PDA

View Full Version : SMS on the iPad?

ozerus
21st March 2010, 12:18 PM
Odd question I know.. however.

I've an iPhone 3G, which admittedly I love to bit, BUT, I HATE phone calls with a passion, I rarely return someones call and my mates all know just to send me an SMS or an Email and going via this way will usually get an immediate response..

So my thinking, everyone who has a mobile phone can SMS, If the iPad can SMS, receive emails and all that good stuff, then I could do away with my iPhone completely, of course I'd have the 3G version with telstra but I could put what I pay for the iPhone into the iPad dataplan with telstra...

Whats also great is eventually the iPad will be hacked and I think it'll be sooner rather then later, so, hopefully and eventually, I'd be able to run Skype in the background if I actually needed it, butthen I really don't think I would need it, it would be more for when I just need to make a call.

So, anyone think the iPad could send/receive SMS's?

Jaste
21st March 2010, 12:26 PM
I don't know about sms but if you friends have an iPhone you can get them to message you using Ping! for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/ping/id303612602?mt=8)

wolfie
21st March 2010, 12:48 PM
SMS is a carrier service, using telephone parts. So no chance it could ever have SMS. Something like ping or what's app is doable though

decryption
21st March 2010, 12:54 PM
SMS is a carrier service, using telephone parts. So no chance it could ever have SMS. Something like ping or what's app is doable though

Well, the 3G iPad does 3G data service, and all the 3G mobile broadband dongles I've seen are capable of sending and receiving SMSs - there's no technical reason why it can't do messages.

ozerus
21st March 2010, 02:27 PM
Well, the 3G iPad does 3G data service, and all the 3G mobile broadband dongles I've seen are capable of sending and receiving SMSs - there's no technical reason why it can't do messages.

Exactly, telstra allow SMS however they have blocked phone calls except to emergency services 000, each SMS is 25c... I just need a way for the iPad to do it.

and Ping really isn't an option, I've mate who don't use an iPhone.

wolfie
21st March 2010, 05:01 PM
What about the bill?
Who gets billed for sending a SMS?
Unless it's done in a way where it dosent involve the carrier, which again it's like ping if that's the case.
Surely if there was a way to do a SMS without actually being billed as a SMS it would have been done now in the jailbreak community?

ozerus
21st March 2010, 05:03 PM
The bill will be sent to the account holder, just as it is done now.

I'm not trying to get around paying for what I use, I'm trying to use things how I want to.

semaja2
21st March 2010, 05:56 PM
The Jailbreak community built a MMS app before Apple and im sure they will make a SMS app as well, i doubt it would be that hard and just like people have said the sim is the identical service to other mobile phones except if you do use it for phone calls it will cost a HEAP..

gikku
21st March 2010, 05:58 PM
Google Voice:p

ozerus
21st March 2010, 06:18 PM
The Jailbreak community built a MMS app before Apple and im sure they will make a SMS app as well, i doubt it would be that hard and just like people have said the sim is the identical service to other mobile phones except if you do use it for phone calls it will cost a HEAP..
I don't know about other 3G providers but telstra doesn't allow you to make voice calls on its 3G broadband internet except for emergency services.

ozerus
21st March 2010, 06:19 PM
Google Voice:p

Is it available in Australia yet?

gikku
21st March 2010, 07:26 PM
technically no, but no serious barrier.
works extremely well for sms.
- free sms
- sms can be delivered as an email and can reply to the email with it being sent back as an sms.

ozerus
21st March 2010, 07:59 PM
technically no, but no serious barrier.
works extremely well for sms.
- free sms
- sms can be delivered as an email and can reply to the email with it being sent back as an sms.

hmm that feels a bit like a walk around to what I'd like, not everyone has access to email while they are out and about, but I don't know anyone who doesn't have access to SMS all the time.

Would be good to be able to SMS and receive SMS messages on a local number.

Aladdin
21st March 2010, 08:10 PM
You could try a service like utbox.net (http://utbox.net/) which allows sending and receiving sms via email.

ozerus
21st March 2010, 08:32 PM
You could try a service like utbox.net (http://utbox.net/) which allows sending and receiving sms via email.

Well damn, they let you SMS and Fax, that's pretty damned cool and it's cheaper then using a carrier plus it's all via email and they have an API beta program!

That requires serious investigation!!

Thanks Aladdin!

Aladdin
21st March 2010, 08:39 PM
No probs. Happy to help.

FWIW, I've been with them for some years, and have had no issues whatsoever.

Plus I like their clean, transparent pricing structure. Aesthetically pleasing.

ausdan
21st March 2010, 09:37 PM
SMSPup.com.au is your answer

laughingbird
22nd March 2010, 10:40 AM
So, anyone think the iPad could send/receive SMS's?

MunchSMS (http://www.munchsms.com/) is the app store sister of the jailbreak BiteSMS, and it works on the iPod touch, so it will probably work okay on the iPad. It will allow you to send SMSs but I don't think it will enable you to receive them, so its only half an answer.

dodo
23rd March 2010, 06:34 AM
How about Pennytel? They have an iPhone app that lets you SMS.

I'm not sure about receiving SMSs.

An alternative could be a web-based service like Street Data (I'm sure there's cheaper), that send you return SMSs via email.

Plenty of options out there in the web SMS world.

ts10
26th March 2010, 09:48 PM
You want to carry an iPad around everywhere? What about if you're in an emergency? Would you text 000?

I see your idea, but it's not a mobile phone replacement by any means...

ozerus
26th March 2010, 10:12 PM
You want to carry an iPad around everywhere? What about if you're in an emergency? Would you text 000?

I see your idea, but it's not a mobile phone replacement by any means...

I've thought about that, but, what better would I be if I stop carrying my iPhone around with me and I've been seriously contemplating that already as it is and yes, my iPad will be carried with me everywhere I go, I already carry a messenger back with me where ever I go, so slipping it into that isn't a problem and my messenger back is never not on me.

Plus in the iPad simulator on the mac, apparently, it can make emergency calls.. apparently..

Castingcrowns
19th January 2011, 07:30 AM
Hi folks,
Like ozerus I would like to use iPad for SMS. I have just started my search for such an app. I know this post is bit old but I am hoping now someone can share some more on the topic
In my searching so far I have found an app called textie, anyone using it?

Cheers