PDA

View Full Version : Slow Powerbook - HDD or something else?

avolve
16th March 2010, 10:03 PM
My 1.5Ghz 17" Powerbook (2GB RAM, Leopard) seems to be struggling a little (well, more than a little). Sometimes Safari hangs (for minutes), it seems slow to repsond more generally.

I have iStat menus with the CPU activity in the menu bar, and it often shows 100% CPU usage.

Might it be the HDD, or is it a sign it is on the way out? Any other thoughts on what it could be? I have disabled spotlight, so that should not be an issue.

[I was considering getting an iPad, though if it goes, I will need to replace it with a MacBook Pro (which means no iPad)...]

areal
16th March 2010, 10:10 PM
Try verifying the HDD in Disk Utility. Run Activity Monitor to see if anything is hogging the CPU.

avolve
17th March 2010, 12:46 PM
Verifying/repairing permissions required 20 minutes (no red flags).

Verifying disk required 5 mins top.

Around 25 percent of the drive has data, so there are no issues there.

Will see if it improves (have disabled dashboard (which i never use).

AfterBurner_1
17th March 2010, 01:43 PM
try using Firefox and also try clearing stuff like ur desktop, trash and delete downloads you dont need. on my Anitmony it makes a difference wierdly.

avolve
17th March 2010, 03:45 PM
try using Firefox and also try clearing stuff like ur desktop, trash and delete downloads you dont need. on my Anitmony it makes a difference wierdly.

I went back to Safari (4) from FF because i mostly use it at work where there is a proxy server for wireless. Seems FF has improved its proxy capabilities of late. Is there a ClickToFlash equivalent for FF?

As for downloads/trash, they mostly have less than 10 files, so that should not be an issue. The desktop is pretty much always clear (no files, HDD, etc).

~Coxy
17th March 2010, 05:51 PM
FlashBlock for Firefox, although that won't help your current problem.

Any errors in the logs? Hard disk could be dying - erroring out or at least taking several tries to read a piece of data.

What's using 100% of the CPU when it hangs? An application, or kernel_task?

avolve
17th March 2010, 08:46 PM
FlashBlock for Firefox, although that won't help your current problem.

Any errors in the logs? Hard disk could be dying - erroring out or at least taking several tries to read a piece of data.

What's using 100% of the CPU when it hangs? An application, or kernel_task?

Will look at FlashBlock.

Which logs are you referring too.

I have noted in repeatedly with Safari, and will try to see if other apps hit the CPU up as well.