 3G? (I would use one mainly for ebooks or possibly newspapers.)

dickg
27th March 2010, 03:21 PM
Oops - the modem to iMac connection is ethernet.

MightyAtom
27th March 2010, 05:19 PM
Oops - the modem to iMac connection is ethernet.

You could create an ad-hoc wi-fi network. Essentially sharing the iMacs connection via wi-fi. The iMac would need to be on whenever you're using the iPad. Or buy an AirPort Express and connect it to the modem.

reemixx
27th March 2010, 09:59 PM
16GB WiFi for me. Don't need much storage as I won't be using it for music, and plan to stream movies from my iMac for couch viewing. It'll mostly be for web surfing and writing (have to see how it goes for the latter, whether keyboard is necessary, etc).

303-Acid
27th March 2010, 11:01 PM
I'm not buying one. My iPad Mini (iPod Touch) does a great job for now. We may get one at work to test for our sales team to enter online applications out in the field.

scruffie
28th March 2010, 07:12 AM
Not buying one either.
Learnt the hard way to never buy rev A, plus I've been smitten by android :)

marc
28th March 2010, 10:13 AM
16GB Wifi iPad ASAP, then 32GB Wifi + 3G as soon as they're available.

PCKid
28th March 2010, 06:40 PM
64GB+3G. Live in Perth so WiFi Hotspots are pretty much non existent. Some shopping centres have it via Telstra but you gotta pay. I'm hoping Telstra will sell a MicroSD data card that you can just top up as you need it.

wolfie
28th March 2010, 06:42 PM
cant decide bwteeen the 32 or 64 gig of the 3G versions.

money not a factor, though dont want to buy something if im not going to use the space.