PDA

View Full Version : Office:mac 2004..

gurgle
25th August 2005, 01:02 AM
im wondering, is it worth buying office:mac now with it having been around for a bit?
anyone rekon theres a chance of a new release in the near future?

im wondering if i should buy it now, or stick with the open source freeware versions that are around, either for good, or until another release comes out....

opinions, thoughts people?

AusMac
25th August 2005, 01:09 AM
Really preferable to avoid giving any money to M$. In My Humble Opinion.
It is likely that since M$IE has been dropped from the Mac support list, that Office may go at any moment.

gurgle
25th August 2005, 01:19 AM
yeah thats a damn fine point, but from what iv seen, office:mac is a damn fine collection of apps...

yeah hadnt thought of the fact it mite go altogether pretty soon... mmm.. more to consider

gmask1
25th August 2005, 01:47 AM
Given that Apple appears to have a spreadsheeting type program on the Insider/Rumormills, there will be enough tools in iWork + Spreadsheeting + Mail to replace much of the Office:mac 2004 functionality, should Office not reappear. The price for the i-tools should work out substantially cheaper than office...

spargo
25th August 2005, 01:59 AM
Hi nicmcr,

Not sure about the intention for Microsoft to drop the Office:Mac line-up, considering its origins on the Mac, but if you're worried about it then by all means Google-away and see what you uncover on rumour/news sites etc. Didn't the head of the MS/Mac business unit stand up and say at the recent Intel announcement presentation that they are working with Apple to make sure all there apps work on the new systems, in time for the processor switch? I would think this would include Office, but we all know that assumptions merely make 'an ass out of u and me'..

I for one went out and purchased the latest Office:Mac package when I got my PowerBook 12 months ago, with an intention to use it for work (Word for report writing & correspondance, Excel for whatever it does, PowerPoint for client/techincial presentations, and Entourage for connecting to corporate e-mail/calender systems wherever i'm contracting).

In short, I think its amazing!! I'm using Office 2003 here at my current contract job in London, and its the first time i've found the Windows version to be 'as' good as the Mac suite I use on my PB. When using 2000 or 97 at previous jobs, they were no where near the mark.

Compatibility is a non-issue, and this was very important to me as a fresh Switcher about to begin working as a freelance contractor for different clients, all the while requiring to completely integrate my work into theirs. To this day I have never had a problem.

If you are reluctant to go into the MS suite, then give the Apple alternatives a try? The Pages and Keynote programs are apparently very good, and compatibility is not an issue if you deal with Word & PowerPoint files. There was a recent ATAU member review by the_OM of the Pages program - click here to read it.. (http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=4035)

There are also numerous other non-Apple or MS programs available for word processing, I just can't recall them from when they've been discussed in the Forums - best you go do a search for 'word' or 'word processing', unless others chime in here and name them.

Of course, the choice is yours, but given my chance again 12 months later, I would still buy the package. This is for the same reason that I brought an Apple notebook and not a Windows-based machine - it was the best thing I could buy to do the particular job that I needed. Similarly, Office:Mac was the best software out there for all my business work tasks, so I brought it. Simple.

spargo
25th August 2005, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by gmask1@Aug 24 2005, 04:47 PM
Given that Apple appears to have a spreadsheeting type program on the Insider/Rumormills, there will be enough tools in iWork + Spreadsheeting + Mail to replace much of the Office:mac 2004 functionality, should Office not reappear. The price for the i-tools should work out substantially cheaper than office...
Obviously in my post I am a fan of the Office:Mac suite, but gmask_1 (who posted just before me) is on the money.

Apple now do have an 'almost' full suite, so you probably need to head down to your local Mac dealer and have a play with both the MS & Apple options.. Only then will you know.

I forgot to say that I do use Apple Mail for my 'at home' work and personal POP mailing, and the Apple Address Book/Calender combo for all my business & personal contact info. I only use Entourage (Outlook) purely for business stuff and working on Windows/Outlook-based servers at work, so if you don't have a need for that application, then it may be worth your while looking seriously at the Apple alternatives, and just using Mail and Address Book/Calender which are excellent programs in their own right. Might be cheaper that way also by buying only what you need.

vid
25th August 2005, 03:58 AM
I know this is not totally related this issue, but I have a question on OFFICE, I have had my version "2004" for sometime now but I have NOT removed my "OFFICE X" yet, I initially didn't get rid of it because I had some problems with Powerpoint 2004 (missing images when opening one created in X version) I fixed all of these sometime ago now so I probably have no reason to keep "X" on my computer.
Do I simply just "dump" the whole Office X folder or is there an "uninstall" I can't find that gets rid of more bits and pieces?

My hard drive is starting to get full so I want to clean out as much as I can.

Thanks, Vid

the_OM
25th August 2005, 09:44 AM
I would say that an upgrade probably won't be released until the intel macs are released.
Or maybe slightly before that.

So if you bought it now, it would be sweet........ or you could 'trial' it over at channel bt and then buy it when they release the upgrade (of course we don't encourage piracy here at Appletalk).

and seriously, fuck the freeware crap. Its no where near as good as microsoft's version. You do realise there is a reason that they are the world's biggest software company...... apart from windows, most of their products are pretty good. And their mac ones are outstanding (except messenger and media player, i think they must have had work experience kids working on those)

ifejer
25th August 2005, 10:57 AM
Hi,

Buy mac:office 2004 Academic version if you ever need it.

It is relatively good value for money considering you have Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Entourage for AU$249 and can install it on 3 macs at home.

Added bonus that Mac office looks far-far-far better than the pc version.

Cheers
IF

Ozi
25th August 2005, 11:59 AM
I am a big MS Office fan... I have 2004, and use it extensively. It is invaluable to a uni student, and kicks Applework's butt. Pages may have a nicer interface, but Office can do a far wider range of tasks, and is flawlessly compatible with the PC version, a HUGE bonus. If you need the group of apps, buy it now. I doubt that there will be an update for months, and even then it will not have many major improvements, as the current Office bundle is pretty damn good.

Originally posted by Mr.Negative@Aug 25 2005, 01:09 AM
Really preferable to avoid giving any money to M$. In My Humble Opinion.
It is likely that since M$IE has been dropped from the Mac support list, that Office may go at any moment.

Pfft! If you watched the last Keynote you would have seen Microsoft very publicly pledge support to Apple above and beyond the switch to intel. They aren't going to drop support for Apple: indeed, the Mac version of Office has consistently been released earlier, and with more features, than the PC version. Drop support my left buttock! :lol: Oh and IE was only dropped because no-one with a mac and/or half a brain should be using it. :P

iMick
25th August 2005, 01:39 PM
Yeah I reckon Microsoft is on to the fact that MS Office is the last chance they have a monopoly on. To be truthfull I think that is a good thing. Office on any platform does the job reletively well so I am happy it is the psuedo standard.

Can you imagine the nightmare of the equivelent of the windows/linux/macOS in productivity software. OMG the number of formats and in-compatabilities would be insane!!

Phillip
25th August 2005, 01:58 PM
As long as people keep buying Microsoft Office, and many of us do, then Microsoft will keep upgrading it. If it's profitable, they will do it.

As for iWork, well, it's definitely not a replacement of Office. Keynote is great, but it's no Powerpoint. Pages is shocking, it's more of a Publisher competitor than Word - and it's slow as well, even on new Macs. It will be a few more versions before iWork is a real competitor - it doesn't even have a spreadsheet yet.

The Student and Teacher version of Office 2004, is great value. (Compared to iWork anyway). Basically, you have to a student or parent/guardian of a student. http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=11224&hl=

spargo
25th August 2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ifejer@Aug 25 2005, 01:57 AM
Buy mac:office 2004 Academic version if you ever need it.

It is relatively good value for money considering you have Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Entourage for AU$249 and can install it on 3 macs at home.
Just to add, that's the version that I brought. I'm pretty sure the only difference is that you don't get Virtual PC with the Academic Student/Teacher edition. See http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ for more info..

hawker
25th August 2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Ozi@Aug 25 2005, 11:29 AM
Pfft! If you watched the last Keynote you would have seen Microsoft very publicly pledge support to Apple above and beyond the switch to intel.
Ozi is on the money.

Microsoft won't leave Apple. Not whilst they can screw money out of us little people. Sure, Apple are working on things to rival them, but lets be honest, Unless they work 110% with Microsoft Office for Windows, it's not gonna be as big as everyone makes out!

Until I hear that Microsoft have fired, or moved all the Mac:Office staff. I won't believe they're leaving for one second!

sputnik1
25th August 2005, 05:07 PM
From my experience Office:mac 2004 has been brilliant. I agree with the other comments - in my opinion, both Pages and Keynote are not a stitch on their office counterparts.