PDA

View Full Version : URGENT HELP!!! Deleted trash with no Time Machine. Need to recover files - Aarrgghh!

cheekyage
15th March 2010, 09:21 AM
Hi guys,

I am a new mac user and have deleted/emptied some files in the trash by mistake.

I did not have Time Machine turned on.

Is there any way I can recover what I deleted from the trash?

I was dragging files to other another location not realising the files were being MOVED not COPIED.

So thinking I had the files in the original location I deleted the trash.

I am desperate to have these audio files retrieved.

Any help or assistance would be so much appreciated.

FYI Using Snow Leopard.

koinonas
15th March 2010, 09:48 AM
So just to confirm, you've deleted the files and emptied trash and have never run time machine? If that's correct, then first thing I'd suggest is stop using your computer.

The files might still be on the hard drive (just not appearing in the visible file system). However the more you use the computer from here on, the more likely you're going to overwrite the parts of the disk where your files are (and so not be able to recover them).

One of the other more experienced guys on the forum might be able to suggest some sort of third party recovery utility, but as far as I'm aware, Snow Leopard doesn't have any built in file recovery utility.

For future reference, if you're dragging and dropping files on the same volume, the files are moved. If you're dragging and dropping between different volumes, then the files are copied.

cheekyage
15th March 2010, 09:56 AM
Hi Koinonas,

Yes - I can confirm that the files I had in the trash were deleted as I performed the "Empty Trash" task.

I have never run Time Machine no. I was waiting to purchase a external hard drive as my iMac is still brand new.

I am a music producer and the files in question are all audio - MP3.

I still am a little unsure on what "volumes" mean.

My procedure was I had two (2) Finder windows open and I was dragging files from my "Music" folder to a folder I created on my "Desktop"

I truly hope these files can be recovered as I had no idea I was actually MOVING the files rather than COPYING them.

Lots of blood, sweat and tears have gone into some of the production work that was included in these audio files.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

leon
15th March 2010, 09:58 AM
I have a utility called Techtool Pro 5. It has an option to recover erases/deleted/trashed files.

I purchased it online during a Macheist bundle. Use another computer to do this as you don't want your imac to overwrite the trash.
Micromat - TechTool Pro 5 (http://www.micromat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=202&Itemid=107)

cheekyage
15th March 2010, 10:07 AM
I have a utility called Techtool Pro 5. It has an option to recover erases/deleted/trashed files.

I purchased it online during a Macheist bundle. Use another computer to do this as you don't want your imac to overwrite the trash.
Micromat - TechTool Pro 5 (http://www.micromat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=202&Itemid=107)

Thanks Leon,

I only have one the one machine available - '09 iMac

leon
15th March 2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks Leon,

I only have one the one machine available - '09 iMac

Get a friend to do it. The longer you use your iMac the more likely it will overwrite your file.

cheekyage
15th March 2010, 10:14 AM
So I don't run that software on my machine then?

leon
15th March 2010, 10:27 AM
So I don't run that software on my machine then?

You can burn a version of it to a DVD and then you boot off it.
Not sure if you needed to have Techtool already installed on your machine for it to recover a file, or whether you can use it after the fact.

I have never needed to use Techtool to do this so I don't know.

cheekyage
15th March 2010, 10:34 AM
Cheers Leon.

Any other ideas guys?

Is there other recommended software I could use?

Google doesn't seem to have many options available :(

koinonas
15th March 2010, 11:22 AM
Another name for volumes are partitions. You can think of each volume like a separate "drive" and most of the time each volume will appear like a little drive icon in finder anyway.

Note that "Music" and "Desktop" along with a number of other standard folders like "Documents" and "Movies" are actually all folders on your main hard drive (ie the same volume) which is normally called "Mac HD" or "Macintosh HD."

The other option you have for trying to recover files (I am assuming these are for work) is to ring around some of the service centres. Some of them offer a paid service to do data recovery (get a quote first). And when your in their get an external hard drive and start running time machine from here on.

tobico
15th March 2010, 11:25 AM
How about turning on Time Machine now? That way, it won't happen again.

cheekyage
15th March 2010, 11:39 AM
Another name for volumes are partitions. You can think of each volume like a separate "drive" and most of the time each volume will appear like a little drive icon in finder anyway.

Note that "Music" and "Desktop" along with a number of other standard folders like "Documents" and "Movies" are actually all folders on your main hard drive (ie the same volume) which is normally called "Mac HD" or "Macintosh HD."

All I was doing was dragging my audio MP3 files from my MUSIC folder to the DESKTOP folder whilst having two (2) Finder windows open.

Does that mean I was copying or moving as I am using the same volume (Macintosh HD)?

tobico
15th March 2010, 11:46 AM
All I was doing was dragging my audio MP3 files from my MUSIC folder to the DESKTOP folder while having two (2) Finder windows open.

Does that mean I was copying or moving as I am using the same volume (Macintosh HD)?

Evidently you were moving. As a tip, a (+) icon will display next to the mouse pointer while dragging, if you are copying.

arkenstone
15th March 2010, 12:15 PM
Stop using the machine you deleted the files on immediately. Very simply, when you delete stuff the data is not overwritten, but your file system is told that the space the files previously took up is now free.

The more you use the computer the higher the chance of your computer using this new 'free' space and over-writing your files.

Stop using the drive immediately if you want to maximise the chances or getting your data back.

Mount your drive or Mac remotely from another computer and run some data recovery software. If this isn't possible or fails, you're likely to need a professional service such as Payam.

Again, the more you use that drive after 'deleting' the files, the less likely it is that you'll ever be able to recover them.

Go find a friend whose computer you can use to try some data recovery.

countryslicker
15th March 2010, 04:42 PM
I accidentally trashed almost 600 irreplaceable photos last year (plus other stuff) - my mistake. I purchased FileSalvage online, and recovered everything. Costs $US 89.95 - worth every cent:

FileSalvage - Mac OS X Data Recovery, Undelete Files, Rescue Lost Data (http://subrosasoft.com/OSXSoftware/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1)

But as others have mentioned, you'll have to stop using your own Mac for the time being. Seek out another Mac owner to download it for you.

Hope all goes well :)

Icedhands
13th April 2010, 10:44 PM
I'm a new mac user and did not do a backup with time machine... I was working on a Word document but did not save.. Went to dinner and came back and it was gone. Is there anyway I can retrive the missing word document if I'm not sure it was saved?

Also, when I have been plugging my MacPro into the power source to charge my screen dims is this normal?

Thanks,
Meg