PDA

View Full Version : Smart folders; exif data

tsuk
15th March 2010, 01:24 PM
I use smart folders a lot to quickly view photos.

For example a smart folder that searches by exif variable "Fnumber" can be used to isolate images over or under a particular setting, which can be a easy to way to look for portraits or landscapes, respectively.

My problem is with the way the smart folders search. You cannot create a folder for all images "equal to or greater than", or "equal to or less than". Each smart folder has to be "less than", "greater than", or "equal to". It means I have to create additional folders to cover the "equal to". You can actually add both criteria to a single smart folder, but it yields no results.

Also, when I create my smart folders I cannot arrange them by "date created". It's like someone at Apple decided that you would only ever care about the "date modified" when using a smart folder. Even if you make "Date created" the search criteria, it still doesn't become available in the smart folder view.

I've been dealing with this for ages. Can anyone help?

Currently using 10.5.8

fother
15th March 2010, 01:33 PM
I use smart folders a lot to quickly view photos.

My problem is with the way the smart folders search. You cannot create a folder for all images "equal to or greater than", or "equal to or less than". Each smart folder has to be "less than", "greater than", or "equal to". It means I have to create additional folders to cover the "equal to". You can actually add both criteria to a single smart folder, but it yields no results.

Um, maybe I'm missing something, but can't you just use less than or greater than one higher/lower than the value you want to be equal to or less than / equal to or greater than.

Like to have equal to or greater than ISO 100, just use greater than ISO 99.

tsuk
15th March 2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah, but that's very messy. I just want the specific criteria, as I often have thousands of images to handle on an ongoing basis.

Jaste
15th March 2010, 04:14 PM
Maybe check out Hazel. It does smart folder monitoring and sorting. It isn't free though.

gehenna
15th March 2010, 04:14 PM
or perhaps Automator can be configured to provide a solution.