PDA

View Full Version : MBP - how long do i keep it in the charger?

lostiee
14th March 2010, 12:38 PM
Hi!
So im wondering what im meant to do when im running my laptop for a long time. Should i keep it plugged it whenevver i can (ever if its at 100% charged) or should i only plug it in when the battery is really low (20%)?

Thanks

NILcorp
14th March 2010, 12:53 PM
It's better if you plug it in when only necessary and when running low. It means the battery will have a longer life.

iPirate
14th March 2010, 10:38 PM
What happens if you want to use the computer for, say, three days straight. Does that mean you have to keep watching the battery and remember to return to the computer in time?

What about if the laptop is your primary computer and yet you only need the portable aspect once every few days or so.

I don't like laptops because of this, but I need the portability :-(. If only the computer could cycle the battery for me.

opilot87
14th March 2010, 10:44 PM
Just leave it plugged in, I do this all the time. I have a kind of docking station on my desk which hold my MBP and I plug an external screen to it, and have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. However I like to use my MBP on the couch a lot so I use it on battery power there, otherwise it is usually plugged in. I have over 100 cycles and battery health is still at 99%.

The only thing is that it is good to cycle the battery occasionally. So leaving it plugged in permanently is fine, but about once a week unplug it a drain the battery a bit if it hasn't been used on battery power.

Ollie

NILcorp
14th March 2010, 11:39 PM
Just leave it plugged in, I do this all the time. I have a kind of docking station on my desk which hold my MBP and I plug an external screen to it, and have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. However I like to use my MBP on the couch a lot so I use it on battery power there, otherwise it is usually plugged in. I have over 100 cycles and battery health is still at 99%.

The only thing is that it is good to cycle the battery occasionally. So leaving it plugged in permanently is fine, but about once a week unplug it a drain the battery a bit if it hasn't been used on battery power.

Ollie

Yea it's okay to leave it plugged in but some people I know keep constantly plugging it in and out, which isn't a good thing to do. Like opilot87 said, unplug it at least once week to drain the battery but when you do plug it in make sure it recharges to full capacity and when you do use it for portability fully drain it before the next recharge.