PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Sms'ing Through Address Book

fompsweeva
24th August 2005, 11:43 PM
Hey,

Is there anyone out there that uses this feature regularly?

I've just tried it for the first time, and while it allows me to type an SMS and 'send' it, I tried sending one to myself and I did not receive it. I tried this because I'd SMS'd 3 seperate people who haven't replied.

Does anyone know anything that could be wrong? The numbers are definitely correct, as I've been able to contact everyone before with just my phone (they are synced)

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks
-Mike

spargo
25th August 2005, 02:27 AM
I use the feature with my T610 S.E., more than I actually text from the phone itself!!

I send & receive messages from the UK, and while on international roaming I have also sent & received them everywhere from places in Europe and Asia and have never had a problem.

One thing i'd say to check, is whether you have any strange characters in the numbers in your Address Book, such as dashes or brackets surrounding prefix numbers. While they are the same when sync'd to the phone, it might not like them when texting - to make sure, instead of right-clicking on a person's mobile number and selecting Send SMS, click on Dial Number and see if it correctly dials the person and connects. If the call goes through, then it musn't be a numbering issue.

Also make sure the phone is properly paired with the computer.

Can't think of anything else, which us unsual because I tend to go on a bit.. ;)

P.S. texting = SMS-ing or Messaging (it's the quirky pommie lingo starting to infiltrate my ostrayian ways!)

iMick
25th August 2005, 07:36 AM
I cannot live without this feature!! I have a Nokia 6230 which isn't supported but still works. It can't sync my address book with isync but the work around was to send all addresses as a vcard via bluetooth. Time consuming but worth it.

I use it on all my Macs and I have never had a problem. People think I am some type of SMS guru because I reply with long SMSs almost immediately where in reality I suffer from stumpy finger disease and cannot type an SMS on a phone keypad without destroying it.

leharicot
25th August 2005, 08:05 AM
texting does not work with all GSMs. for example, my motorola v3 will sync no problems with address book, but you cannot text with it. texting works will with the SEs that I have tried.

smithster
25th August 2005, 08:17 AM
It's a fantastic feature, one I use to amaze and impress my windoze friends.

As Spargo says: check the number is not bracketed, or doesn't include any spaces.

It works really well on my T39 (how old is that!) syncs with ibook alright but I cannot sync it with the mac mini?? Can send SMS thru the mini.

WTF??

arty
25th August 2005, 09:36 AM
I TXT from address book a lot, especially when writing one of my (in)famous TXT novels - my messages nearly always end up as 2 or 3 as they are so long!

macsyd
25th August 2005, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately the address book SMS doesn't work with my set up - Motorola v620 and D-link DBT122 dongle.

However I've started using BluePhoneElite which works a treat. Much easier and faster than using my fat fingers to thump away on the phone keypad. Brilliant program...pauses iTunes when my phone rings, and puts on the computer screen the caller's details and picture from Address Book. leharicot - you might like to check it out with the 30 day trial, I understand it works with the V3.

macmelly
25th August 2005, 10:25 AM
Could someone explain to a newbie how to do this? :unsure:

Thanks!

iMick
25th August 2005, 11:04 AM
Without getting to complicated:
1. Run the bluetooth wizard and pair it with your phone
2. Open Address book and click the bluetooth icon at the upper left hand corner (below the minimise button)
3. Go to a contact.
4. Cick their mobile phone number which drops down a menu. (If it is greyed out your haven't paired your phone properly)
5. Select SMS or Dial
6. All Done!

fompsweeva
25th August 2005, 01:36 PM
Hmm, well I have a SE z800i on the 3 network.

Unfortunately it looks like this service isn't available to me!

Cam
25th August 2005, 01:43 PM
I have a guide posted somewhere on this forum. I just dont know where it is.

iMick
25th August 2005, 01:47 PM
I was sure it worked with any bluetooth phone? I have demoed mine to wow all of my mates with an upteen number of different types of phones and they have all worked without a problem.

Cam
25th August 2005, 01:49 PM
http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=972&hl=

Disko
25th August 2005, 01:51 PM
Now why on earth isn't that on the Articles index page?? *fixes*

Sorry dude.

edit: better link http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=972

edit2: fixed articles page

macmelly
25th August 2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks! You couldn't spell it out any better for me Disko (sorry....Unadulaterated Elitist)

:D

leharicot
25th August 2005, 02:22 PM
thanks macsyd - i will check it out.

to be clear, texting does not work with all phones that work through isync. motorals are a case in point

work a treat with SEs though

DJY
25th August 2005, 05:44 PM
I use this alot as well.

Love it!
Works perfectly with my SE T610.. and astounds my friends that I can punch back SMS so quickly!
I much prefer to send SMS from my PB - rather than the actual phone.

pb12lover
25th August 2005, 06:17 PM
can anyone confirm that the z800i (from 3) can sms via bluetooth???
if it cant, would it be due to 3 firmware
(in which case ill have to de-brand my phone, more $$$!)

x01_01_01@hotmail.com
25th August 2005, 08:03 PM
When i first read about this i thought cool, but i can't get it to work
Can anyone help...
I have a PowerBook (Current model), and a SE Z1010 (Unlocked and everything - on Telstra)
I can get it to pair with the computer and it syncs' with iSync, and Address Book with no problems.
But when I click say 'mobile' i get the drop down list with all three options avaliable, but when i click "Dial with Z1010", nothing happens ! Should an other window appear or what ?
Also i get the new window pop-up were you type your message (SMS) then i click send and nothing...
But when i call my Z1010 with another phone, then computer tells me that someone is ringing and i can select which option i like... So i guess its paired correctly, but i can send or dial any people at all..
Any ideas
Thank...
/Adam

Edit: I think all my numbers are right what format should they be in?
'0419######' - No space, etc...
Also when i ring my phone the phone knows whos ring, but the computer just has 'unknow'!

DJY
25th August 2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by x01_01_01@hotmail.com@Aug 25 2005, 08:03 PM

I have all my numbers stored as
+61 (STD) phonenumber

eg
+61 (2) 55512345 or
+61 (438) 123456

and they work fine.

spargo
26th August 2005, 01:07 AM
This is exactly how I have all of mine, so i can dial/txt anyone anywhere in the world. Not sure of the 0 at the front is an issue, but i'd assume not.

It may be limited to the SE range as some have suggested, which would be sad if true considering it is such a useful tool.

For those who are having trouble, there's always the usual suspects like Saling Clicker, BluePhoneElite, etc which have more functions than what the Address Book offers, provided your phone is iSync'd and contains all the same contact info that your Address Book does.

grimmy
26th August 2005, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by x01_01_01@hotmail.com@Aug 25 2005, 08:03 PM
When i first read about this i thought cool, but i can't get it to work
Can anyone help...
I have a PowerBook (Current model), and a SE Z1010 (Unlocked and everything - on Telstra)
I can get it to pair with the computer and it syncs' with iSync, and Address Book with no problems.
But when I click say 'mobile' i get the drop down list with all three options avaliable, but when i click "Dial with Z1010", nothing happens ! Should an other window appear or what ?
Also i get the new window pop-up were you type your message (SMS) then i click send and nothing...
But when i call my Z1010 with another phone, then computer tells me that someone is ringing and i can select which option i like... So i guess its paired correctly, but i can send or dial any people at all..
Any ideas
Thank...
/Adam

Also when i ring my phone the phone knows whos ring, but the computer just has 'unknow'!
I used to own a Z1010 and a Nokia 8910i, the nokia sms'd fine however the Z1010 is not compatible. Rather painful given that otherwise it is very compatible with isync and will sync with ical however I could never get it to sms.

Kildare
26th August 2005, 07:06 AM
I use BluePhoneMenu with my Z1010 & it works great.
It links back to your address book so its essentially the same functionality.

x01_01_01@hotmail.com
26th August 2005, 10:34 AM
Well thanks people for you help.. i tried 'BluePhoneMenu' and it worked..
So i guess it is just my phone and address book that don't just click...
Oh well it was a great idea at starters, but i think i'll be ok to stick with having to do my smsing with my mobile....
I'll make sure when i buy my new phone that it is 100% compatiable with every feature of my mac..... ;)
Anyways thanks again everyone
/Adam

iMick
26th August 2005, 10:38 AM
Has anyone compiled a ATAU list of products that are recommended for full Mac compatibility? I would think it would be a very handy thing to have.

I volunteer myself to help out.

On-Site-Tec
26th August 2005, 11:11 AM
Is there a list of compatible phones out there?