PDA

View Full Version : Kindle App for OS X has arrived

banjo
19th March 2010, 04:38 AM
For those who haven't been keeping up with the news on other websites, Amazon has finally released Kindle for the Mac (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_mac_mkt_lnd?docId=1000464931).

It can show notes and marks, but not make them, and you can't search yet either. But at least you can now read and organise on your Mac.

Jaste
19th March 2010, 09:30 AM
Does the Mac version have the same function list as the PC version or are we a poor cousin again?

the_doctor
19th March 2010, 09:32 AM
Sounds like the iPad made them get off their arses and release a Mac version.

gehenna
19th March 2010, 09:35 AM
I've played with it as a standalone app, I don't have a Kindle. I was able to buy a cheap book (like $3USD) from the Kindle store and it synchronised to the app pretty much instantly.

I can read it, jump to last read page, etc. But I can't add notes or anything - although apparently you can view books that already have notes (presumably if you sync them from your own Kindle).

So it's a bit pointless because I'm not about to start reading books on my MBP.

tcn33
19th March 2010, 09:39 AM
I've been buying books on the Kindle app on my iPhone, so it works pretty well for me. I don't make notes or search text, so the OS X version's present shortcomings don't really bother me. It syncs my last read page so I'm happy :)

gehenna
19th March 2010, 09:40 AM
Ahh yep, forgot about the iPhone kindle app. I'm not an iPhone book reader either so all around it's not much good for me...however it's good to see that there are ways to get Kindle books without having an actual Kindle :)