PDA

View Full Version : WTF is wrong with the world!!!

forno
15th March 2010, 07:47 AM
I am lost for words!

Girls ordered to spend weekends with sex offender father | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/national/girls-ordered-to-spend-weekends-with-sex-offender-father/story-e6frfkvr-1225840653601)

iPirate
15th March 2010, 09:08 AM
Wat

bennettnz
15th March 2010, 09:22 AM
From what the news story tells us it seems unbelievable - I suppose there are two sides to every story and no doubt for the judge to have made that decision there must of been some pretty compelling factors. However it depends on whether you feel the justice system is in touch with the views of modern society or has anything to do with justice at all. It is more a system for processing a legally binding resolution. How this decision was made is on the surface seems, to the normal person, very hard to understand.

If I was the mother of those two girls I would be beside myself with this ruling. I would seriously consider breaking the law by not conforming with that decision. It does make you feel depressed about modern Australia. Disabled men in wheelchairs beaten up, Judges giving children to sex offenders, it makes me feel sick.

forno
15th March 2010, 09:26 AM
Children have a right to feel comfortable and safe in their own home! It is also fundamental to the childrens developement

Having a lock on the door does not demonstrate that.

One can only hope that their is a "normal" mum in these childrens lives

Jimbo
15th March 2010, 10:30 AM
Its absolutely despicable, but it is news.com.au, so i'd take their information with a grain of salt...

The_Hawk
15th March 2010, 10:33 AM
That's more than a little screwed up, but as has has been said I'm sure there is more to the story than the media is reporting.

Jimbo
15th March 2010, 10:33 AM
for a more reasonable explaination try:
At-risk kids spark stoush over welfare and parenting | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/at-risk-kids-spark-stoush-over-welfare-and-parenting/story-e6frg6nf-1225828951202)

ClockWork
15th March 2010, 10:38 AM
Its absolutely despicable, but it is news.com.au, so i'd take their information with a grain of salt...

I don't trust a single word that issues forth from news media - with the exception of ABC or SBS.

There are always two sides to every story - possibly more.

Silver
15th March 2010, 07:10 PM
The other thing I'd keep in mind is that in most States and Territories the definition of 'child abuse material' is far broader than most people would assume. It may be this father was a collector of anime, and the judge thought that wasn't 'extreme' enough to deny him his rights.

funky79
15th March 2010, 08:53 PM
now you can see one of the reasons I am Big Fan of Retrospective abortions

welcome to the MFW with all the bleeding harts / Doo Gooders and crazy decisions that are made.

Jimbo
16th March 2010, 10:57 AM
...with the exception of ABC or SBS...

YAY! Keeping me in a job!

ZacDavies
16th March 2010, 04:15 PM
I like Alan Moore's near anarchic beleif in an Athenian ballot style of lawmaking over the current capatalist rise to power model, which is easily corrupted and / or loses touch by the time power is attained.

toholio
17th March 2010, 10:15 AM
Remember guys, if you've ever browsed the /b/ board of 4chan or used Chatroulette you can probably be charged with downloading child abuse material too.

The other thing I'd keep in mind is that in most States and Territories the definition of 'child abuse material' is far broader than most people would assume.

Very true and this is a huge problem. You end up with people doing wrong but hardly terrible things being lumped in with actual criminals.

The best example of this in the sex offender registry in some states of the U.S.A. In certain states you'll be charged with a sex crime if, for example, you are a month over the age of consent and sleep with your partner who is a month under the age of consent.

Suddenly sex offender registries are full of so many "normal" people that it's useless for identifying actual paedophiles like all the armchair lawmakers demand.

There's obviously information involved in this case that the judge has that the revenge fantasists on here and other forums don't.