PDA

View Full Version : How *not* Too Clean The Keyboard On Your Ibook...

MisterFnord
26th August 2005, 09:24 AM
Hi guys

I had to share this one with you. I was in tears when i got the email.

A good friend of mine had asked some advice on how to clean her ibook - keys were getting stuck from the grit and grime and wear and tear and she had also worn off nearly all of the letters - (she is a chef and i must admit her ibook takes some serious damage, including once carting it on a trip through the desert with a Bedouin tribe).

So if anybody has any advice//where to get a replacement keyboard/spare parts (cheap?) it's an 800mhz iBook (few years old obviously)...

Sorry for the capitals....

F*#K! F*#K! F*#K! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS I VACUMMED UP A KEY AND EVEN THOUGH I
HAVE SIFTED THROUGH VACCUUM CANOT F*#KING FIND IT - THE SPACE ABR IS F*#KED
INOE HAVE TAB ONDELTE AND TWO KEYS THAT WILLNOT PRESS BACK - WHAT THE HELL
BUT I WILLNOT E ABLE TO AFFORD ANENWCOMPUTER UNTIL END OF YEAR SO THIS IS
GOINGTO BE VERY ANNOYING - MAYBE I CAN SWAP THE KEYOARD FROM THE OLD G3 TO
THIS ONE???

THE OLD BAT

Edit - sorry removed mildly offensive words....

macmate
26th August 2005, 09:27 AM
keyboards are very expensive...... if you want a quote on one just private me the serial number of the machine and i will get you some idea of what an apple service centre will charge you.

iMick
26th August 2005, 09:37 AM
Isn't it amazing how things just disappear into the ether when they enter a vacum cleaner bag??

I reckon NASA should look into this to solve the worlds rubbish problems.

the_OM
26th August 2005, 09:42 AM
I've found that sometimes apple stores keep spare keyboards lying around that they'll give you individual keys off of.

I know this was the case when I broke my tab key on my ibook pulling it off to clean it, and again with one of my function keys. Can't help but try and see if a local one will give her individual keys off a spare one they have.

purana
26th August 2005, 09:53 AM
Hrmm pretty amusing, I think a mod should remove certain words though... surprised it hasn't already be done.

MisterFnord
26th August 2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the ideas. Im going to lend her a USB keyboard ive got lying round in the interim at least she can keep working at her usual frantic pace.

When i get a chance ill look at the unit and get the s/n of it and find out what specific keys she has 'lost' :) I was actually going to look on Ebay as well as often i have seen ibook parts for sale on there and thought that might be a way of getting her out of her 'predicament...

And yes, i have chastised her sufficiently for being a silly billy!

-Andrew

iMick - .. i once worked for a strange old fellow who had written a story about a dimension of lost socks and lost keys. etc (basically where everything goes you misplace) maybe that's where the keys have gone ? The great lost sock dimension in the sky.....

iMick
26th August 2005, 10:10 AM
LOL socks and cross dimensional threory in the same sentence.

I would also recommend a can of compressed air to avoid this situation in the future :) As the say "correct tools correctly"

the_OM
26th August 2005, 10:18 AM
Try various mac forums too MisterFnord.
A few years back there was a guy on the macnn forums who had a spare ibook keyboard that would send off individual keys to people who requested them. Its all about the community here in the macweb.

You never know, you might get lucky.