PDA

View Full Version : Converting Video

little_yoharn
18th March 2010, 05:18 PM
Hello all,
I have a small video of some friends in a VOB format and can not use it in iMovie, is there something that I need to do to convert it into another format so it can be used?

Thanks
LY

cosmichobo
18th March 2010, 05:20 PM
MPEGStreamclip

Make sure to de-interlace the footage. (One of the options when you do it)

Best to change it to DV if you're going to use it in iMovie.

little_yoharn
18th March 2010, 05:35 PM
Ok thanks
But the footage was on a DVD and I just dragged it to my desk top and then was going to put some music to it and the like, so when you say "Make sure to de-interlace the footage. (One of the options when you do it)" I'm not sure what you mean!!

mallo
18th March 2010, 05:53 PM
No need to de-interlace, but it's a box toucan tick in mpegstreamclip when exporting. Use the motion jpeg codec. Much better than dv and betterfile size handling.

little_yoharn
18th March 2010, 06:16 PM
Sorry but still confused, all I would like to do is add some music to the clip is there anything out there that will accept .VOB format or am I stuck with trying to convert it?

BLINDER
18th March 2010, 08:02 PM
Essentially a VOB is a package. It's locked up. Accessible by a DVD and little else!
It's totally unusable to you unless it's converted to something else.

beckcollect
18th March 2010, 08:50 PM
Would Handbrake (or MacTheRipper) rip it from the DVD and convert it to iMovie usable format? That is if you still have the dvd copy.

cosmichobo
18th March 2010, 09:06 PM
VOB is designed as an end product. It's a video file that's already been "finished", and popped onto a DVD to be watched. Not to be edited further.

As such, no, you can't just add some more music etc - you need to use some kind of conversion program to convert the VOB into a format that iMovie etc will accept, so you can then edit the video.

Handbrake, as suggested, seems the simplest option for what you are after. Not sure if it offers de-interlace (?), which I suggest using because VOB files often become jumpy/distorted when you start trying to edit them again...