PDA

View Full Version : unlocked australia iphone in usa - please help!!!

luka99
17th March 2010, 02:24 PM
Hi everyone... please help!

I've followed all the instructions from previous threads which were very helpful..

I have an unlocked iphone from australia

I'm now in the US, and I bought a AT&T Go Phone pack...

I set the phone up to work with the US sim... I bought data online (i changed my credit card address to a US address before i left)

the AT&T phone works.. data and all

i put the sim in my unlocked iphone... (i also restored it on itunes)

i then went on the unlockit.co.nz site to do the APN carrier settings thing... followed all the instructions..

then restarted the phone...

but it doesn't work

i can access wi-fi....but it just says "no service"

i've tried my sim in my friend's US iphone and it does the same thing

please please please help!!

luka

Sebastianmonty
17th March 2010, 05:04 PM
Call AT&T. Get the correct APN details and go from there. You said it worked at first and then you said it stopped working.
By this do you mean you could call, use the internet etc. on your iphone.

Also you say it doesn't work on your friends US iPhone. Maybe the sim hasn't activated fully etc.

luka99
17th March 2010, 09:27 PM
thanks for that.

when i said the phone worked at first - i meant it worked in the at&t go phone.. which makes me think the sim is fullly activated? so i feel like i can't call at&t because it's all working fine in their phone. it's all so confusing!

mallo
17th March 2010, 10:00 PM
How sure are you that it's unlocked? Have you ever used another sim in it other than your carriers prior to this trip?

luka99
18th March 2010, 12:08 AM
I bought the phone outright from apple in oz.. They told me it was unlocked. Also when I restored it in iTunes it said it was unlocked

Back2Bedlam
18th March 2010, 12:57 AM
I bought the phone outright from apple in oz.. They told me it was unlocked. Also when I restored it in iTunes it said it was unlocked

I have done the same, 'cept I moved to the UK.

Have you got access to another SIM card? If so, put that in, check the settings/network/cellular settings are of the SIM you put in.

Then take it out, put the SIM card you want to use in the phone, and don't do anything else. You don't need to activate it in iTunes. If you want to go down that route, do a restore of your iPhone, and when it'll come up with whether it's unlocked or not.

I have swapped around with O2, T-Mobile and Vodafone SIM cards here, and all I have done, is just swap SIM's!

O2 now have a SIM only, monthly contract, with VV, 600 minutes of calls, unlimited text, unlimited data (fair usage ~ 1GB) (also allows data modem use for tethering -fair play though), mms's are charged separately, as are long sms messages. Fast network, where I am. All for 25 (that must be around $48 AUD).

luka99
18th March 2010, 01:36 AM
thank you so much i will try that next.

and thanks for the uk tip... i'll be there next week for a few months so will need to go through this again!

luka99
18th March 2010, 02:12 AM
unfortunately that didn't work.

i put my friend's sim in my iphone and it worked fine...

but when i put my sim back in mine it still didn't work.

it also doesn't work in her phone either.

any other suggestions???

i'm going crazy!

Back2Bedlam
18th March 2010, 04:24 AM
unfortunately that didn't work.

i put my friend's sim in my iphone and it worked fine...

but when i put my sim back in mine it still didn't work.

it also doesn't work in her phone either.

any other suggestions???

i'm going crazy!

Just reading your original post, It appears you got a phone with the SIM yeah? If so, i'd contact AT & T asap. They may be an issue with IMEI of the phone, and the SIM being linked. (just had a quick google search, and it seems that this might not be possible to use the iphone on prepaid) Check this link, this may be the answer

AT&T GoPhone iPhone Update (http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/popups/gophone-customer-important-information.jsp?source=IC9800ipc00jtlIR)

luka99
18th March 2010, 05:38 AM
thank you so much.

i don't think it's going to work.

i'm not sure how other people got theirs working because i've followed all the steps they describe..

hopefully i will be able to get it working in the UK.

Cheers

brawlster
18th March 2010, 06:23 AM
I was in LA in Jan/Feb and EXACTLY the same thing happened to me.

it won't work.

AT&T DO NOT SUPPORT data with the Go Phone packs, which are like our pre paid SIMS. They will only sell you Data that WORKS with an iPhone if you buy a contract plan.

It will take you a long time to get to anyone at AT&T that will tell you this but that's their policy. They will happily SELL you a data pack, you just can't use it.

They had only changed this policy in late 2009.

I had to get a refund. Also, they offered to refund me the entire SIM go pack cost as well as the data as long as I returned it within a month to an actual at&t store.

There is no way to buy casual 3G data in the US....most most annoying.

jb