PDA

View Full Version : Just Modded The MBP Unibody! (Recommended)

cappuccino
16th March 2010, 10:19 AM
Just modded the standard MBP Unibody 2.26GHz mid 09 model with:
- 4GB (2GB x 2) Kingston ram from MSY ($122 AUD)
- 80GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD from some eBay seller in US ($280 AUD delivered)
Running like a dream now!

I upgraded the ram first, used it for a while, then upgraded the storage to see whether the ram or SSD made the difference... I can say that the ram did allow me the run many many more apps at the same time without any slow down, was running Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Fireworks, and a tonne of ther apps.

But the SSD was also a major boost, the bootup time and initial app launch was insanely fast!... most people will say that the SSD is pointless since once a app is loaded, it is stored in ram and no extra performance is added, and that you only get the benefit of faster bootup and initial app startup... this is true... but the SSD is very much worth it for those that do alot of read / write stuff which cannot be loaded in ram, i.e. databases, video, music editing... and even alot of adobe stuff, since of course, adobe usually requires space on a harddisk used is a scratch space (i.e. space which it uses to write to render stuff etc etc). The prices are pretty good now for 80gig for under $250-$300 delivered, very much for the high performance user that doesn't need alot of storage space... Also being able to work mobile without hearing the hard drive's antishock feature kicking in all the time is very good.

Ran a xbench before and after, 120 score before, 160 score on ram upgrade, 190 on both ram and ssd upgrade.

namman
16th March 2010, 07:31 PM
Do you want a medal?

areal
16th March 2010, 08:26 PM
This seems like as good of a place as any to ask, did you do anything special with the SSD beforehand? Or, do you just put it in, boot from a disc, format with disk utility, and install the OS?

Adding an SSD is the best upgrade. I am often surprised by how fast my MacBook Air seems compared to my Mac Pro at work.

cosmichobo
16th March 2010, 08:50 PM
What brand was the RAM from MSY?

If you walk in there, and say you want RAM for a Mac, do you get the usual PC-shop "oh-so-you-don't-know-anything-about-computers" look?

ZacDavies
16th March 2010, 08:56 PM
Do you want a medal?

Now now, play nice with the other children.

MissionMan
16th March 2010, 09:12 PM
SSD was best upgrade I ever did.

opilot87
16th March 2010, 10:04 PM
That seems like a real bargain you got on the SSD. Unfortunately 80GB isn't enough for me or I would upgrade now, and the 160GB is still a bit exxy for me. Do you mind sharing the ebay seller you got it from? Might keep an eye on them :-P

Ollie

wholikespotatoes
16th March 2010, 11:45 PM
Cheers for posting this mate. Nice to have a simple rundown from a users perspective.

cappuccino
17th March 2010, 01:42 AM
This seems like as good of a place as any to ask, did you do anything special with the SSD beforehand? Or, do you just put it in, boot from a disc, format with disk utility, and install the OS?

Adding an SSD is the best upgrade. I am often surprised by how fast my MacBook Air seems compared to my Mac Pro at work.

the only annoying bit was getting the screws off the macbook and the mount screws off the orginal HDD (dam they really don't want you to modd it huh?), just make sure you have a good mini-screw set with good grip, or you might strip the screw heads. Very easy, just bootup with the install disk, format drive, recover with time machine and your done. or for previous os versions, just install mac os x and migrate.

cappuccino
17th March 2010, 01:44 AM
What brand was the RAM from MSY?

If you walk in there, and say you want RAM for a Mac, do you get the usual PC-shop "oh-so-you-don't-know-anything-about-computers" look?

lol, didn't bother asking them, just bought which ever ram they had which matched the compat specs, expect the higher clock speed, just runs at the lower i guess, i heard that some macbook users are getting 1333mhz ram but on some macbooks.

cappuccino
17th March 2010, 01:48 AM
That seems like a real bargain you got on the SSD. Unfortunately 80GB isn't enough for me or I would upgrade now, and the 160GB is still a bit exxy for me. Do you mind sharing the ebay seller you got it from? Might keep an eye on them :-P

Ollie

they have quite a few: intel x25-m, Computers Networking, intel x25 e. Great deals on eBay! (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=intel%20x25-m&_fcid=15&_localstpos=2165&_sc=1&_sop=15&_sticky=1&_stpos=2165&gbr=1)

I got from: Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB Gen2 SATA II MLC 3GB/s SSD! - eBay (item 130374721483 end time Mar-24-10 16:20:39 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-X25-M-Mainstream-80GB-Gen2-SATA-II-MLC-3GB-s-SSD_W0QQitemZ130374721483QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Dr ives_Storage_Internal?hash=item1e5af05fcb#ht_696wt _1167)

you'll probably be able to get a 160gb for the same price in around 6months, you know how these things so, half the price double the memory every 18 months. probably faster these days.

Back2Bedlam
17th March 2010, 04:57 AM
Unfortunately 80GB isn't enough for me

Geez 80GB SSD...

I put a 1TB WD Scorpio Blue in my Unibody MBP