PDA

View Full Version : Connect phone usb to XP in VirtualBox

pbw
15th March 2010, 11:13 PM
MBP 10.6.2 + VirtualBox 3.1.4 XP SP3

My wife has a Sony Ericsson G900. The software is for PCs. That includes the upgrade software. There are three network interfaces on the G900, corresponding to the three modes it can be in - file transfer, phone sync or upgrade.

I somehow managed to get these interfaces set up (can't remember the details unfortunately), and have run a software upgrade from the VM.

Now I have bought a modu phone, with a USB interface, and PC software. I'm trying to run the software in the VM. However, I can't get modu connected to the VM, because I can't get it unmounted from the Mac. Every time I unmount, it immediately re-mounts.

I've noticed that the G900 is doing the same thing when in file transfer mode, though not in phone sync mode.

As a first step to solving this, how do I get the phone USBs to unmount and stay unmounted. USB discs don't have this problem. When I unmount one of them, it stays unmounted until I re-connect the drive, or cycle the drive power.

snark
19th March 2010, 08:43 AM
Does the VirtualBox menu have an option that lets you connect & disconnect hardware on the VM?
In VMware Fusion you wouldn't unmount the USB device in OS X, you would just connect it through to the VM. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't use VirtualBox - hopefully the concepts are similar.

pbw
19th March 2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have found that the problem is a regression in the 3.1.4 release of VirtualBox. I have reverted to 3.1.2, and wait for the problem to be fixed in the 3.1.6 release.

Anyway, back in 3.1.2, the USB behaves as I recalled from my earlier experience with the G900. I specify a filter for the device, and when it connects, it is visible in the VM.