PDA

View Full Version : Copy function malfunction

kaisersozay
22nd March 2010, 04:44 PM
Running 10.4.9 on an iMac PPC 20" iSight
Was Copying a file approx 900mb from a Flash Drive. It got to 758mb and stopped. Left it for about 30 minutes - no change, so clicked Stop Copying. No result. Waited, did it again - same, no result.
Opened Force Quit - only option is to Force Quit the Finder and relaunch.
Took the option and was faced by an odd screen, with my top menu all in little squares - no Dock or anything else.
Decided to Restart - result a black screen.
Held the Power button OFF for 5-6 seconds, went for a walk came back and started up (having pulled the flash drive) and all is well.
Have not had any problem with the flash drive before. Anyone have any ideas on how to quit Copy other than clicking the green button?

Brains
24th March 2010, 08:03 AM
Nope. You went through the right steps. Something had locked up badly necessitating a power-cycle.

kaisersozay
24th March 2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks Brains. I successfully Copied the file again without problem.
When trashing the incomplete file from the earlier disaster, message said 'file in use by another application and if you continue you may cause problems with the application', couldn't determine any application, as none were running. Took a bit of nerve to complete the Trash process, but was OK in the end. Strange.

Balthazar
24th March 2010, 10:46 AM
ANy reason why your not on 10.4.11?

might find better reliability after an upgrade

kaisersozay
24th March 2010, 02:39 PM
ANy reason why your not on 10.4.11?

might find better reliability after an upgrade
Having read that some folks are having trouble with applications after going to 10.4.11, I determined not to bother. Not all upgrades are the answer to everything. I don't have the financial resources to upgrade all my applications which are just fine at the level they are.
I run 10.5.8 on my Mac Mini and am reluctant to move to Snow Leopard. Most the additional bells and whistles are to do with iPhones, iTunes and the like and as we do not get mobile coverage and iTunes (for me) is just music, I am happy where I am.
The code 10.4.9 seemed to me to be the end of Tiger and any upgrade of Tiger should have been something like 10.4.9.01 etc.
Just my opinion and I accept that most don't agree (certainly not Apple) and the application industry has a vested interest in making currency in getting customers to pay for upgrades. If I have time I may start a thread on the Orange Sofa about all this stuff.
Oh and by the way, that upgrade wouldn't have solved my original problem, as I tried the file on 10.5.8 through the Copy function with a similar result.
Leads me to the puzzling question: Why is there no way to cancel a stalled Copy? (When the Green button doesn't work, of course.)

Balthazar
24th March 2010, 02:57 PM
Im thinking mainly from a security on the internet POV.

Have you installed the secuirty updates at least?

kaisersozay
24th March 2010, 03:02 PM
Have you installed the secuirty updates at least?

Yes. I always install the Apple security updates. Also just took Firefox to 3.6.2
No problem with any of that.