PDA

View Full Version : Issue seeing files on D-link NAS via Macbook Pro

Dude181066
24th March 2010, 08:57 PM
Hi, this may get a bit complex and may be an issue with my NAS or router rather than my Macbook

I have a home network with a Linksys WRT610n router, A D-LINK DNS323 NAS with a Macbook Pro and a couple of PC's hanging off it. All are connected via ethernet cables as well as the option for the Mac & Laptop to use wireless

The issue is that from all the PC's I can view the files on the NAS and have it mapped as a network drive but I can't see the NAS or acess any of its files from the Macbook. I can ping the IP address of the NAS(set up as a static IP) from the Mac and I can also log into the admin function of the NAS via a browser and view all the settings so I have no issues with connectivity to the NAS from the Mac. I just can't get "Finder" to show the NAS as a shared option. I can see the other 2 PC's they I have set up to share as "Shared" devices in Finder but not the NAS.

On one of the PC's I have the Cisco Network Manager software that came with the router and I can see the MAC as "Online" via the diagnostic tools.

I just can't get the MAC to see the NAS !!!!!!!!!

Help if you can

Thanks
Dude181066

Brains
24th March 2010, 10:09 PM
Don't confuse "MAC" (Media Access Controller) with "Mac" (short for Macintosh). Yes, we're fussy about such things :p

Finder is well known for being a dogcow when it comes to network shares, and will often take multiple tries of clicking on and off the Network icon before things will show up, and several more attempts to connect once it's there. What usually works first go is the "Connect to server" function in the 'Go' menu. Type in the address (smb://ip.of.nas.box) and you should jump straight to it, then authorise and mount a volume.

Once you do have a successful mount, make an alias of it and keep it in the desktop or in your Dock or somewhere else handy. When you want to access the share, open the alias and you'll auth and mount straight off the bad.

Dude181066
26th March 2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks, that worked a treat and I can now view my NAS. I am new to the world of Mac after several friends gave me a hard time to get one and I am still finding my feet. Some things just don't seem as easy as PC such as this.

On the "Alias" function, this is greyed out under the "File" menu so is there any trick to getting this to work?

Thanks again

Dude181066

Brains
26th March 2010, 11:23 PM
Aye, there is.

Hold down both Command (Apple) and Option (Alt) -- you'll see the mouse pointer change to a curvy hook -- and then drag the icon of your mounted share somewhere else on the desktop (such as just underneath), then let go. The new file is an alias (aka shortcut) to the NAS drive. If you drag the original NAS drive to the Trash (or right-click and choose 'Eject') the alias remains behind, and can be tucked anywhere you like that's quick to access. Simply double-clicking the alias will mount the NAS, enter your username and password for you, and open it in a new window.

Alternatively, simply drag the mounted NAS drive icon into your Dock, into the area on the right next to the Trash. You treat it just like an alias, but a single click will mount the NAS if it is not already mounted (as per above) and open it in a new window.

MikesMultiMedia
7th May 2013, 10:08 AM
I know this may be an old thread, but I was having problems logging onto my NAS drive. Scenario was more perplexing where I was able to access the drive using Windows 7 Home Premium x64 under Parallels v8 on the MBP running OSx v10.8.3.
I tried every settings area I was familiar with and then some to try to figure out why windows (inside of the MBP) was able to access the drive but the MBP wasn't able to ? Very confusing.
And your right about Finder being very mickey mouse in terms of working with files on the computer anywhere either in the MBP's partition, the BootCamp Partition (Windows 7 HP Standalone) and then on the Parallels v8 Windows file. I've had to install Paragon's NSF for windows and NTSF for Mac on each side to get them to try to talk to each other so I can easily work with files from an NTSF external drive or on the Bootcamp drive (NTSF) - I'm not a fan of exFAT b/c when I was testing it, Windows tried to do a Fix errors on it and the structure was destroyed. So I'd rather install Paragon and work with trusty NTSF vs. wondering when the next crash will be under exFAT.
Anyway, back to your simple navigation suggestion to find the drive using 'Go' and then "Connect to server". I had to "browse" for the network drive, which this time, it was able to find and then access under the browse search feature under 'connect to server."

Did any of that make sense? Okay, I've only been working with the MBP and Mac and OSx 10.8.3, Parallels v8, and Bootcamp for about 3 weeks now and have not lost interest yet and am getting above the learning curve and into production curve with the new laptop.

Thanks.