PDA

View Full Version : Networking mac->pc

D_W_Y
14th March 2010, 06:05 PM
hello mactalk forum!
sorry my first post has to be asking for help but im really stuck!

Basically I'm a long time pc owner who recently moved to mac! I purchased a MacBook Pro from a local apple store a couple of weeks ago and have come into a couple of problems with networking.

Now I am very used to networking on windows 7 and i believe I figured it out on my Mac but there is a small problem. Basically I want to be able to access my pc's harddrive with all my tv shows and music on it, I have managed to connect to the pc using smb connecting to the network address and I can view the "User" folder on my pc from my mac.

Now I tried sharing another folder on another drive and it in turn comes up on my mac however if I try to enter the folder I am hit with an error suggesting the original file is not there.

This may relate more to the windows 7 machine being the problem rather than the mac and I'm hoping someone out there on these great forums might know something I have done wrong!

Best regards to all that help!

bartron
14th March 2010, 08:16 PM
could be a user permissions thing?

if in doubt:
:cmd:+k (or Go->Connect to server...)
connect to cifs://username@win7machine/c$

where username = an admin account on your box and win7machine = the name or IP address of your windows 7 machine
enter the account password if/when asked

you should be able to get to the whole Win7 hard drive then

snark
14th March 2010, 08:52 PM
Can you browse the folder in question? ie. can you see what other files & folders are there, or are you not even able to read the folder?
If you can see other files, try renaming the "missing" file to see if that helps.

D_W_Y
14th March 2010, 10:30 PM
could be a user permissions thing?

if in doubt:
:cmd:+k (or Go->Connect to server...)
connect to cifs://username@win7machine/c$

where username = an admin account on your box and win7machine = the name or IP address of your windows 7 machine
enter the account password if/when asked

you should be able to get to the whole Win7 hard drive then
Firstly thanks for the reply!
I entered the line cifs://david@192.168.0.10/c$ and it prompted for the password to the username and i entered the password i use to login which returned it as invalid, i then left it as nothing which works for smb but that was also invalid :(

I'm pretty sure this is all windows box side problems with network permissions which seem to not like mac os at all.
This isn't a really critical problem and I can get by without it but if anyone knows a solution I'd be very hapy ^^

Can you browse the folder in question? ie. can you see what other files & folders are there, or are you not even able to read the folder?
If you can see other files, try renaming the "missing" file to see if that helps.

i have tried with different folders and the such even a folder in the same directory set up with the same permissions as user but still no go!

*something else as well the place david-pc comes up in the finder sidebar without using the connect to server command and lists the user folder and other folders im trying to share but only users is accessible!

while of course i could just copy what i want to the c drive /users a majority of my stored media is on another slave drive.

cgollner
15th March 2010, 08:21 AM
Try this. Its worked for me.

Open up the local security policy by running secpol.msc Navigate to Local Policies -> Security Policies
Change Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level to: Send LM & NTLM - Use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.
Open Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based (including secure RPC) clients and uncheck the require 128 bit.
Open Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based (including secure RPC) servers and uncheck the require 128 bit.
Reconnect to the share and it should connect correctly.

Chris.

D_W_Y
15th March 2010, 09:48 AM
hello chris,

do you mean for this to be done on the windows machine or on a mac? Sorry I'm not familiar with the commands.

cgollner
15th March 2010, 10:03 AM
Ah. Yes from the windows side.

maclab
16th March 2010, 01:37 AM
Easy fix, get rid of W7 and put XP on!, if your only going to be using it as a server its much less hassle. Networking W7 = Vista.