PDA

View Full Version : Working at Apple v Microsoft

psjk88
23rd March 2010, 03:36 PM
YouTube - Microsoft Protege TV - Ep 2: A Day In The Life of... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TuSf7TOdmY)

First time I've seen a Microsoft video about working in the Aussie HQ.

Not bad, not bad.

Although I'm not sure if we'd be able to use macs there :p

dekco
23rd March 2010, 06:33 PM

Although I'm not sure if we'd be able to use macs there :p
if you were running bootcamp why not?

gehenna
23rd March 2010, 07:00 PM
I'm the only non-developer at my company and they ALL use MS dev tools. I am also the only one with a Mac, actually 3 Mac's on my desk. Good companies will provide the tools that enable someone to be good at their job. Crap companies will force you into using something you have passion for.

W2ttsy
24th March 2010, 10:44 AM
it was interesting to see the low production values used in that video. I guess if they are restricted to working with windows movie maker then it doesnt surprise me.

if that was supposed to be a recruitment video then i wasnt too interested at all...

kungfucamel
24th March 2010, 02:02 PM
You would be able to if you worked in the Mac division of Microsoft... the iPhone on the other hand...

bartron
24th March 2010, 03:14 PM
Why does Mitch the marketing intern drive a Porsche to work?

happyfrappy
24th March 2010, 07:56 PM
it was interesting to see the low production values used in that video. I guess if they are restricted to working with windows movie maker then it doesnt surprise me.

if that was supposed to be a recruitment video then i wasnt too interested at all...

Microsoft pressures employees to use all things Microsoft from hardware(keyboards/mice/webcams/Zunes) to software, that is a reason why I've rejected job offers from them many many times... in the past I've taken a tour of a local office/free lunch, yet I won't accept the job. They'd have to pay me $90,000+ USD/yr to suffer that kind of abuse :eek:

I'll stick to being an independent developer, I like the freedom of software choice to get work done. If I had to work for an evil company I'd go to EA, at least EA is open about being the axis of evil in the gaming world by destroying innovation one independent development studio at a time.

gehenna
24th March 2010, 08:01 PM
Microsoft pressures employees to use all things Microsoft from hardware(keyboards/mice/webcams/Zunes) to software.

My cousin is senior management at Microsoft NZ, and I know several of their evangelists around NZ. I think all of them would disagree with you there.

Incidentally my other cousin runs Sun Microsystems in NZ. I wonder why that side of the family can get a job and I can't :(

happyfrappy
24th March 2010, 10:02 PM
Microsoft in other parts of the world have different ideas to expand use of products. Strategies may have changed over the years, I think using a Unix keyboard won't be popular at Microsoft nor do I think carrying a triple booting notebook(Windows, OpenSolaris & Fedora).

First thing which came to mind when I first walked into a Microsoft office back in 2002 seeing Microsoft/various posters of Microsoft games plastered everywhere: "oh no, what have I walked into..."

nibbles
25th March 2010, 06:52 PM

That just made me think, does windoze... 7 have movie maker and is it any better than XP's version, it scarred me because it was to horrible to work with & that was the point where I said i'm getting a mac

W2ttsy
26th March 2010, 10:20 AM
Personally I dont care as my current employer has 100% mac infrastructure, including the xserves that run our webObjects based applications.

The only hint of windows at our workplace are the few VMs that people have on their laptops for the purposes of testing... which is how it needs to be.