PDA

View Full Version : Incoming connections

Granny Smith
24th March 2010, 10:23 AM
Morning.
All of a sudden - and for no reason I can work out - my iMac has suddenly started asking me repeatedly whether I want to allow [insert name of application here] to accept incoming connections".
Word, Acrobat, even Finder are among the apps that have recently posed the question.
Any ideas what's going on? I'm running 10.6.2.
GS

Lutze
24th March 2010, 12:34 PM
Have you recently installed Little Snitch or something similar?

Granny Smith
24th March 2010, 02:48 PM
No - there's nothing that I've recently installed that I can think of.
I went to the Security preferences pane and under the Firewall tab I deleted all of the applications for which incoming connection settings had been set. It's settled down considerably since then; Acrobat is the main offender now, it seems.

Balthazar
24th March 2010, 02:51 PM
It is your firewall asking you if you want to allow programs to connect to an external source,

You can switch your firewall off (NOT RECOMMENDED) or just put up with this for a bit to set your preferences.

Smokebelch
24th March 2010, 02:52 PM
Littlesnitch just monitors outgoing connections.

That's a warning from the inbuilt firewall (preferences - Security - Firewall). Maybe it's been reset.

Do the warnings keep coming up even after you've allowed them access?

Granny Smith
24th March 2010, 03:10 PM
Part of the problem is the dialogue box flashes up on the screen for so little time it's a challenge to hit any button at all.

Smokebelch
24th March 2010, 05:56 PM
I can't understand why the warning would disappear so quickly. It should stay around for about a minute or so.

How about removing the app from the firewall preference. Then open the app and be prepared to hit accept as soon as the warning pops up?