PDA

View Full Version : Pc Query

Georgina EG
26th August 2005, 08:56 AM
I have an elderly friend with a PC who uses it just to write letters, but the computer man she bought it from last year has set it up so that the word-processing window can't be dragged. My friend doesn't seem concerned, and questioned why she would want to drag a window. I resize and move mine around a lot - even those behind the front one, so I'm puzzled why a window doesn't move.

Not that I wish to interfere with her computer man's input, but why is it so?

TorranceTM
26th August 2005, 09:07 AM
Is it maximized and is this why the window can't be moved?

geektechnu
26th August 2005, 09:11 AM
Having used PCs most of my life (and using one to type this right now), I find this very odd - do you know what wp program your friend is using? Afaik, there is easily accessibe no setting in Windows to stop windows being moved around - maybe this "feature" (*cough*) is software specific?

I understand why your friend is not concerned. On a PC you maximise a window and it fills the screen entirely. On a mac most apps pretty much never fill the entire screen unless you resize them by hand. I actually prefer the PC way myself.

From your friend's pov, there is no urge to move/resize a window because you can't see anything around it, therefore you are only concerned with the one window at a time. As a reuslt a maximised window feels perfectly positioned all the time.

Georgina EG
26th August 2005, 12:42 PM
Yes, it is large size, so much so that not even the Trash icon can be seen, but that itself shouldn't stop it being moved. At one time I was able to drag it away to access the desk top, but after her computer man visited a day or two later, the window was as solidly in place as the Great Pyramid.

The computer was new last year and installed with whatever Microsoft software was available, but much has been customised because of my friend's single-minded eccentricities; she even told him to take the speakers away because she didn't buy CD's. An eMac would have been perfect for her, but her daughter living 30 miles away convinced her otherwise. The customisation seems to have created recurring problems, and although sometimes I can help, I'm not a computer geek.

Disko
26th August 2005, 12:48 PM
if it is infact maximised, then this would be the solution. it is quite simple so its worth a shot.

(see attached pic)

TorranceTM
26th August 2005, 01:09 PM
.. Or double click the "Title bar" at the top of the screen - this switches between windowed and maximized.

geektechnu
26th August 2005, 02:15 PM
The "maximise/restore" button (as indicated by Disko) should be the logical equivalent of the "+" button on OS X.

I have to admit now that the Windows implementation actually seems to make more sense to me. I don't really understand the osx logic of hitting a "+" button to switch between a non-fullscreen window and a still-not-quite-fullscreen window.

Probably the only thing I can't get used to on a mac.

Georgina EG
26th August 2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks, I shall try the suggestions when I see my friend on Sunday after visiting my mum at the nursing home.

Oh dear, my mum is unwell, she stopped breathing yesterday and turned blue. They've said that her pacemaker has stopped, and to-day she didn't look well at all. Sorry to change the topic, but I'm very upset and have no one at home with me.

Johnny Appleseed
26th August 2005, 07:01 PM
Which word processing application is it exactly? Some Windows apps have a "tiling" option that locks windows in to certain positions on the screen. If you look through the menus there could be an "unlock" option.

Georgina EG
28th August 2005, 07:54 PM
I've visited my friend and tried out the suggestions by TorranceTM and Disko, and both worked.

However, although she was fascinated by the exercise seeing her word processing page disappear in different directions and being able to access her multitude of icons (most for writing letters), she wanted it back to what it was before saying "why would I want to move a window?"

At least I now know what to do when I need to help out. What's that I heard you say Matt, the blind leading the blind?

Byrd
28th August 2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Georgina EG@Aug 26 2005, 05:32 PM
Oh dear, my mum is unwell, she stopped breathing yesterday and turned blue. They've said that her pacemaker has stopped, and to-day she didn't look well at all. Sorry to change the topic, but I'm very upset and have no one at home with me.
OT: I dearly hope everything is OK with your mother Georgina :(

Pacemakers have set lifespan, so hopefully a new one will make everything OK :)

JB

Georgina EG
28th August 2005, 11:16 PM
Thank you for your concern Byrd, unfortunately my mother is too old and frail for a new pacemaker. Generally when batteries fail the units are replaced in total, though the wires to the heart are not removable because they attach themselves to the heart muscle.

I have a dual chamber pacemaker so I'm familiar with their application. In my case the electrical impulses have to coordinate upper and lower chambers of my heart to keep it beating above 60. Prior to having it inserted my heart was stopping, the graph showing flat-lining at night.

For insertion of the unit I was given a mild sedative, oxygen, and a sack was put over my head (they didn't want me to frighten the cardiologist?), and although I was told I wouldn't know anything about it, we chatted along the way. Very uncomfortable as the wires were inserted through the vein and under my breastbone to thread through to the heart.

http://www.guidant.com/webapp/emarketing/c...=prod&lev2=pace (http://www.guidant.com/webapp/emarketing/compass/comp.jsp?lev1=prod&lev2=pace)