PDA

View Full Version : How will the ipad deal with files like wmv? Or...

davedave
25th March 2010, 02:30 PM
Just wondering how the ipad will deal with email attachments that contain, for eg: wmv files?

Currently we use flip for mac or vlc etc... on a desktop or laptop.

I realise that this issue exists on the iphone too, but the ipad is sort of in a different league.

Any ideas?

decryption
25th March 2010, 02:32 PM
WMV files just won't work. No dice.

Brains
25th March 2010, 03:38 PM
davedave, the iPad is just an iPod Touch with a bigger screen, that's all -- it runs iPhoneOS, just like the iPhone and Touch. Any limitations they have will be identical on the iPad.

davedave
25th March 2010, 04:29 PM
Fair enough.
Just a though since the ipad is being touted as a netbookish, laptopish, media deviceish alternative.

The average punter would probably see mail.app being demo'd and assume they could do the same things as they currently do with their mail.app or outlook email client.

I realise the outlook and mail do not actually play the wmv file, this is done by quicktime (with a plugin), vlc, Windows MediaPlayer etc...

snark
25th March 2010, 05:55 PM
... it runs iPhoneOS, just like the iPhone and Touch...

Or does it run a modified / tweaked / beefed up iPhoneOS?

Maybe users will be allowed to install additional codecs.

Keving
25th March 2010, 06:39 PM
Or does it run a modified / tweaked / beefed up iPhoneOS?

Maybe users will be allowed to install additional codecs.

If you know Apple, you know this will never happen.

Paris
27th March 2010, 04:13 AM
If you know Apple, you know this will never happen.

Mostly because the iPad (as with the iPhone) has a hardware h264 decoder.

snark
27th March 2010, 08:44 AM
You don't think we'll ever see VLC for the iPad then?

cosmichobo
27th March 2010, 08:46 AM
So - there is no software solution - 3rd party app, even if needed via unlocking - that can use the iPhone/Pod/Pad's processor to run a non-native codec?

The Fluffy Duck
1st April 2010, 02:12 PM
Ah the joys of a 100% closed system. My advice is jailbreak they thing and wait for some bright spark hacker to port perian and wmv codecs to the device.

This locked in model is far to lucrative for apple, than to worry about consumer choice and functionality.