PDA

View Full Version : Wireless +ibook +directory Access +actve Directory

Cam
25th August 2005, 12:03 PM
Hi guys.. been along time since ive posted here but ive hit a brick wall..

Ive got around 30 iBook's set up to use Active Directory integration via Directory Access over their AirPort cards..

Im running 10.3.9 on these laptops..

The issue is that the Wireless doesnt seem to activate properly at login screen.. sometimes just shaking, and other times logging in half way then saying that their home directories cannot be mounted.

The thing is, when I log in as a local administrator then de-activate and activate the wireless connection and log out, the user can login untill the next reboot.

Anyone got any ideas?

iMick
25th August 2005, 12:12 PM
Dude I have the exact same problem. When you get the magical fair solution PM me pls!!!

The problem is that the airport card wireless driver gets load AT LOGIN not AT BOOT. Thus causes the problem. You will find if you login with a local account and logout straight away all your AD accounts will start working. I have tried modifying boot setting etc to no avail.

Cam
25th August 2005, 12:17 PM
So, make an account for autologin, and make a shell script to log them out?

iMick
25th August 2005, 12:56 PM
I have tried but I don't think I managed to get the script right. You may have more knowledge about this than me. Hope you do! :) I would be stoked to get past this problem as well!

Cam
25th August 2005, 01:39 PM
Ok, figured:

Steps

1. Create a new local user account

2. Write a applescript and save it in the local users home directory as an application. Turn off the startup screen.

delay 5

tell application "System Events"
keystroke return
log out
keystroke return
delay 1
keystroke return
end tell

3. Make a nice wallpaper saying something like, "Please wait..", save this in the local users home directory we created in Step 1.

4. Log out and log in as the local user

5. Go to system preferences, under User Accounts, click your local user and then go to Startup Items.. Add the script we created.

6. Set your background to your flashy new please wait background

7. Log out and log in as an administrator

8. In system preferences under User Accounts, restrict finder to minimal for this user.

Done.!

Now when you restart your computer, it will automatically log in as a local user, wait 5-10 seconds then log out to the login screen. This allows the AirPort driver to load.

iMick
25th August 2005, 01:48 PM
LEGEND!!!

I assume you are at work and tested this on an iBook?

Cam
25th August 2005, 01:50 PM
Yeh, right next to me.. :)

iBook G4 800 :)

purana
25th August 2005, 03:17 PM
Excellent work Cam.

f1_power
25th August 2005, 03:22 PM
You are too good for yourself Cameron. :lol:

iMick
25th August 2005, 03:49 PM
I can't wait to test this myself, I have been searching for a solution for this for over a year with no success. I am suprised this problem doesn't crop up more. Maybe with a full apple client server - solution it doesn't occur?

Speaking of that, is anyone here lucky enought to work in a full apple environment controlled by an xserve "domain" controller?